Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-05, 10:28 AM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Lightbulb Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6126725.html

Quote:
AS: What do you think of the competitors' machines? Will Sony continue to dominate the gaming market?
Ken Kutaragi: Microsoft is trailing behind us, but they are not a threat. They are good at improving [on products], but we will be advancing to the next level with revolutionary technology. Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan (Karate master), and Microsoft is still not a black belt. Just like with their operating systems, they might come out with something good around the third generation of their release.

It isn't a bad thing to have a high price. When we released the original PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($368), Nintendo's Super Famicom was in the 10,000 yen range ($100 range). Still, everyone went for the PlayStation. This time, ours [the PS3] will be like a BMW that's equipped with a Ferrari engine. Nintendo's [Revolution] will be something like a new model of a family car. Some people might want it, but if it was me, I'd want to advance to the next level.
Old 06-01-05, 10:37 AM   #2
rek075

Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

That's funny considering Nintendo's (non-portable) consoles have always been technically superior to Sony's.
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 10:42 AM   #3
dynasty336

Quote:
Originally Posted by rek075
That's funny considering Nintendo's (non-portable) consoles have always been technically superior to Sony's.
dynasty336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 10:45 AM   #4
|MaguS|

always? Um The N64 was a horrible mess, Cartidge format is CRAP and the system while more bits hard horrible texture filtering (always grainy and blurry), While the PSX didn't have any it was able to produce some of the best looking games of its time (Chrono Cross , FFIX and Air Combat 3 top them all). Play RE2 on the PSX and then on the N64, sure the characters have better filtering but the FMV and backgrounds look like ass.
Old 06-01-05, 10:46 AM   #5
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty336
He's completely right. The Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube are both technically superior (and notably so) to the Playstation and Playstation 2.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 11:38 AM   #6
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
always? Um The N64 was a horrible mess, Cartidge format is CRAP and the system while more bits hard horrible texture filtering (always grainy and blurry), While the PSX didn't have any it was able to produce some of the best looking games of its time (Chrono Cross , FFIX and Air Combat 3 top them all). Play RE2 on the PSX and then on the N64, sure the characters have better filtering but the FMV and backgrounds look like ass.
The N64 smoked the PSX in terms of 3D rendering. The PSX's advantage was in better music/FMVs with more storage space. But besides that, the N64 was more technically advanced than the PSX and it was obvious by gameplay graphics. The Gamecube also smoked the PS2 technically, again except in the case of storage space. So yeh Nintendo's home consoles have been more advanced than Sony's in the past.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 11:55 AM   #7
rek075

So anyway, back on topic. I think Ken's comments are completely unfounded since the Revolution hasn't been fully revealed. Even with specs, you can compare performance - we know this to be especially true considering this last generation of consoles.
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 12:43 PM   #8
oldsk00l

N64 being technically superior is a farce.

The PSX pwn3d the N64 in geometry output. You had FAR better geometric detail than N64 could dream of putting out. The N64 was very good at filtering relatively, and the extra 3D features (hw fog, fillrate mainly, texturing) but the cartridge took everything good about N64 and made it suck...badly.

Now with Revolution, mainly Nintendo couldn't afford the massive R&D that Sony/MS have expanded to and it's all they could put out.

Old 06-01-05, 01:16 PM   #9
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
but the cartridge took everything good about N64 and made it suck...badly.
That's entirely subjective. There were advantages to the cartridge format at the time.

Nintendo takes a beating all the time because of advertisers winning over the minds of us consumer w.hores. That Gamer's Manifesto thing actually had some very good points to make regarding that issue. I've never been interested in a device performing more functions than I want it to, and I'm not going to be (hence why I ditched the PSP and will most likely return to the DS).
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
The PSX pwn3d the N64 in geometry output. You had FAR better geometric detail than N64 could dream of putting out.
Is that why most PSX games had static backgrounds? I remember N64 games having a lot more geometry going on at once...especially in games like Conker's Bad Fur Day or Zelda: OOT. If anything they were on par. Of course, these are mere offhand observations, not based on any technical data.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 06-01-05, 01:53 PM   #10
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

What I don't understand is how can that Sony rep say that Microsoft is not a threat? Sony was in the same position Microsoft is in now just a few years ago. Back in the 90s Nintendo was the King when it came to video gaming... they could do no wrong... then Sony came alone and snatched that title away from them. Sony better open their eyes and stop acting like they are untouchable!
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 02:02 PM   #11
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
What I don't understand is how can that Sony rep say that Microsoft is not a threat? Sony was in the same position Microsoft is in now just a few years ago. Back in the 90s Nintendo was the King when it came to video gaming... they could do no wrong... then Sony came alone and snatched that title away from them. Sony better open their eyes and stop acting like they are untouchable!
Tru 'dat.

I still think a video game crash is coming (and if it does, not soon enough).
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 06-01-05, 02:23 PM   #12
evilchris

The Xbox console is superior to the PS2 console in every single way. If he doesn't realize this then whatever. Which system has better games is all a matter of opinion, but it's a fact Xbox is a better console than PS2 with more capabilities. Sony was the one trailing in technology with the add-on HDD, the add-on Ethernet interface which came years later, etc. In addition, what did PS2 bring to the table? Nothing but improved graphics. Xbox brought an integrated HDD, Ethernet port, and the 1st full scale online service.

He must think we've all forgotten about the Emotion Engine, and how it was going to simulate real human emotion. That's why he's now talking about "producing phenomena inside the computer" and "aging" SD content into full fledged HD content. This guy is a tool. Whatever makes him his living though...