Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-02, 04:10 PM   #1
yah_for_boston

Default display problems in gtk2

This is truly strange. Download and installed nvidia kernel drivers 1.0-4191
with no problem at all. Edited my XF86Config and GOD!

Gtk2 (I'm running dropline with slackware 8.1) apps look god awful! Mozilla displays great! OpenGL (far as I can tell with the few OpenGL screensavers I have) is also great. But gtk is nasty!

This is the result, I believe, of a deeper problem with the h and v sync of my monitor.

Hardware is as follows:

nvidia geforce2 mx 400/200 64 mb ram. (i don't know if its a 400 or 200... are they the same? its soooo generic.)

via p4vxas motherboard with 4x agp provided by the nvidia driver

lcd monitor: generic flat panel "Elements Plasmar 5L" with reported h frequency 30-60 khz and v frequency 50-75hz and max resolution 1024x768x75hz

for XF86Config, the output of /var/log/Xblahblah.log and a screenshot of what i'm talking about visit
http://people.bu.edu/ihummel

let me know if you guys require more info.

I've tried changing resolutions, ignoring edid information etc... no results.

Its really strange that mozilla (mail, contacts, etc...) look fine, but anything gtk is messed to all hell. thanks alot if anybody can lead me in the direction of a fix. willing to try just about anything.

-ian
yah_for_boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-02, 06:39 PM   #2
bwkaz

Wow, nastiness is right!

I'm pretty sure that's a problem on the software end, not really anything with the refresh rate or anything like that.

I believe that it's probably the case that the Gtk 2 libs are using an X extension (you can get at the list of currently-available extensions as part of the output of xdpyinfo) that the drivers have either replaced or implemented buggily. It may have something to do with the fact that the XAA extension stuff was all recently redone...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 01:31 AM   #3
yah_for_boston

Ok...

so how/to whom should i pass this information on?
I'm sure the gtk folks would like to know about this and/or the guy at dropline. you really think its something in gtk only? maybe i should send this to the folks at xfree86.org?

suggestions, advice appreciated.
yah_for_boston is offline   Reply With Quote