Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-02, 09:24 AM   #1
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza
Default RedHat 8 Linux - Nvidia 4191 install *help*

I have downloaded both source files for GLX and Kernal of the 4191 drivers for IA32 Linux. I am running RedHat 8.0 with the latest Kernal installed (just updated) athlon arch (or i686) I am not quite sure what arch, i would need help rinding that out.
But i need to know what to do in order to install the nvidia drivers on my system. I need to know how to set the runlevels and what to type to install the driver and in what order, specific please.
Any help would be appriciated.
/Dan
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 11:25 AM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

To figure out what files you need, grab NVchooser.sh from STEP 3 of the driver download page. For detailed installation instructions, please see the README, also available from the driver download page.

--andy
Old 12-13-02, 11:51 AM   #3
lmetza

thanks.
Old 12-13-02, 12:02 PM   #4
azazello

Send a message via ICQ to azazello

try to use GLX/kernel tar.gz files - just extract it and type make - will work with any supported kernel.

additionally, you can choose support for SBA/FW in os-registry.c(this settings switched off by default - but be shure, that your MB/Video support it)
azazello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 03:08 PM   #5
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by azazello
additionally, you can choose support for SBA/FW in os-registry.c(this settings switched off by default - but be shure, that your MB/Video support it)
If you use a precompiled nvidia.o, you can add options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1 in your modules.conf file to enable them, too. Even if you use .tar.gz drivers, this will also work without editing os-registry.c.

Not that you can't necessarily edit os-registry.c, but it's not needed.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 03:11 PM   #6
lmetza

just one thing, Am i able to do this in Terminal window or do i need to go to console (leave X) and change my runlevel. If so, How?
I am still kinda new at linux.
Old 12-13-02, 04:06 PM   #7
Chalnoth

I think it's generally a good idea to do all driver installation in single-user mode, though it generally seems to work okay even when doing it with everything running. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Anyway, while there may be other ways to do it, here's what I would suggest:

1. Download the drivers to some directory (Yeah, hard, I know...and completely non-obvious...). I would suggest downloading the source rpm's for Redhat.

2. Start up the system in single-user mode. One way to do this is edit the /etc/inittab file (you'll need to go super-user to do this...just type "su" and enter the root password). The file should describe pretty well how to change the runlevel, but set it to "1" for single-user mode.

3. Reboot the system. The system should just go straight to a command prompt once it's done, and very few things should be loaded. Install the drivers with the following commands:

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-stuff.src.rpm --target=athlon (assuming you have an Athlon)
rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-stuff.src.rpm --target=athlon

Then go to the directory that these files were written to. On redhat, I believe it will be /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/athlon

For each file, type:
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-stuff.athlon.rpm
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-stuff.athlon.rpm

...where "stuff" is just the version number and whatever else. As a side note, somewhat similar to Quake3's console commands, you can fill out filenames by pressing tab at the command line.

Once the RPM's have installed, edit the XF86Config-4 file as nVidia's readme states. The readme is actually included with the drivers, but it's not terribly easy to find (easiest way is to just extract the source RPM's with "rpm -ivh <filename>". I forget exactly where they're extracted to, but I think it's something like /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES). It's easier to just get it from the website beforehand. Anyway, there's a section in the readme about editing the config file. Just go to it, and follow the instructions.

Once you're all done, set the default runlevel to either 3 or 5. Setting it to 3 is safer, as it's the text login, but setting it to 5 can be more convenient.

One last thing. For setting the runlevel while linux is still running, just type, "telinit #" where # is the runlevel. If you're not in single-user mode or logged in as root, you'll need to give the path: "/sbin/telinit #"
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 06:09 PM   #8
lmetza

K, just 1 thing, when i am looged in as root and i want to type telinit # , what keys do i hit to get to console (Ctrl + Shift +P or something)
When im there what runlevel do i set it to to install the nvidia drivers?

Old 12-13-02, 06:19 PM   #9
lmetza

oh, nm. I found it. thanks man. ill go try that right now and see if it works.
Old 12-13-02, 07:18 PM   #10
Andy Mecham
l33t master

'telinit 3' should be sufficient for almost everybody. You don't need to reboot to single user mode.

--andy
Old 12-13-02, 07:45 PM   #11
lmetza

well going to console didn work well for my, so i did it all in gnome useing terminal and i ent into the etc/X11/XF86Config and opened it with gedit and set the lines and restarted (i used kernals from nvidia) not source or tarball, i used the Kernal-Athlon and GLX-i386.
My linux kernal is currently 2.4.18-18.8.0
But the driver did work and no errors, i get a nive nvidia splash screen before it goes into gnome which must mean it worked. But how to i enadle acceleration on the card (under start/system settings/display it is still greyed out).
And how do i install the UT2003 demo? because it is in some form of .bin.
Thanks for yer help guys, i appriciate it.
Old 12-13-02, 09:15 PM   #12
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by lmetza
But how to i enadle acceleration on the card (under start/system settings/display it is still greyed out).
Umm, there have been MULTIPLE posts about this problem. It's the fault of the dumb GUI app that you're looking at -- it doesn't understand how the nVidia drivers work, so it won't let you enable 3D (because it doesn't know what to do to do that). 3D is enabled as long as you have followed the instructions. Regardless of what any GUI app says!

If you really want to check, do a glxinfo | grep -i direct, and when you see "direct rendering: yes", you will know that 3D is enabled.

Quote:
And how do i install the UT2003 demo? because it is in some form of .bin.
The same way as any other .bin file -- chmod +x <file>.bin, and then ./<file>.bin
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote