Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-05, 02:32 PM   #13
NAZCA M12
Master Thief
 
NAZCA M12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The City
Posts: 448
Thumbs down Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Yeah, which one did you say is the oldest of the two? And shame it wasn't superior in sales But i'm sure uncle Bill doesn't care about that
__________________
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 02:48 PM   #14
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun
 
Nutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,835
Send a message via MSN to Nutty
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
The PSX pwn3d the N64 in geometry output. You had FAR better geometric detail than N64 could dream of putting out. The N64 was very good at filtering relatively, and the extra 3D features (hw fog, fillrate mainly, texturing) but the cartridge took everything good about N64 and made it suck...badly.
I definitely disagree with you here. PSX technically couldn't even do 3d. All 3d on PSX was a hack by developers doing all the transform manually. Thats why the textures shimmied all over the place because there was no texture perspective correction. The N64 on the other hand had a full 3d chip made by SGI with hardware transform, and proper 3d texturing capabilities. N64 was _vastly_ superior in the 3d department to PSX.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 03:13 PM   #15
oldsk00l
 
oldsk00l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
I definitely disagree with you here. PSX technically couldn't even do 3d. All 3d on PSX was a hack by developers doing all the transform manually. Thats why the textures shimmied all over the place because there was no texture perspective correction. The N64 on the other hand had a full 3d chip made by SGI with hardware transform, and proper 3d texturing capabilities. N64 was _vastly_ superior in the 3d department to PSX.
PSX = 390k triangles per second.

N64, 150k per second.

It's debateable as to what looks better too, ala Spyro vs Mario64, Tekken 3vs..well..any N64 game...
__________________
The Adama maneuver was incredible, go watch Exodus pt 2.
oldsk00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 07:24 PM   #16
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,750
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

If the n64 was superior technically it never showed it. I remember picking up OOT and liking MGSs graphics more.

As for MS being a threat, maybe in the US/Europe, but the 360 can't perform like it's predesceor in Japan if it wants to be taken as a ps3 killer.
__________________
o <---- Dev
|\_o <---- Paladin
// \
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 08:37 PM   #17
oldsk00l
 
oldsk00l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

I think technically it's a wash, and it took a hell of a game to shine on N64...after the 4mb upgrade.

Cartridges have NO benefit over discs overall, yeah loading sucked but it was well worth it.
__________________
The Adama maneuver was incredible, go watch Exodus pt 2.
oldsk00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 09:22 PM   #18
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

You know whats funny in all of this, is that neither sony nor microsoft are trying to compete with nintendo. It's been this way for years. Nintendo is that far behind.

BTW, I have to agree with the cartridge comments here. The N64 just plain sucked, and nintendo was pretty nuts for not going with CDs. They let their ego get the better of them here, namely because they officially and publicly bashed the idea of optical storage ever being the de-facto standard for video games. I still remember the nintendo power article where they said CDs would never make it for consoles.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 10:08 PM   #19
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
I still remember the nintendo power article where they said CDs would never make it for consoles.
If you think about it, they still must feel that way. The GC doesn't use a standard CD or DVD, but rather the mini DVD format.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-05, 11:47 PM   #20
Edge
3d animator for hire!
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
PSX = 390k triangles per second.

N64, 150k per second.
That's an extremely flawed arguement. In fact by that logic:

PS2: 66 million triangles per second

Xbox: 35 million triangles per second (yes, this is the theoretical MAX limitation, it would be impossible to do more because of the arcitecture)

Number of polygons mean nothing. There is simply no debate: the N64 was graphically more powerful than the PS1. It had far more features (texture filtering, perspective correction, anti-aliasing) and was faster under REAL-WORLD situations (the polygons per second number on the PS1 "fact" sheet is untextured and unlit...when's the last time you saw a polygon in a game that didn't have textures or lighting applied to it?). As far as what games looked best, I don't think anything on the PS1 or Saturn can come close to Conker's Bad Fur Day. That game used more effects and had better backgrounds and character models than anyone would've thought possible on a previous generation machine. And surprisingly, it didn't even use the RAM expansion pack. But obviously, the N64's limitation wasn't due to graphics technology, but storage space. But I don't think that's something that makes one console more "powerful" than the other, unless you're going by the graphic quality of FMVs and pre-rendered backgrounds.

In any case though, Sony is extremely good at making it seem like they're far ahead of the competition when in fact they're behind in many ways. Until the PS3, their only advantage has been sales and support. Their hardware wasn't superior, they didn't have as many original features, and their in-house games were rarely very spectacular. I mean really, when the PS2 was released, there wasn't a single game that really looked better than what was availible on the Dreamcast (or played better, for that matter), yet all the media was praising the console for how good it looked. It wasn't until a year or so later that the graphics really started getting better, and by then the Xbox and Gamecube were released. Most of the time, everything you hear before a console's release is just marketing hype...in the end it doesn't matter what's said about a console, only what the final result is. And that's what I'll wait for before I make any major purchases.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-05, 01:31 AM   #21
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Besides the techy mumbo jumbo () I'd have to say that the PS1 and N64 were equal in my eyes. Goldeneye ruled my N64 and games like Tekken and FFVII were constantly in my PS1.

As far as which next gen console is going to be better than the other, we won't know until we get them in our hands. Can't wait to get my XBOX 360! I traded in my PS2 last week for an XBOX and I couldn't believe the difference (improvement). I've been playing a ton of XBOX within the past week and am loving it. Maybe one of the next gen consoles can have this same effect but wait . . . I'm probably going to buy them both anyways haha!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 01:52 AM   #22
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,873
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
If you think about it, they still must feel that way. The GC doesn't use a standard CD or DVD, but rather the mini DVD format.
Same technology; what they were getting at was the speed issue, so and theres virtually no difference at all. They said ROM storage would be the console storage format forever basically. Their analogy was comparing the space shuttle to a snail. They said that if anybody ever tells you that CDs were the future, you can tell them that the future doesn't belong to snails. It was a pretty long propaganda article.

Nintendo is just very short sighted in the video game business...they always have been really when you think about it, they were just able to get away with it back in the day. All it took was for the big players to step in, and they stole the scene with little difficulty. The only thing that is holding them afloat at all is their franchises that they established in the late 80's and early 90's, which some people for some reason or another simply can't live without.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 01:58 AM   #23
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
If you think about it, they still must feel that way. The GC doesn't use a standard CD or DVD, but rather the mini DVD format.
Tru dat
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 06:53 AM   #24
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Next-Gen Console Bosses On Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
The only thing that is holding them afloat at all is their franchises that they established in the late 80's and early 90's, which some people for some reason or another simply can't live without.
Might be because they're some of the best games that come out, even now. Not that good games from new genres don't come out - I mean, look at God of War (I love that game) - but Nintendo's franchises have withstood the test of time.
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UEFI+Nvidia - NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console... interzoneuk NVIDIA Linux 0 06-26-12 04:51 AM
BUG 302.17 - can not access TTY console legluondunet NVIDIA Linux 9 06-24-12 05:16 PM
Console Killers News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 10:10 PM
Epic Games on next gen console specs Logical Console World 5 05-24-12 04:17 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.