Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-05, 03:12 PM   #1
AlmaFuerte

Default GeForce 5200 FX Problem

Hi people!!!, i've a problem with my card (GeForce 5200 FX) and SuSe Linux 9.2. The issue is that when i install the suse with that card the system can't start and the message is:

INIT: Entering Runlevel: 5
INIT: ID "1" Respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ID "2" Respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ID "3" Respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ID "4" Respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ID "5" Respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ID "6" Respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: No more processes left in this runlevel

When i configure the BIOS with the on-board card the system works fine. I don't know what is the problem. I've post in the suse forums and but nobody give me a certain answer. I hope someone in this forum can help me.

(i think that the system "see" the two cards and it wants to run the on-board when the geforce card is the primary, but i'm not sure)
AlmaFuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 04:59 PM   #2
lionguy

Default Re: GeForce 5200 FX Problem

ON Suse linux you should follow the special installation instructions. Read the instructions from here : ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/sup...nstaller-HOWTO
lionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 05:03 PM   #3
lionguy

ON Suse linux you should follow the special installation instructions. Read the instructions from here : ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/sup...nstaller-HOWTO

Also make sure that your Onboard VGA is disabled if you want to use the AGP GPU . IN most cases the Bios will not allow to enable both VGA busses if the addtional AGP GPU is installed into the system.
Old 06-05-05, 08:55 PM   #4
AlmaFuerte

I've download the driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run. I've follow the instructions from the link but i can't load the driver with YOU. I execute
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run and a screen tell me that the drivers are sucefully installed but when i reboot and use the geforce card the same problem appear.
Old 06-05-05, 10:03 PM   #5
AlmaFuerte

this happen when the system diedsinit)

modprobe: FATAL: error inserting hw_random (/lib/modules/2.68-24-default/kernel/drivers/char/hw_random.ko): No such device

and when i do CTRL-ALT-F10:

agpgart: detected an intel 845G chipset
agpgart: maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: No pre-allocated video memory detected
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @0xd0000000

I don't know why the system detects the on-board card (intel) if the Geforce card is the primary card in the BIOS.
I can log into the system switching to the on-board card. Is any way to unload or take out the module of the intel card from the system (kernel). (Tell the system that not detect the intel card)
Old 06-06-05, 01:24 AM   #6
Linuxhippy

it detects the APG-bridge, not the grafic-card so its fine ;-)

I would look into the files in /var/log/xorg....

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 04:31 PM   #7
lionguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaFuerte
I can log into the system switching to the on-board card. Is any way to unload or take out the module of the intel card from the system (kernel). (Tell the system that not detect the intel card)
Kernel will not detect your Onboard GPU if Onboard GPU is not enabled in the Bios. Example Fedora Core 2 Linux core Boot-UP will make a hardware detection at every boot-up and if there were made any changes in the last hardware installation then this will be detected and you will be prompted to accept or decline the changes (remove or not the hardware from the system). The Hardware manager in FC2 is a program called kudzu. Kudzu is useable in X11 session too but then You can not make any changes but only detect the hardware and read information about it.

How works Suse Linux boot up and how Suse detects the hardware, I dont know
Old 06-06-05, 06:47 PM   #8
AlmaFuerte

In fact, anyone knows what is the problem here??
If the on-board card is enabled in the bios, the system boots up without a problem and i could log. If the on-card is disabled in the bios and the pci card (geforce fx 5200) is enabled the system can't boot up and appears the original problem:

modprobe: FATAL: error inserting hw_random (/lib/modules/2.68-24-default/kernel/drivers/char/hw_random.ko): No such device

and the system died.
If it helps i can post some logs. I've take a look to /var/log/xorg... but i don't understand too much.

Old 06-07-05, 12:26 PM   #9
energyman76b

Hi,

well, if oyu do not understand it, post it. It is the only source for meaningfull errors.

Your init error is simple: something does not get up the right way and init is confused. that is all, that you can read from this no-worth init-errors, that you are posting.

Please post you log & conf.
But I bet you forgot to change the xorg.conf, right?
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 05:58 PM   #10
AlmaFuerte

Hi again people. I think that this is hardware problem (with the onboard card the system works fine). The issue is that i think that i've a pci card (i've a new machine, the card is a GeForce 5200 FX), but today i've opened the cpu case an i saw that the video card is in the AGP slot (the owners call it AGI slot, AGI comes from AsRock Graphics Intrface, my motherboard is an AsRock P4i45GV) and here becomes my problem: in the bios the card enabled to run is the PCI!!!!!!. I said to myself: "Why the card works if it is in the AGP slot and in the bios the PCI card is enabled?". Then i go into the bios and i've enabled the agp card (and off course disable the pci), i reboot the compute and everything works fine. My second surprise is that when i've look to the details of the controller in windows it said: type of bus: PCI. I really don't know why this is happening. If someone knows something about it i'll value your help.
(The system with the geforce card crash in the init -console mode-, in run level 5 and in run level 3)
Note: with the agp enabled in the bios i've test suse but appears the same problem (in run level 5 and 3)
Old 06-11-05, 10:27 PM   #11
AlmaFuerte

I was searching around the web and is possible that there is a problem with the agpgart. Is any way to remove the agpgart from init or from the system??
(agpgart is not necessary with the nvidia driver)
Old 08-12-05, 06:50 AM   #12
maphost

Hi Guys,

Am having a similer problem am running on Mandrake LE2005, P4i45GV R5.0 m/b, intel 82845 onboard, Geforce 4 MX440 on the so called AGI.

when I select the card on the AGI the system crashes and reboots over and over

linux newbaby
maphost is offline   Reply With Quote