Old 05-30-05, 07:30 PM   #73
Ruined

Default Re: Midway to support PS3 at launch, but not Xbox 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Compare-C-15015-1-4-4
ps3: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
360: 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i
Those are not dev standards, just supported output resolutions.

Every XBOX360 game must support 720p minimum (with 480i/p downconversion available). There is no word if there will be a minimum PS3 resolution. Odds are the primary reason 1080p is being supported on PS3 is because 1080p is the native resolution of Blu-Ray movies.

Gaming at 1080p won't happen for three reasons:
A) Sets that do 1080p currently only have a 30hz refresh rate at that res, which is good for movies but not good for gaming.
B) Most HD sets don't even support 1080p at all
C) 1080p rendering takes up tons more bandwidth and power than 720p/1080i.

Therefore, a PS3 dev who chose to develop 1080p instead of 720p for gaming would look worse visually, have a much slower framerate than 720p, and would not even by used by 99% of HDTV users, and 99.99999999% of PS3 owners.

Therefore, 1080p is much more a marketing checkbox for gaming than something that can actually be used, though it may be useful for a very small percentage in watching blu-ray movies.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Last edited by Ruined; 05-30-05 at 11:55 PM.
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 07:44 PM   #74
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Compare-C-15015-1-4-4
ps3: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
360: 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i
http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?...s=read&id=3656

Just because one website says it, and another doesn't, doesn't make it true. The web can say anything

K
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 08:30 PM   #75
|MaguS|

gamespot is probably one of the most accurate websites on the net, far better then IGN or even CNN...
Old 05-30-05, 08:39 PM   #76
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
Those are not dev standards, just supported output resolutions.
I am just showing what each system supports, im not talking about standards. but if you want to talk standards...

Quote:
- We have just been updated by our away team at the SCEA conference that not only will 1080p be supported by the system, but that this is considered the standard resolution for the system. Every game for the system will be in incredible, indelible, indubitable HD.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614661p1.html
millions who buy the ps3 might not have 1080p on their tv, or even a hdtv, but that doesnt mean it cant be supported.
Old 05-30-05, 08:49 PM   #77
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

To those frothing at the mouth over the 1080i/p argument might I suggest you drop your "the 360 really supports 1080p" angle since it doesn't. Instead we've reached the point where your best strategy is to downplay it [doesn't effect me in any way personally since all my current and future consoles will be hooked up to my Dell 2001FP]. If you need guidence for this course of action then you should head over to rage3d and ask them to give you some pointers. The 2.0b vs 3.0 battle has made then well experienced in that aspect.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 08:50 PM   #78
|MaguS|

1080p the standard resolution? Nice, Better hold off on my next TV setup till next year, lol.
Old 05-30-05, 08:54 PM   #79
Bad_Boy
god of war.

I dont have a tv that supports 1080p just yet, so i honestly dont care, but i was just stating a fact.

I could see if you dont care either, but like Vagrant Zero said- you cant sit there and downplay 1080p like its worse than some other resolution just because many people dont have it. Thats almost like downplaying SLI systems.

The 360 is probaly capable of outputting 1080p, that is not the point. Whether or not IT WILL output at that resolution is the question.
Old 05-30-05, 08:59 PM   #80
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
To those frothing at the mouth over the 1080i/p argument might I suggest you drop your "the 360 really supports 1080p" angle since it doesn't. Instead we've reached the point where your best strategy is to downplay it [doesn't effect me in any way personally since all my current and future consoles will be hooked up to my Dell 2001FP]. If you need guidence for this course of action then you should head over to rage3d and ask them to give you some pointers. The 2.0b vs 3.0 battle has made then well experienced in that aspect.
What proof do you have to back that up besides one link?

The game is what decides what resolution the console will be running at. Since the X360 supports 1080p, it's up to the game to decide if it's worth it. With 4XAA always on, will the p really provide a benifit over the i? Or will it just slow it down while looking the same?

K

Old 05-30-05, 09:30 PM   #81
|MaguS|

Um what? The hardware must support the display resolution for it to run that, also the media format that the system supports dictates what resolution it can support, DVD9 cannot even support DVD Movies at 1080p... why think that it will be able to support games that require alot more data? This is the reason Sony moved to blu-ray, they needed the data capacity to hold the movies, you can bet your ass that it will also be used to hold alot high textures for 1080p output.

Oh, Just read something interesting... just to throw more fuel into the fire. Everyone know's PS3 supports dual display but not many know that it can support dual 1080p displays. Yup, imagine playing a game on a dual display at 34:1 1080p... thats Fing nuts!
Old 05-30-05, 09:37 PM   #82
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev13dd
Quote:
Next, the graphics.
High-Definition, High-Definition, High-Definition. It's all about HD. Both companies are "totally stoked" about the HDTV revolution expected to take the US by storm (propelled by the media, of course), which should saturate the market with screens twice as detailed as current widescreen products. Of course, because both Sony and Microsoft purport to be releasing media centres, this means there'll be plenty of HD for non-gaming applications. For interactive software, however, the PS3's announcement suggests that the graphics in the machine are twice the current market leader on PCs.

PS3 will be able to output a higher-resolution (i.e., more high definition) signal, but there are very few TVs in existence that can use this highest resolution. In a few years though, who knows? Games will also have to be made in widescreen compatible. In the meantime, I'm pleased that both companies will still support my old televisual clunker.

Sony's machine is unique in that it offers two HD outputs, for the ultimate in multitasking. Game on one, FAQ via the Ethernet connection on the other. They don't want us to move ever again, do they? Can I have fries with that?
i wonder what resolution they are talking about.
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar...they_mean.html
Old 05-30-05, 09:47 PM   #83
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev13dd

The game is what decides what resolution the console will be running at. Since the X360 supports 1080p, it's up to the game to decide if it's worth it. With 4XAA always on, will the p really provide a benifit over the i? Or will it just slow it down while looking the same?

K

What kind of logic is that? The game decides the feature not the hardware? They'd love you over at rage, hey guys, it doesn't matter if your cards don't support PS3, as long as the game does your set.

More to the point why isn't there a single [out of the gabillions of...] ps2 game that supports 1080p. Because the ps2 doesn't support it that's why.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 10:23 PM   #84
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
What kind of logic is that? The game decides the feature not the hardware? They'd love you over at rage, hey guys, it doesn't matter if your cards don't support PS3, as long as the game does your set.

More to the point why isn't there a single [out of the gabillions of...] ps2 game that supports 1080p. Because the ps2 doesn't support it that's why.
THE X360 SUPPORTS 1080P!!!

THE HARDWARE OF THE X360 SUPPORTS 1080P

In Microsoft's press conference at E3 Peter Moore said "Every Xbox 360 game will be designed for high definition widescreen television and will support 16x9 aspect ratio to expand the storytelling canvas" Why would a game have to be designed for HD TV? Because how the game is programmed determines what resolution it will run at. Just because my Video Card allows me to run at 1600x1200 doesn't mean it constantly does. I get better performance lower- so I run games lower. The high setting is there, just because I don't use it doesn't mean I can't. And ATI has SPECIFICALLY SAID that the X360 can run 1080p. That maker of the ******* graphics card said so, I think that's about as legit as you can get that the box can go to 1080p

Peter Moore also said " So to create experiences that transform reality, well, that's really a lot to ask of any medium. To ensure that the next generation delivers, every game is built on what we call Essentials, a foundation of requirements every game must have before it can ship on the Xbox 360 platform. These essentials include a minimum of 720p high definition resolution to provide gamers with jaw-dropping visual clarity and fidelity. Many developers are already working on games in 1080i"

Once again, notice how he said that the games have to be built that way. Notice how he said games are being designed past the minimum. It is up to the game what resolution it will run. And since the ATI card INSIDE of it supports 1080p, and you are aloud ot go PAST the minimum, a game designer could hypothetically design a game in 1080p for the X360

K