Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-02, 04:24 PM   #1
ThaNative

Default Pleasee Help Me! X won't load!

Ok, I must admit, I'm a Linux virgin. I just installed the OS about 3 days ago and must admit it's a kewl OS. BUT i've recently installed the newest Nvidia drivers posted here (for Mandrake 9.0, which I have). I've followed the guide for editing my XF86config file, and now my graphical interface won't load! I've got a GeForce 2 GTS...can someone please tell me what I might have done wrong?? i'm no stranger to console commands, but preffer the GUI, also, I don't know DIDDLY about the Linux commands. any help would be appreciated. email me or post it here....

thanks in advance.
ThaNative

Last edited by ThaNative; 12-13-02 at 04:32 PM.
ThaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 05:48 PM   #2
bwkaz

When your X doesn't load, are you starting it yourself (with startx)? Or do you have your distro set up to boot directly to a GUI login screen? Actually, never mind, I don't think it matters. Just get to a command prompt, copy the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file to somewhere else (like your home directory) with cp /var/log/XFree86.0.log ~ or whatever, and then undo the changes you made to your XF86Config(-4) file, if you can. If not, just copy the backup that you made (you did... right? ) back over to the real config file.

If you don't have a backup, then you may be able to run something like xf86config, or XFree86 -configure, or something. Possibly even XFdrake? Maybe. Anyway, these programs will rewrite your config file so that you can use it. Once that's done, you can get into a GUI at least, to post that copy of the log file here. Attach it to your post.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 07:04 PM   #3
ThaNative

Default ok i'll try

no, i've got the boot manager that came with the OS to boot for me. but i'll give your suggestion a try, and see what happens...but after i've re-booted into the GUI mode (if all goes well) what do I have to do to get the Nvidia drivers to work for me?? is there a way you can post a working config file for Mandrake 9.0 and GeForce 2 GTS for me to try???
Old 12-13-02, 09:19 PM   #4
bwkaz

Well, I don't know what the problem is without seeing the log file. If I did, I could tell you what to put in your config file (or what to change on your system), but I don't. That's why I need the log file.

I could post a working config file (mine), but the problem may not be there. It really depends on what the real error message is.

Old 12-13-02, 10:24 PM   #5
HunterA3

If you are dual booting into windows also, try copying your XF86Config-4 file or the XF86Config.log file, as suggested, to your windows partition and boot into windows. Then you can open it in notepad (if you're not familiar with the linux text editors like vi or emac) and you can post the results as well as make changes to it if needed. Then once all the correct changes have been made, you can reboot back into Linux failsafe mode and recopy the updated files from your windows partion back to the Linux partion and replace the files with the incorrect info.

OR if your distro has pico, you can use it just like a DOS text editor within Linux and save yourself alot of rebooting.
HunterA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-02, 11:05 PM   #6
bwkaz

I would be VERY careful using Windows editors on Unix-style text files. Many of them (Notepad included) do not understand Unix end-of-line conventions, and may bork your config files.

I do not know which Windows editors work offhand, as I have had more luck learning Linux text-mode editors.

If you can boot Windows, then that would be a way to get your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file attached here. But I would be careful using its editors to change your Linux config files...

EDIT: If your distro has nano, then that would be a direct, drop-in replacement for pico that you might want to try.

Last edited by bwkaz; 12-13-02 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-13-02, 11:35 PM   #7
ThaNative

Hey thanks for all your support, and i've tried EVERYTHING once more, from re-installing kernel AND GLX then re editing my config file...but nothing seems to work. i've included here my updated XF86Config file as an attachment (changed it to .txt file in wondows because this bulletin told me the orig was invalid), maybe someone can have a look at it and lemme know what to change?? thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (18.3 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-14-02, 02:36 AM   #8

I posted this in another thread, and I use Red Hat, but even with Mandrake this should work. The first part is the way you should install the driver kernel and glx kernel. Only use the Tar.gz method. The senond part of this post is how to edit your Xconfig file from text mode (If your X serve doesn't start) .....this seems to be your problem right now.

Here is from someone much better with Linux then I am, his post helped me install without a problem, here is what he said:
----------------------------------------------

It's just a few very simple steps to build from source, just download the latest .tar.gz from nvidia's site.

tar -zxvf NVIDIA-kernel(whatever version).tar.gz
tar -zxvf NVIDIA-GLX(whatever version).tar.gz

then log on to terminal as root and do the following

cd NVIDIA-kernel(version)
make
make install

cd ..
cd NVIDIA-GLX(version)
make
make install

then change the following lines in the /etc/X11/XF86Config(or XF86Config-4 I can't remember off the top of my head which one RedHat uses).....

change the video driver from "nv" to "nvidia"
-----------------------------------------------------

Now if you mess up and need to edit your xconfig file but can't get xserve, follow this to a tee and you'll be fine:
-----------------------------------------

In the command prompt as root type:
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config
you should see a screen full of text
The lines you want to look for are as follows:

scroll down to the section labeled "Module" press either the insert key or i and now the bottom of your screen should say --INSERT-- add a line that reads, if there isn't one:
Load "glx"
and then comment out:
#Load "dri"

under section "Device" change
Driver "nv"
to read as
Driver "nvidia"

Lastly at the very end of the file comment out the section
#Section "DRI"
# Mode 0666
#End Section

Then hit Esc to get out of --INSERT-- mode.

Type without the quotes ":wq" then hit enter.

Now you should be able to type: startx
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-02, 07:38 AM   #9
bwkaz

ThaNative -- I don't think anything is wrong with that config file, but I really need to see the log file, /var/log/XFree86.0.log, to know for sure what the problem is. Without that (or the error message you're seeing, but preferably the log file), we're all just shooting in the dark here.

Which might be worth it, but could very well be just wasting time...
Old 12-14-02, 09:04 AM   #10
ThaNative

OK, first off i'd like to thank everyone for trying their best to help me, but i must admit, i'm a bleedin' IDIOT!! i've been editing the WRONG config file!! i've been updating the one in /usr/blah blah/XF86Config-4 and NOT the one in /etc/X11/XF786Config-4!!!!

Everything is now working fin and the 3D acceleratin is GREAT!!

Please accept my apologies, as I mentioned I am a newbie at Linux. I hate to waist all yout time. but again thanks for all the help it was pointing me in the right direction.

Truly,
ThaNative
Old 12-14-02, 11:31 AM   #11
bwkaz

OK, I guess that works...

Glad you fixed it, in any case!