Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-02, 03:09 PM   #1
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Default Your favorite games of 2002

What were they for you? Overall, I thought the PC gaming scene was rather weak.

PC:

Dungeon Siege
Mafia
Age of Wonders 2
No One Lives Forever 2
Rallisport Challenge

Console:

Metroid Prime
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Resident Evil

Letdowns:

Age of Mythology
Warcraft 3
Serious Sam 2

Hyped garbage:

NFS: HP 2
Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind (many would probably disagree)
Old 12-12-02, 03:18 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

OMG, PC gaming blew hard this year. GTA3 was very good and RalliSport is awesome as well. Other than that, it's been pretty dull. I've not played Neverwinter or Morrowind. And WC3 wasn't anything special.

As far as console, I can't wait to move so I can hook up my Xbox and play Shenmue II. I was hooked on the original and I'm so far not disappointed in the little bit I've played of the second.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 03:28 PM   #3
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Soldier of Fortune 2(mainly for the multiplayer)
Dungeon Siege

Both very good online games
Old 12-12-02, 03:49 PM   #4
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

I like Unreal Tournament 2003 for PC and I like Silent Hill 2 for PC also. I got sick of Morrowind real fast, how could they work on a game for so many years and still screw it up. Oh well, what I played of SOF II before the nausea kicked in was nice, GTA 3 for me was kinda boring. Mafia rocks!
Old 12-12-02, 05:32 PM   #5
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Dungeon Siege and Mafia were the most fun I've had in gaming this year...GTA3 is in there as well, but Mafia just toasted that game IMO.
Old 12-12-02, 05:35 PM   #6
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

The three games I really looked forward to was Morrowind, Dungeon siege and Neverwinter nights.

I first bought Morrowind (second day of release here in sweden) I knew that i just had to buy it asap. ... Im an old Daggerfall fan. Man I was soo impressed of the nice envariouments. I still play the game now and then. It gets alittle tiersome when playing it on my old slow comp.

Next in line was Dungeon siege. Game plays nice, very nifty small features that feels very natural. Story really suxx ... (what story btw) way to linear and not very convinsing. Iam looking forward to the Ultima 5 mod that is in the making. The MP part is nice but I guess Im still so sick and tierd of Diablo 2 that I just cant play DS in MP yet.

Neverwinter nights ... Well the game is really different from what I imagine it to be, was looking forward to some more Baldurs gate like gaming but to find this alot more simple. I think the game play is rather nice but there is a big problem with the story of the game. Among all this chaos no one does ANYTHING... its just up to you alone, Not very convinsing if you ask me.
Like in the end of act 1. "- So what are you going to do now when I enter this portal and hunt down the bad guy?"
"- eeh Ill just stay here keeping the portal open?"
"-What about the guards?"
"Oh they are stiff very buissy clearing things up on the streets"
*things to my self: Yeah sure -- Ive just clensed this town completly clean and I _know_ the city guards just sits there hiding from something that I killed along time ago*

Havent played NWN online yet, But Ill try that as soon as my new comp is set up.

But then there was a few nice games I got to play that I never saw comming, Like Gothic ... but that wasnt released this year ?... dosent matter. Played it, liked it
And UT2003, cant say that I was looking forward to this game as I never was an UT fan. Boy was I impressed when my friend showed the game to me and we played it head to head in Lan.
Ill go buy that game as soon as my new rig is here

Well now im too tierd to go on,
Good night everyone
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 05:40 PM   #7
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

OH, online games...UT2003 is good, but I don't think it warrants a "best of". To be quite honest, I don't play online games as much as I used to, I've been too busy lately, but I think online, I had tons of phun with the BF1942 demo, I might pick that up after the holidays when the price drops under $30...plus I played DS online only, I didn't even START the single player game...

As for a sports game, Madden2003 was a lot better than 2002, even tho it looked pretty much the same, it ran faster, and gameplay issues I had were taken care of, top notch this year for sure...the NBA Live demo I tried was good, but it just didn't do it for me, I'm sure it'll sell a billion copies for consoles tho, especially with Snoop Dogg singing on the soundtrack...probably wy NBA Live wasn't on the PC last year as well...
Old 12-12-02, 06:06 PM   #8
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

PC games got better towards the end of the year.

My favs of 2002:

UT2003
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
BF1942
Morrowind
Age of Mythology
GTA3
Warcraft 3
Hot Pursuit 2

Games that weren't so good (in my opinion):

Soldier of Fortune 2
MW4 Mercs
Starfleet Fleet Command 3
Jedi Knight 2
New World Order (that really sucked)

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-02, 07:02 PM   #9
Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
ah yes, very good, got better when patched...
Old 12-12-02, 08:09 PM   #10
SavagePaladin
info*****

The saddest part might just be that DS is up for running

I'd say NOLF 2, and DS gets second place.

Dungeon Siege has a crappy story but the gameplay was very....easy to get into.

Lands of Hyperborea (a mod for DS) is awesome, and I expect some more cool ones will show up soon

Actually I think the crappiest thing in DS was the voice setup. Like maybe 10% of the populace had voices, and they were amusing a first but I've come to realize that most of them are crap.

Anyway, I still love the game so s'all good
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 09:05 PM   #11
The Baron

UT2k3, Morrowind, WC3 (the mods are modalicious), GTA3.... JK2 was an insane disappointment in multi (jesus, it's amazing how people can make saber combat so entirely dependent on one strategy....)
Old 12-13-02, 10:48 AM   #12
styles-T
-========-

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Dungeon Siege and Mafia were the most fun I've had in gaming this year...GTA3 is in there as well, but Mafia just toasted that game IMO.
I totally agree..

DS and Mafia...
I would throw BF1942 into the mix but it was just to damn buggy for me..and the 15second long waits in between deaths makes the game a bit slow..
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote