Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-02, 09:38 AM   #13
=Super_n00b=

Ok i have tried everything i have read in about 5 different forums and im still getting the Faild Dependancies Grrrrr there has to be something simple ive missed but for the life of me i cant figure it out. Tomorrow if i cant sort it im going to QUIT ! My last install i didnt choose anything different and the Nvidia RPM's Installed fine.. "Headers and stuff" ? where do i find these ? i tried the --force and the --nodeps same problem Thanks for the help everyone. Im getting to the end of my rope now
=Super_n00b= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 10:17 AM   #14
Phyre

Try booting from the CD again and do an upgrade. When you get to the point of choosing applications, tell the upgrade that you want to select individual packages. I can't remember exactly where it is, but there is a option to install the kernel headers and kernel source. The NVidia drivers generally like those.

If I had to take a couple of guesses as to where the kernel headers and source are, I would guess in the development, system, or kenel areas of packages.

Phyre
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 12:52 PM   #15
tuxfriend

I think the rpm you are trying to install are not matching your

kernel.2.4.8-26 may be the kernel from mdk 8.1 or 8.2.

Try to check this out.

Or go to the graphics forum and look at the post how to install
from tar.gz.

tuxfriend
tuxfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 04:04 PM   #16
tuxfriend

Lightbulb

"kernel = 2.4.8-26mdk is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk81up" WTF is that all about ??? if i go into the control Center it tells me i have 2.4.19-16mdk "
Yep now I get it:"mdk81up" -your are using rpms for mdk 8.1 as I thought
before so there is no need to quit now.
I should have read it a little more carefully before.
Just try again with rpms for your distribution and it should work.

greetings from germany

tuxfriend
Old 12-15-02, 04:34 PM   #17
Mandarb1

Did you try to use earlier nVidia drivers? Like the 3087 drivers was it? The ones before the 4191 ones.
Mandarb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 04:36 PM   #18
Mandarb1

@tuxracer, I misread your post wrong I should have thought you used that transgaming app. I dont have much reason to pay for something like that because I can still boot into my Win2k partition and play games there If I was completely on Linux, I would definately use transgaming's app though.
Old 12-15-02, 05:04 PM   #19
tuxfriend

@Mandarb1

You dont have to pay for WineX,but I just want to test the rpms.

For me Linux works pretty well with gaming even at Lan-Partys.

I was at Quakecon this summer and believe me I did it with RedHat 7.3

only.

I am working on a linux gaming PC and with WineX I get some extra

games.

And Linux with WineX is a lot cheaper than any Windows,isnt it?

By the way,
I agree:never ever use the newest drivers.

cu tuxfriend
Old 12-15-02, 05:21 PM   #20
Mandarb1

hehe yeah WineX is much cheaper Im thinking about trying it though to play with it and mess around. But, I have yet to make a fake windows on my linux partition and I dont really want to use my windows partition for WineX. My friend did get Wine up and running and uses Trillian and he says that Wine doesnt really touch much of the Windows directory and he didnt create a fake windows drive. He just used one of the scripts for Wine. I might try to get it working though. But Im going to be pretty busy until next summer and wont have time to work on my computer I would do it now, but my time until then is limited...

Old 12-20-02, 04:56 PM   #21
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Bioware's working on a Neverwinter Nights port as we speak.
Old 12-21-02, 09:27 AM   #22
Mandarb1

I wonder if you can use the Win32 cds or not though... I hope so and dont want to shell out another $50 just for a Linux version
Old 12-21-02, 10:01 PM   #23
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb1
I wonder if you can use the Win32 cds or not though... I hope so and dont want to shell out another $50 just for a Linux version
For what, exactly?

For most Loki ports like Tribes 2, you must buy the Linux version. However, for games like Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2003, there are installers available for downlaod for Linux. You use the "Windows" CDs to install the game. Same goes for Quake 3. Download the point release and copy the pak0.pak file from the CD. The NeverWinter Nights port will also be done with an installer for Linux.
Old 12-21-02, 10:39 PM   #24
Mandarb1

Excellent. Well I used the term "Windows" because if I remember correctly, the installer was InstallShield and that wouldnt work in Linux. Although there is a program over at frankscorner.com that extracts the cab files..... but if they are .pak files, then it should work out with a simple Linux installer from the Windows cds. Its been awhile since i've looked at the NWN stuff though...