Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-05, 09:43 PM   #25
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Default Re: I should have stayed away from the PSP.

Oldskool, I know how you feel.

The PSP is an excellent platform, but Sony has done nothing with it. The only games coming out are ports of old existing games (usually with half the stuff cut out). The only game I play occasionally is Lumines. I keep Wipeout around, just for the web browser hack.

As a portable movie player is pretty cool, I just wish Sony would unlock the resolution limits and codecs for playing off the memory stick.

Otherwise the software is lacking. Its capable of being a web browser, email client etc, but Sony has announced nothing. Either their aren't going to do it, or they are going to shaft us by making some pack that you have to buy (and probably have to run from a UMD too).

It will be uber cool if we ever see open source grow on it. Those with 1.0 firmware (Jap only) are already running SNES and GBA emulators on it. Most of us are stuck with the 1.5 encrypted firmware, unable to run anything homebrew. People have been looking for some sort of exploit to downgrade to 1.0 or run homebrew code on the 1.5 but so far nothing has come up.

If Sony had only opened the platform, we would have a thousand cool homebrew apps by now. Its SO annoying.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 10:41 PM   #26
oldsk00l

I don't know, it just bothers me that Sony HAS a running perfectly acceptable web browser that they just won't let us have. If you get a PSP in South Korea you get a web browser. It just bothers me.

The other issue is that the graphics in the games really look crap. The PSP is billed as a PS2-capable system, somewhat more powerful actually. Which is quite true, in present conditions the PS2 has a more powerful geometry/lighting engine and the same amount of RAM/bandwidth. The only area it is lacking in comparison to the PS2 is in raw fillrate, which doesn't impact the PSP's relative performance because of the screen.

Given that, it's no wonder Ridge Racers looks so good. However looking at the con fighting game, and then the dead to rights shots, there is no excuse for the games looking this bad. This should be called the "Dreamcast portable".
Old 06-06-05, 12:22 AM   #27
|MaguS|

I think the graphics depend on the game and the skill of the programmers. Remember the system isn't being pushed initially because they need to get an idea of battery life also sony has the system downclocked to 2/3 its speed.

The summer is a dry season for the PSP in software, sad to see but eh after such a huge launch I expected a slow period (not this bad though). Fall looks better though, The lineup kicks ass with some great RPGs on the way.
Old 06-06-05, 01:46 PM   #28
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Saw this today:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59501

Sony is all upset of UK stores importing PSPs from Japan and the US.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 01:59 PM   #29
|MaguS|

Yeah because they can't sell the domestic at an a higher price then. All publishers hate importing, why do you think everything has region codes?

This is nothing knew...
Old 06-06-05, 06:34 PM   #30
vX

Sony is mad cuz now Europe is buying each system @ a fair price, poor sony. hah.
vX is offline   Reply With Quote