Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-02, 09:12 PM   #1
volt

Default Mozilla 1.3 Alpha Released

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r...-installer.exe

What's New in Mozilla 1.3a
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.3a/#new
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 04:55 AM   #2
HexiumVII

Opera rulez, i'm still using an old 3X version, i'm going to try the newer versions in a bit.
HexiumVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 05:01 PM   #3
The Baron

opera doesn't hold a candle to ANY version of Mozilla or Phoenix.

why? because it's not open source
Old 12-15-02, 08:09 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Opera - $39 (if you don't wanna stare at ads, and who does?) Need I say more?

Oh yeah, Mozilla is free and contains no ads. Gotta love open source.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 10:37 AM   #5
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman
Default Advantages of Mozilla, Opera?

I'm a hardcore IE user. Ever since Netscape 3 came out, I just couldnt bear with it any longer. What are some of the advantages that Mozilla, Opera or other Windows compatible browsers offer over IE 6 and soon to be released 7? I've been wondering if I'm missing out on any good features with IE.
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 10:49 AM   #6
volt

I don't know if you guys know this but Mozilla is the closest browser to render a page based on the actual HTML/CSS code.
"She" is very strict about CSS, but does a beautiful job rendering a well developed page...better than IE :P

But since most people develop for IE, you will see some pages look funky, that's because they are not using proper coding techniques.

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/ is the best resource for optimizing your webpages and implement proper code
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Last edited by volt; 12-16-02 at 11:34 AM.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 10:52 AM   #7
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Personally, I like Mozilla's interface more. Mozilla also offers integrated pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing support, two features not found on any version of IE to date. Another thing I really like about Moz is how you can set up scripts to block web sites from resizing your browser. My bank's web site automatically maximizes IE when I go to their page, not so with Mozilla. There's also an integrated IRC client in Mozilla, which is handy if overly basic in functionality.

The latest final release of Mozilla (1.2.1) has been very stable and is very fast. I expect the same once 1.3 gets out of alpha. The more I use Mozilla, the less I use IE. This will continue to be the case if IE doesn't integrate any tabbed browsing or pop-up stopping features.

Edit: volt brings up an excellent point. Sometimes I'll need to use IE if there's a severe problem with Mozilla rendering a certain site.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 12:52 PM   #8
madthumbs

Crazy browser offers tabbed browsing, pop up blocking, and uses IE's rendering engine. If those are your only gripes with IE, try it.

Old 12-16-02, 04:10 PM   #9
The Baron

It's WAY faster than IE.

Load up freshmeat.net in IE. Then try in Phoenix.

C'mon, everybody, close your mouths, you're getting drool on the floor.