Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-26-05, 12:17 AM   #25
Ruined

Default Re: Midway to support PS3 at launch, but not Xbox 360

from that pic, it looks like the PS3 still doesn't have triggers. L2/R2 look like analog shoulder pads with more range than L1/R1. Which is better than PS2, but still not nearly as good as triggers.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 12:26 AM   #26
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
There is no way your allowance will be able to get you both.

You're "impressed" with what you've "seen" on the PS3? That's hilarious considering there are no PS3's in the world!

thx icewind lol.
i still cant get over the fact that your 29, that has to be some sort of a typo on your part. please tell us the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
Call me skeptical, but Sony's E3 show with the PS2 was a farce compared to the final product. We saw the same prerendered crap, the same ridiculous PR, and we got crap in comparison. The Emotion Engine was a joke. Hopefully Cell would be better, though I could see XBOX360's tri-core CPU being far more easy to take full advantage of than the Cell. But I see the same patterns and hype as I did with PS2 launch with the PS3 launch. Most of the "good stuff" we saw on PS3 was prerenders. On XBOX360 it wasn't as impressive because everything was realtime, and realtime on a devkit that was 1/3 as powerful as the final console.
this was like what, back in 2000. to me, from what ive seen sony has patched alot of its scars that most will not forget. IMHO ofcourse. i guess everybody forgets about the psp, which i think is one of the best things to come from sony's mind. forgive me for actually liking a company.

from what ive heard/read from developers, it wont be very difficult to adapt to the ps3's cell coding scheme. maybe i just have more faith in sony than microsoft, kinda like steeda has more faith in microsoft more than sony. to me with blu-ray, even if it wont be very adaptive in the beginning, it seems more future proof. (and yes i have an hd-tv) Even the non-"good stuff" i saw from the sony conference impressed me more than what ive seen on the xbox360 so far. im sure microsoft will come with some great titles that i will not wait to get my hands off, but in the games department ive always loved sony titles more than nintendo or MS. so we will just have to wait and see on what all three deliver.

there are things that nintendo and ms impress me with so dont get me wrong. so far im liking the MS XBL program where its free this time around, and im interested on seeing what sony does to compete with this. and out of all 3, nintendo definately has the best console design which means a lot to me aesthetically.

Quote:
Hopefully NOT Mouse and keyboard is a bad idea for console. Most people like to play on their couch with a controller. Games have to be programmed differently for controller and m/k (enemy speed, hitboxes, targetting, etc). If a console supported both, likely one or the other would get the shaft in most FPS games (meaning games would be too easy with m/k or too hard with a controller).

But worse yet, online would give m/k users a MASSIVE advantage, meaning everyone would be forced to use a m/k to compete, and I sure as hell don't want to be using an m/k on my couch, thats what my PC is for.
I didnt mean keyboard/mouse as the main controllers but just compatible to use, sorta like the keyboard on ps2 or headset on the xbox. ill definately use a wheel or controller over keyboard/mouse on racing games, but when FPS's come in, i definately want the accuracy of a keyboard and mouse.
Old 05-26-05, 12:29 AM   #27
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
from what ive heard/read from developers, it wont be very difficult to adapt to the ps3's cell coding scheme.

rofl, I guess you haven't been gaming long. Developers said that the PS2 was EXTREMELY EASY to code for at E3 when it was unveiled. They stated that the demos they were running took "5 days" to make since the PS2 was so easy! You are so freaking naive man. Telling me to STFU? Are you getting "tough" on the INtArweb? LOL, whatever "Bad" Boy. pfft.
Old 05-26-05, 12:35 AM   #28
Ruined

Quote:
this was like what, back in 2000. to me, from what ive seen sony has patched alot of its scars that most will not forget. IMHO ofcourse. i guess everybody forgets about the psp, which i think is one of the best things to come from sony's mind. forgive me for actually liking a company.

from what ive heard/read from developers, it wont be very difficult to adapt to the ps3's cell coding scheme. maybe i just have more faith in sony than microsoft, kinda like steeda has more faith in microsoft more than sony. to me with blu-ray, even if it wont be very adaptive in the beginning, it seems more future proof. (and yes i have an hd-tv) Even the non-"good stuff" i saw from the sony conference impressed me more than what ive seen on the xbox360 so far. im sure microsoft will come with some great titles that i will not wait to get my hands off, but in the games department ive always loved sony titles more than nintendo or MS. so we will just have to wait and see on what all three deliver.

there are things that nintendo and ms impress me with so dont get me wrong. so far im liking the MS XBL program where its free this time around, and im interested on seeing what sony does to compete with this. and out of all 3, nintendo definately has the best console design which means a lot to me aesthetically.
I have more faith in MS and the reason I have more faith in MS is simple. First, they did everything right last gen, far better than Sony did. Every department from graphics to sound to UI to functionality, the XBOX murdered the PS2. That got them to where they are now. Second, MS rarely ever makes a stinker in any field. They make good products. Sony makes tons of so-so products. MS seems to be better focused and have better direction, while Sony doesn't seem to know what they want at this point, except to try to dissuade. Third, MS has some of the best dev tools money can buy, period - both for general programming and for consoles. Fourth, what sounds easier to program to you - a simple tri-core/6 thread processor, or a single core processor with 7 SPEs? The former is far closer to what devs have been used to coding for years and years.

Quote:
I didnt mean keyboard/mouse as the main controllers but just compatible to use, sorta like the keyboard on ps2 or headset on the xbox. ill definately use a wheel or controller over keyboard/mouse on racing games, but when FPS's come in, i definately want the accuracy of a keyboard and mouse.
I know you want it, but like I said it will either make single player games too easy for mouse users or too hard for controller users as the speed, hitboxes, etc for enemies need to be different for each type of controller.

In addition, it will destroy online play for controller users, as they will be forced into using a m/k to compete with other players. It's a bad idea for consoles because part of their beauty is that they _don't_ need an m/k. If you want m/k, stick to PC.

I wouldn't mind an M/K if it were restricted to web surfing/email on a console, but for gaming definitely not a good idea.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Old 05-26-05, 12:38 AM   #29
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
rofl, I guess you haven't been gaming long. Developers said that the PS2 was EXTREMELY EASY to code for at E3 when it was unveiled. They stated that the demos they were running took "5 days" to make since the PS2 was so easy! You are so freaking naive man. Telling me to STFU? Are you getting "tough" on the INtArweb? LOL, whatever "Bad" Boy. pfft.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615178p1.html
I guess Mark Reign hasnt been gaming long either.

maybe you took that picture too hard, what i really ment to say is to just shut the **** up, your annoying. theres gotta be some kind of ignore feature on vB.

Quote:
I have more faith in MS
its personal preference really, so i cant knock you for that.
Quote:
MS seems to be better focused and have better direction, while Sony doesn't seem to know what they want at this point, except to try to dissuade.
thats funny, its the opposite of what everybody thought after both conferences were over. did you watch the g4 crap on tv after they had it? pretty funny stuff.

Quote:
I know you want it, but like I said it will either make single player games too easy for mouse users or too hard for controller users as the speed, hitboxes, etc for enemies need to be different for each type of controller.

In addition, it will destroy online play for controller users, as they will be forced into using a m/k to compete with other players. It's a bad idea for consoles because part of their beauty is that they _don't_ need an m/k. If you want m/k, stick to PC.

I wouldn't mind an M/K if it were restricted to web surfing/email on a console, but for gaming definitely not a good idea.
I highly doubt this, the SmartJOY for the xbox and ps2 have been out for a long time. (if you dont know, they allow mouse and keyboard on xbox + ps2), and they havent destroyed anything yet.
Old 05-26-05, 12:42 AM   #30
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Quote:
theres gotta be some kind of ignore feature on vB.
Slightly Off-topic, but yes, there is. Go to the person you want to ignore's profile, and click "Add to my ignore list." So.. yes. You can choose to ignore people.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 12:43 AM   #31
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
Slightly Off-topic, but yes, there is. Go to the person you want to ignore's profile, and click "Add to my ignore list." So.. yes. You can choose to ignore people.
thank god!
Old 05-26-05, 12:44 AM   #32
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
He's kinda slow...

Old 05-26-05, 12:46 AM   #33
evilchris

Quote:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615178p1.html
I guess Mark Reign hasnt been gaming long either.
Here's a quote from Mark in that article:

Quote:
In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time
Wow, a direct lie. I stopped reading there. NVIDIA has stated the RSX isn't even taped out yet, and none exist. So I wonder how those were running in real time ON THE PS3? You're gullible.
Old 05-26-05, 12:47 AM   #34
Ruined

Quote:
thats funny, its the opposite of what everybody thought after both conferences were over. did you watch the g4 crap on tv after they had it? pretty funny stuff.
Except Sony is now backtracking with their recent "we're not making a game console" and "we have online service, really!" comments. I think they fear the media & online beast that X360 is going to be and are afraid they didn't sell their console well enough in that area at E3. I think they now realize that MS is going for Average Joe's living room and they want to be there too, but their E3 presentation did not reflect that. X360 is even going to have card games like solitaire (and other simple games) you can play with an included remote control in case the controller is too intimidating. X360 will come equipped out of the box to do something like Party Poker for free on the weekends, except on your couch with a remote watching your TV. If that doesn't get more average users, I'm not sure what will.

Quote:
I highly doubt this, the SmartJOY for the xbox and ps2 have been out for a long time. (if you dont know, they allow mouse and keyboard on xbox + ps2), and they havent destroyed anything yet.
That just emulates a M/K by translating the input to controller movements (which have a finite range unlike a mouse). Far less accurate and intuitive than a real M/K and not much of an advantage over a controller. Quake3 for Dreamcast supported both a controller and true m/k input, and if you used a controller you were at a huge, huge, huge disadvantage. As in you couldn't win.

Last edited by Ruined; 05-26-05 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 12:51 AM   #35
evilchris

I can't wait to call PS3 tech support and say " I think there is a phenomenon inside my compUtar maChine!!! " Then they'll say " Yes sir, but this is normal, carry on. "
Old 05-26-05, 12:56 AM   #36
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
That just emulates a M/K by translating the input to controller movements (which have a finite range unlike a mouse). Far less accurate and intuitive than a real M/K and not much of an advantage over a controller.
umm, my friend has one and i love it over the ps2 controller in fps games. works great in killzone and socom, though its not pressure sensitive like the controller, works great