Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-05, 08:48 AM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: Good tv for my consoles

It would work with consoles but it wont be HD quality, basically the games would look as good as they do on a normal TV.
Old 06-09-05, 09:08 AM   #14
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
It would work with consoles but it wont be HD quality, basically the games would look as good as they do on a normal TV.
I dunno what to do but thanks anyway, you've been very helpfull.

DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 09:11 AM   #15
Tr1cK
not coming back

I got my 27" Advent HDTV for $400 at Best Buy.
1080, 3 sets of s-video, and 2 sets of component video in.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 07:08 PM   #16
evilchris

Please keep in mind that 480p is *not* HD when buying your set.
Old 06-09-05, 07:50 PM   #17
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMONDY
I just noticed this on the second link, HDTV Monitor / HDTV-Ready - Requires separate receiver to view HDTV signals
It is still fairly common to find HDTV ready sets that don't have the HDTV tuner built-in. It just means you'll need a set top box.

Here is an explanation for that (taken from Best-Buy):

Quote:
What's meant by "HD-Ready"?
Some HDTV sets on the market incorporate HD-capable displays coupled with a built-in HDTV tuner to receive over-the-air HD broadcasts (currently available only in certain markets, these broadcasts are becoming increasingly common as the 2006 digital-broadcast deadline approaches). Often referred to as integrated HDTVs, these models are indicated on the BestBuy.com Web site by the designation "with Built-In HDTV Tuner."

However, the vast majority of HD-capable TVs on the market are what's known as HD-ready TVs (or HDTV monitors) high-definition displays, often including one or more built-in NTSC TV tuners for reception of conventional analog TV broadcasts, but which must be connected to a separate HD source in order to realize their full potential. Since most current HD content is delivered via satellite or cable systems rather that over-the-air, some consumers (especially those who reside in areas where over-the-air HD content is not yet available) consider an HD-ready set to be the best solution for their current and future needs. But to experience HD broadcasts (where available) right out of the box with no additional investment, a built-in HD tuner is the ticket.

Like HD-ready models, integrated HDTVs generally provide exhaustive connectivity options, so you can always add cable or satellite sources as well to broaden your HD options. Conversely, over-the-air HD tuners are also available in stand-alone set-top boxes, often combined with cable and/or satellite reception capabilities. Obviously, there are lots of ways to achieve your desired HD viewing experience, so we advise you to weigh various factors (including cost, convenience, and content availability) before making your decision.
They also have a pretty good summary of all the terms and such:

HDTV Summary

Last edited by OWA; 06-09-05 at 08:02 PM.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 02:20 AM   #18
DJMONDY

I was able to try out the tv lastnight and i have to say i wasnt impressed

Tv signal: rubbish as i said before but that really wouldnt bother me as i dont watch much tv.

Dvd's: fantastic on this tv. The quality of the picture was great so watching dvd's on it would be fine.

Gaming: at first i wasnt impressed at all with the picture, it was fuzzy and very blurred and there was problems around small details like eyes and hands etc. Then one of the guys in comet recommended the new scart cables for the ps2 (also available for xbox) and it did improve the picture quality hugely around the small details and alot of other things but it was still very blurred.

I havnt bought one yet as i dont think i should spend that type of money on something that isnt very good for my main purpose, gameing.
So unless i go out and spend half the price on a big bulky tv which i didnt really want it looks like im gonna be sticking with my old tv for now.

Thanks to everyone who posted
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote