Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-05, 02:23 AM   #1
DJMONDY

Default Good tv for my consoles

Ive been using a crappy old tv for years so ive decided to go out and get something decent.

This is what ive found and more than likely gonna buy:http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/ca...iew_223794.htm

Has anyone here got the same model or something similar? Is it good for gameing?

The onlt thing that bothers me about this particular review is "TVís only key flaw, smearing over motion, kicks in"????? ??????? Would this affect the quality of my games while playing?

If you can suggest something better please post a link

Thanks to anyone who can help
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 06:21 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Good tv for my consoles

Yup, Smearing sucks and makes gaming sometimes unplayable. I would look into a decent CRT unless you want to spend some cash to get a good LCD/DLP. If you go HDTV make sure you get one that atleast supports 720p, it will make any game that supports it look amazing.
Old 06-09-05, 06:47 AM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I wouldn't get a budget LCD TV for gaming. An HD CRT will give you a crisper picture and cost less.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 06:49 AM   #4
brady
I'm like everyone else.

my wife and i just got this 27" maxent lcdtv from costco for $800. hdtv looks fantastic on it. its funny cuz i'll just sit and watch discovery hd just cuz it looks so good. we also use it as a second monitor. it can display up to 1280x1024. ive been playing all my pc games (doom3, hl2, far cry, scct, flatout...) on the lcdtv, with my modded xbox controller and i must say that it looks so dang cool.

anyways, the reason we got it is cuz when we move in a year so that i can go to med school in AZ theres no way we are going to be able to afford building another sweet rig...so im probably just going to buy an xbox or ps3. we wanted something hd for that.

ps dont worry i dont play online with a controller. id get smeared. its just nice to be able to kick back in the lazyboy and shoot some zombies

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 06:57 AM   #5
DJMONDY

|MaguS|: Whats 720p??

saturnotaku: Ive got my pc CRT but i dont want to use it for tv or console gameing. Are lcdtv's really that bad for console gameing??

brady: Whats it like with your games??
Old 06-09-05, 07:01 AM   #6
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
brady: Whats it like with your games??
i think its just fine. ive never noticed any ugliness (smearing)...

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 07:16 AM   #7
|MaguS|

Low end LCDs are pretty bad for console gaming because they aren't made for gaming, they are usually aiming only for the DVD and TV watchers.

720p is the middle/high range of progressive scan that alot of HDTVs come with, the most common are 480p/1080i but you can find some CRTs that display 480p/720p/1080i. If you got alot of money to blow, get a 1080p 50" TV, LOL.
Old 06-09-05, 07:55 AM   #8
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Low end LCDs are pretty bad for console gaming because they aren't made for gaming, they are usually aiming only for the DVD and TV watchers.
Is the one im looking at a low end lcd-tv then?

How do i find out if its 720p or higher and if it is 720p or higher will it be ok for my games (xbox,gc,ps2 etc)??

Cheers for your help

Old 06-09-05, 08:03 AM   #9
|MaguS|

Only some games support 720p and 1080i, There are only about 20 or so xbox titles with 720p support and fewer with 1080i support, PS2 has none for 720p and only like one or two with 1080i. Almost all the Xbox titles support 480p and some of the PS2 support 480p, Don't know about Gamecube but RE4 does and it looks awsome!

What are the specs of the TV? I didn't see anything listed on the link you posted, not even a resolution. Usually any TV that can display 1280x720 resolution can produce 720p.
Old 06-09-05, 08:08 AM   #10
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
What are the specs of the TV? I didn't see anything listed on the link you posted, not even a resolution. Usually any TV that can display 1280x720 resolution can produce 720p.
Here's a better link for the specs. What do you think??

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-26PF8946

I did notice when i was in the shop yesterday flicking through the channels that the normal tv signal is kind of blurry on lcd screens compared to older tv's like mine. unless they have a bad signal in comet

The lady there is gonna setup a dvd for me to see when i get there tonight. maybe i should take my ps2 along with me to try because thats mainly what i want it for, console gameing, so i want the picture to be as good as possible.
Old 06-09-05, 08:25 AM   #11
|MaguS|

I wouldn't get that TV, From the specs you listed it doesn't support Component Inputs which would not allow you to play any true HDTV content. The TV technically isn't even HDTV, It does not support any Progressive Scan.

I don't even see the TV on Philips website...
Old 06-09-05, 08:37 AM   #12
DJMONDY

So you dont think it will be any good for my console games then?

I just noticed this on the second link, HDTV Monitor / HDTV-Ready - Requires separate receiver to view HDTV signals

I know the 23" model has component input on it but for some reason the 26" model doesnt?? dunno why.

Thanks for your help anyway