Old 05-25-05, 08:59 PM   #13
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy
Default Re: Midway Drops 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
Now this is being fanboyish

I don't even know any PC game that has used 8.5GB of space, nevermind console game. XBOX supported DVD-9 for their games, and there was like 1 game out of all the XBOX games that used more than 4.5gb of space (MGS2) and it uses 5.5. The only way a game is going to take up 20GB of space is if they encode hours of FMVs in 1080p. I doubt any multiplatform game is going to do that, and even if a game uses lots of FMVs, it will probably still fit no prob on a DVD-9. Worse comes to worse they can simply encode the movies in 480p or 720p.
i dont see how it was a fanboyish comment.

its next gen, who knows how much content they will put in games now. few years ago we probally didnt have many games that could fill up a cdr, now we got games on dvd's/multiple discs. games for years have been around the same lengths to finish/beat for a while, but the size of them keep getting bigger.

epic and midway are just the types of companies to give us extra content other games dont have. (example: midway movies and info on the making of the game in mortal kombat, epic's extra discs that came with ut2k4) who knows what else they will put in next gen stuff.
Old 05-25-05, 09:03 PM   #14
Ruined

Default Re: Midway Drops 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
i dont see how it was a fanboyish comment.

its next gen, who knows how much content they will put in games now. few years ago we probally didnt have many games that could fill up a cdr, now we got games on dvd's/multiple discs. games for years have been around the same lengths to finish/beat for a while, but the size of them keep getting bigger.
It's fanboyish because 8.5GB is a crapload of space, even for next-gen games. Nothing has even approached that yet, even with games like Half Life 2 using massive textures.

Quote:
epic and midway are just the types of companies to give us extra content other games dont have. (example: midway movies and info on the making of the game in mortal kombat, epic's extra discs that came with ut2k4) who knows what else they will put in next gen stuff.
And? Half Life 2, CS: Source, HL: Source, and 2 hours of extra DVD-video content with DD5.1 can fit on a DVD-9. Doom3, Ressurection of Evil, and 3 hours of extra DVD-video content with DD5.1 can fit on a DVD-9. Or if you like, Half Life 2, Doom3, and nearly 2 hours of DVD-video content with DD5.1 can fit on a DVD-9. That's not enough space for you? Come on, you are reaching now If a company has so many hours of video content they can't fit on a DVD-9 at 720p, they will likely just encode it at 480p. In fact, I'd bet that MS devkits are setup to encode video at DVD-quality, simply because it would serve the DVD-format best. Or even more likely, they will include it as a bonus-disc as has been done for most titles this generation, because an extra disc is a bigger incentive for someone to buy.

The only reason Sony is including Blu-Ray is to help out their movie branch. Has nothing to do with game space requirements, which are easily served by a DVD-9 (or DVD-5 even for most games).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Last edited by Ruined; 05-25-05 at 09:17 PM.
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 09:23 PM   #15
evilchris

Default Re: Midway to support PS3 at launch, but not Xbox 360

pEE eSS tHREE == teH l33t, BLU RAY!!! no blUE Ray == SUCK LOZL1!!

...rofl

Blu Ray is useful for movies, not games. For movies, I'll buy a high end Denon Player, not use a game console.
Old 05-25-05, 09:44 PM   #16
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
pEE eSS tHREE == teH l33t, BLU RAY!!! no blUE Ray == SUCK LOZL1!!

...rofl

Blu Ray is useful for movies, not games. For movies, I'll buy a high end Denon Player, not use a game console.
And the funniest part is, 99.9% of people who use a PS3 won't even benefit from watching movies Blu-Ray because they will only have a regular TV. (As opposed to $1500+ HDTVs). It's primarily marketing to help Sony defeat HD-DVD. Not to mention there are no Blu Ray movies out at all currently. Even if there were, I'm not sure buying any amount of movies in a hi-def DVD format that may be beaten out by a competing Hi-Def format would be intelligent. Or likely just stagnate like SACD/DVD-Audio are doing because regular DVD is good enough for the public.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Old 05-25-05, 11:15 PM   #17
Bad_Boy
god of war.

im just saying, its going to be interesting to see what developers do with so much extra space available. you act like more space is a bad thing? but ofcourse you and steeda support anything that has to do with ps3 so ill shutup. to think, i thought he was 29.

but what if, even if highly doubtful by yourself, what if they can fill alot of the extra space they are given from blu-ray, would midway cut content from both versions of a game, or just one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
And the funniest part is, 99.9% of people who use a PS3 won't even benefit from watching movies Blu-Ray because they will only have a regular TV. (As opposed to $1500+ HDTVs).
whats funnier is that this sounds even more fanboyish when you act like this is just a ps3 problem. the 360 supports hd also, so wont 99.9% of the people who use SD tv's not benefit from the xbox360's high resolutions according to your numbers?

this argument really wont get anywhere until they both come out.
Old 05-25-05, 11:29 PM   #18
kev13dd

Quote:
whats funnier is that this sounds even more fanboyish when you act like this is just a ps3 problem. the 360 supports hd also, so wont 99.9% of the people who use SD tv's not benefit from the xbox360's high resolutions according to your numbers?
DIFFERENCE: The Xbox 360 doesn't come out and say "we aren't shooting for a game console"

The Xbox360 comes out and says "we aim to be the most powerful gaming console and multimedia console out there"

So the fact that PS3 is now claiming such great claim to fame with their HD crap (like "aging" or whatever the hell it is) makes his argument a lot less fanboyish. And yours a lot more stupid

K
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 11:37 PM   #19
Bad_Boy
god of war.

please spare me,
so if the guys at microsoft say they are not focusing on graphics, does it automatically mean the graphics on the xbox360 are going to be garbage. no.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9097
Old 05-25-05, 11:52 PM   #20
Ruined

Quote:
im just saying, its going to be interesting to see what developers do with so much extra space available. you act like more space is a bad thing? but ofcourse you and steeda support anything that has to do with ps3 so ill shutup. to think, i thought he was 29.
I'm buying both XBOX360 and PS3. I am just being logical. This whole thread is filled with illogical assumptions.

Quote:
but what if, even if highly doubtful by yourself, what if they can fill alot of the extra space they are given from blu-ray, would midway cut content from both versions of a game, or just one?
Content would never need to be cut, that is silly. The only way they could fill the extra space is with 720p/1080p video content. If they managed to do that, they could simply encode the same content in 480p/DVD Quality to save space, which would be dynamically upscaled to 720p on playback.

Let me ask you a question. How come XBOX this generation had double the space of PS2 and quadruple the space of Gamecube yet no devs had to "cut content" when porting to either console. Answer: DVD-5 was more than enough, plus you can always go multi-disc if necessary. DVD-9 is more than enough for this upcoming gen. You can fit the top 3 most graphically intensive PC games available (FarCry, Doom3, Half Life 2) all together on a single DVD-9.

Quote:
Because that's not entirely true. If set up right, with realtime rendered graphics even SD users will get a benefit from HD-rendering consoles because it means they could essentially get free SSAA on top of the 4x MSAA that next-gen consoles use since the console renders at 1280x720 by default with all games (at least XBOX360 does - required 720p support on every game). On the other hand, Blu-Ray movies will not look any better than regular DVD on an SD set, in fact they would probably look worse based on downscaling performance of past DVD players, as it is strictly a video source and quality video downscalers are very expensive to implement.

just in terms of resolution, last gen for XBOX SD users it was 720x480 with no AA or 2xQ AA at best. This gen it for XBOX360 SD users it will likely be 720x480 with SSAA and 4xMSAA. In terms of jaggies that's a massive difference. Of course those who have an HDTV will benefit from HD-gaming the most since they will have 1280x720 with 4xMSAA, but even SD users will experience less jaggies because of it.

If I were *only* buying a PS3, I'd be much more concerned with basic things like Sony still not having any decent online service in place, and the fact that the PS3 controller looks like a Batarang. Hopefully they will at least add triggers to it, that is the one thing that annoys me the most about the PS2 controller, especially when playing racing games. These type of things are far more important than Blu-Ray.

Last edited by Ruined; 05-26-05 at 12:26 AM.

Old 05-26-05, 12:08 AM   #21
Bad_Boy
god of war.

I'm just being concerned. Im buying both also, so i agree with your comment on illogical comments. I'm just not as impressed with what ive seen going on with microsoft on the next gen, as i am with ps3, killzone comments aside.

Quote:
this argument really wont get anywhere until they both come out.

triggers on the ps3 controller? im pretty sure i saw them. im just hoping mouse and keyboards will be compatible w/ the usb.

edit:

its a concept anyways, i hope they change it to look more like the traditional controller which was my favorite console controller.
Old 05-26-05, 12:12 AM   #22
evilchris

Quote:
I'm just being concerned. Im buying both also, so i agree with your comment on illogical comments. I'm just not as impressed with what ive seen going on with microsoft on the next gen, as i am with ps3, killzone comments aside.

triggers on the ps3 controller? im pretty sure i saw them. im just hoping mouse and keyboards will be compatible w/ the usb.
There is no way your allowance will be able to get you both.

You're "impressed" with what you've "seen" on the PS3? That's hilarious considering there are no PS3's in the world!
Old 05-26-05, 12:13 AM   #23
Ruined

Quote:
Call me skeptical, but Sony's E3 show with the PS2 was a farce compared to the final product. We saw the same prerendered crap, the same ridiculous PR, and we got crap in comparison. The Emotion Engine was a joke. Hopefully Cell would be better, though I could see XBOX360's tri-core CPU being far more easy to take full advantage of than the Cell. But I see the same patterns and hype as I did with PS2 launch with the PS3 launch. Most of the "good stuff" we saw on PS3 was prerenders. On XBOX360 it wasn't as impressive because everything was realtime, and realtime on a devkit that was 1/3 as powerful as the final console.

Quote:

Hopefully NOT Mouse and keyboard is a bad idea for console. Most people like to play on their couch with a controller. Games have to be programmed differently for controller and m/k (enemy speed, hitboxes, targetting, etc). If a console supported both, likely one or the other would get the shaft in most FPS games (meaning games would be too easy with m/k or too hard with a controller).

But worse yet, online would give m/k users a MASSIVE advantage, meaning everyone would be forced to use a m/k to compete, and I sure as hell don't want to be using an m/k on my couch, thats what my PC is for.

Old 05-26-05, 12:14 AM   #24
evilchris

Mouse and keyboard is an absolute idiotic idea for a console. It's a video game system, not a word processor.