Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-05, 01:24 PM   #1
lionguy

Default How I can to add a separated mouse for second screen?

Hi!

I have a working solution for Dual screen (1 display on TFT 2 display TV). Both Screens are sharing one mouse pointer. I have one PS2 mouse and a Genius USB wireless mouse. If I want to control second display, then I should to move the mouse pointer from one screen over to another screen, but it is uncomfort. Is possible to configure XOrg to use two separated mouse pointers and mouses on each display, so they are independent from each other. The reason why I need it is simple: When I launch something from one display taskbar then taskbar pop up on another display. But it makes trouble for full screen video watching. Automated hiding does not help because the taskbar is not fully hided...
I just tested configurating and I added Mouse1 as Inputdevice and also I added into Screen0 and screen1section mouse0 and mouse1 for each screen separately. Not working: X stopped starting automatically.

Any Ides?

Thanks for any comments!

Last edited by lionguy; 05-22-05 at 03:24 PM.
lionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 03:58 PM   #2
Compholio

Default Re: How I can to add a separated mouse for second screen?

Well, you could run each display with an entirely separate instance of X - one instance uses one display and mouse and the other display uses the other set.
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 05:04 PM   #3
lionguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compholio
Well, you could run each display with an entirely separate instance of X - one instance uses one display and mouse and the other display uses the other set.
OK thanks, but what exastly should I change in my Xorg.conf?

I tried to configure, but I did it wrong.
My current settings of Xorg are:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default layout"
Screen 0 "Screenmonitor"
Screen 1 "Screentv" leftof "Screenmonitor"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Hitachi CML174SX"
DisplaySize 340 270
HorizSync 24.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "tv"
Option "NoDDC" "1"
# HorizSync 30-50
VertRefresh 45-60
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidiamonitor"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
# Edit the BusID with the location of your graphics card
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 0
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
Option "DigitalVibrance" "0"
Option "Overlay" "1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidiatv"
Driver "nvidia"
# Edit the BusID with the location of your graphics card
BusId "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-G"
Option "TVOutformat" "COMPOSITE"
Option "NvAgp" "1"
Option "DigitalVibrance" "0"
Option "NoLogo" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screenmonitor"
Device "nvidiamonitor"
Monitor "Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screentv"
Device "nvidiatv"
Monitor "tv"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

My primary mouse is the Generic Explorer mouse and another mouse is the Genius Optical USB wireless mouse.
Old 05-24-05, 08:49 AM   #4
Compholio

My understanding is that you split each set of devices (monitor, screen, etc) into 2 separate X config files and call something like "X -config xorg.conf-a" and "X -config xorg.conf-b". In order to separate the mice I believe you reference /dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mouse1 in each file instead of /dev/input/mice.
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 04:42 PM   #5
lionguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compholio
My understanding is that you split each set of devices (monitor, screen, etc) into 2 separate X config files and call something like "X -config xorg.conf-a" and "X -config xorg.conf-b". In order to separate the mice I believe you reference /dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mouse1 in each file instead of /dev/input/mice.
Thank You!
How X11 server knows to load two separated .conf files? Does it not causes a conflict and VGA adapter crash?? By my viewpoint X11 uses a single configuration setting?!?

I will try the dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mouse1 hardware adressing in inputDevice section. Then I will let you know what happened.
Old 05-24-05, 05:17 PM   #6
Thunderbird

Two seperate config files or multiple serverlayout sections in a single config file can normally be used to launch seperate Xservers. This won't work in case of a single nvidia card as the device can't behave like two videocards in two different Xsessions. Using some tricks they can be used as seperate videocards but only when they are in the same session.

Further I'm not aware of a way to assing a different mouse to connect a different mouse to a different Xscreen in the same X session. If you really want this behaviour you need a second videocard.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 05:32 PM   #7
lionguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Two seperate config files or multiple serverlayout sections in a single config file can normally be used to launch seperate Xservers. This won't work in case of a single nvidia card as the device can't behave like two videocards in two different Xsessions. Using some tricks they can be used as seperate videocards but only when they are in the same session.

Further I'm not aware of a way to assing a different mouse to connect a different mouse to a different Xscreen in the same X session. If you really want this behaviour you need a second videocard.
Thank You!

Is it right to guess that I should to try fill in two serverlayout sections and make two servers?Something like: Serverlayout0 uses mouse0,Monitor0,Screen0 and Serverlayout1uses all the same values specified as "1"?

Why is so hard to assign a separated mouses for separated screens ? In my case Both servers will always used on one session because logging off is possible only from Screen0. Both X servers will log off because X will stop after logoff. No display on Screen1 after logoff. I am unable to shut down computer from screen1, because it is the virtual screen layout that uses one hardware, shares the same GPU clock and is controlled by one X11 core software. both mice are connected separately, not with Y PS2 adapter: main mouse is PS2 and the TV Display mouse is a USB RF wireless mouse. They both are using separated device addresses and IRQ. Anyway I will go to take risk out and make some tests. I do not like the solution of the second videocard installation, because I do not have any free AGP busses, only two 32 Bit PCI busses, currently most popular videocards are using only AGP...
Old 08-20-05, 06:41 PM   #8
lionguy

OK Now I think is possible to get to working ONBOARD and AGP VGA cards at the same time? My mobo is MSI P4MAM-L with S3 SAVAGE PRO Integrated VGA. Then if it is even possible then what I should to configure in the bios ? If this is not possible then which manufactures are released the PCI VGA card? My mobo have 32bit PCI slots wityh 3,3/5v voltage support.