Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-21-05, 02:21 PM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Killzone for PS2 . . . Have You Played It?

Hello. With all of this hype over the next gen consoles (yes I'm very excited too), one game comes to mind (more than others). Killzone. Was it real or was it not? Well, I'm pulling the opinions on that subject aside and asking a different question no one else is asking. Have you played the original Killzone for PS2? What are your comments on that?

I recently got a job at my local Blockbuster and decided to try it out. This game is pretty cool. I guess I'll just give one pro and one con to shorten up my spill.

Pro - Realism factor. The movement in this game is one like I haven't seen in any other. Running, climbing over objects and climbing up ladders have a very realistic factor to them. I wish I could capture some footage for you guys to show you what I'm talking about but I can't. Check it out sometime if you can.

Con - Obvously, the PS2's major flaw, GRAPHICS. The graphics aren't solid at all. Talk about ATTACK OF THE JAGGYS!!!

All in all, I just haven't seen anybody talk about Killzone for the PS2 and I figured I would try it out for myself. It's definitly worth renting and checking out, especially if you are waiting around to buy KZ2 for the PS3. What are your thoughts?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 05:10 PM   #2
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy
Default Re: Killzone for PS2 . . . Have You Played It?

yeah i agree with pretty much everything you said, graphics are not top notch, everything else was pretty good. though i would love to use a mouse and keyboard in killzone i think killzone is really underrated.
Old 05-21-05, 06:03 PM   #3
GamerGuyX

The biggest problems I had with Killzone was that there was no jump button! I mean come on! Also, the animations were kinda glitchy.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]

Last edited by GamerGuyX; 05-21-05 at 06:23 PM.
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 06:15 PM   #4
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

I heard that KZ for PS2 should have a really poor framerate.. is this true?
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 12:44 AM   #5
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingLordX
The biggest problems I had with Killzone was that there was no jump button! I mean come on! Also, the animations were kinda glitchy.
Yeah, I wanted a jump button too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
I heard that KZ for PS2 should have a really poor framerate.. is this true?
Yeah, when you have a bunch of characters in view. But I've heard that the PS2 has a real problem with the CPU and GPU communicating with each other and therefore is a performance problem.
Old 05-22-05, 06:34 AM   #6
Knot3D

I only tried a demo in a gameshop. I couldn't get used to the controls

I was thinking ; why can GoldenEye (N64) get the console controls right
and this game not ?

About the jaggies ; artistically the game still looks very nice imo.
Old 05-22-05, 06:38 AM   #7
|MaguS|

I thought the jaggies aided in the graphics honestly, If the game was all sharp and clear it would have looked too clean... I love the grity dirty look that the low res graphics produced. Games like COD and MOH make war look brutal but the enviroments and atmosphere are always sharp and clean... never gritty like how war is.

I got use to the controls, they aren't the best but far from the worse.

My favorite thing is the animation for your model, I love how you jump over ledges and reload the rifle.
Old 05-22-05, 09:48 AM   #8
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I enjoyed it... my only problem with the game was that it was on PS2.... and I hate using a controller for FPS games .
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-05, 11:07 AM   #9
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot3D
I was thinking ; why can GoldenEye (N64) get the console controls right
and this game not ?
What!? Hell no man. I hated GoldenEye's controls. Especially compared to the way FPS like Halo control on consoles.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 01:22 PM   #10
Ruined

I thought killzone was weak compared to Halo 2 (had to make the comparison), both in gameplay and graphics. I'm getting both x360 and PS3 (x360 first) since i have tons of xbx and ps2 games so I will probably check out KZ2, but I assume the gameplay probably won't touch Halo3 even if the graphics can.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 04:43 PM   #11
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Killzone 2 is probably still gonna be crap but playing with that controller will be terrible.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:53 PM   #12
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingLordX
What!? Hell no man. I hated GoldenEye's controls. Especially compared to the way FPS like Halo control on consoles.
Yeah, I didn't like the defaults for that game either. Where everyone used the Z button to fire, I used A. Boo yah grandma!