Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-14-05, 11:37 PM   #1
AnotherOne

Default Replacing Asus BIOS on v9980

Is it safe to replace the crappy Asus BIOS with something from another manufacturer? I can't find any guides on modifiying this paticular BIOS, and rying to overclock with ANY OC utilities fails. Applying any clockspeed settings auses it to throttle out, and perform worse than my old TNT2.

I'm one who MUST OC.

Last edited by AnotherOne; 07-20-05 at 12:07 PM.
AnotherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 12:08 AM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Replacing Asus BIOS on v9980

Is that a V9980Ultra, or just the V9980? If the Ultra (GeForceFX 5950Ultra GPU), then I find that the card runs best with ForceWare versions 56.72. Try that driver. Then, make sure SmartDoctor is UNINSTALLED. THEN install Coolbits, RiverTuner, etc and try your oc'ing then.

Quick note:

Make CERTAIN that you have proper COOLING and VENTILATION in your computer. If your computer lacks in cooling, ventilation, or both, you greatly risk damaging your hardware by overclocking it.

I recommend atleast a fan in front of the case as intake, and a second fan in the rear of the case for exhuast. Adding a blower just below your vcard to help eliminate the hot air generated by the card and exhuast it out the back helps keep temps down as well. If you get a blower, make sure that there is atleast one PCI slot in between the blower and the vcard.

Good luck!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 10:54 AM   #3
AnotherOne

Default Re: Replacing Asus BIOS on v9980 [solved]

I succesfully flashed with a BFG 5950u Rev2 BIOS from mvktech.net. ALL of those little problems are gone! Except, this BIOS clocks the core from 475 to 510 in 3D mode wich causes pausing in UT2004. I definately need some better cooling for this card before I can OC it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Ok, the 56.72's allowed me to OC, were good performance-wise, but plauged with other problems. Using CoolBits or any OC utility with any post 60xx driver causes this card to throttle out badly after opening the display properties. I have tried several modified driver packages from Guru3D, and NONE of them function properly with this card . I'v read somewhere that flashing with a Leadtek BIOS will get rid of these sort of problems, but I have no clue how to do that.

Ok, I will try those drivers. As far as cooling goes, I got a 120mm in the front, two 80mm's in the back with a blower under the card, but the card itself still has stock cooling (wich I hear isn't so great).

Last edited by AnotherOne; 07-20-05 at 12:08 PM.
AnotherOne is offline   Reply With Quote