Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-05, 02:26 PM   #1
|MaguS|

Default No High Definition support for Revolution

Yeah... first Miyamoto goes on how games are too long and now they will drop the ball and refuse to support HD? Seriously do they want to lose thier support? Poeple were pissed enought when they removed it from the Gamecube but the Revolution will not have it at all from the beginning. LAME!

So... no long games... no HD support... Charging for Emulation of Old Titles... whats next, return to carts?

Quote:
"Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/624/624516p2.html

HD support would not increase cost that much, if anything really noticable. They are already getting a nextgen GPU by ATI, that alone should be able to process and display HD signals.
Old 06-13-05, 02:54 PM   #2
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: No High Definition support for Revolution

WTF. I wouldnt touch a console control if it wasn't hooked to HD. Even with HD they still look like balls compared to my PC.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 03:36 PM   #3
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Wow, that's really quite rediculous. I mean honestly, even the Sega SATURN had HD capabilities (even if they were never actually used), yet 10 years later a "next gen" console doesn't? What in the world are they thinking? It's almost funny if you think about it...the Revolution won't be able to display resolutions above what a Voodoo 1 could. Maybe that "ATI GPU" is based on the Rage chipset

They also lie about HD increasing development costs for games. All it would do is run the game in high resolution, it's an entirely hardware based feature, not a development one. That's like saying Dreamcast and Xbox games that run in progressive scan (through the VGA pack for the Dreamcast) cost more to develop than games that don't have support for those.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 04:12 PM   #4
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Saturn had HD capabilities ? Are you not mistaking it with the fact that with PAL it could use the native 576 lines resolution ?
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 04:26 PM   #5
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
Saturn had HD capabilities ? Are you not mistaking it with the fact that with PAL it could use the native 576 lines resolution ?
It did, they had designed the console with future HDTV support in mind, but never released the cable/games that would support it. You can find that on any tech spec sheet about the Saturn:

http://dextremes.com/sega/sat-spec.html

Quote:
Input/Output

High speed serial communications port
Internal 32-bit Expansion port
Internal Multi AV Port for optional Video CD (MPEG) adapter
Composite Video/Stereo (Standard)
NTSC RF (Optional)
S-Video Compatible (Optional)
RGB Compatible (Optional)
HDTV Compatible (Optional)
Analog Control Pad (x2)
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 04:44 PM   #6
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Mmmh... I think it means that Sega provided an HDTV component video adapter.

The available resolutions were:
320x224, 640x224 and 720x576

Although the last resolution was seldom encountered; maybe it was just there for compatibility with other formats like Photo CD; PAL games ran at 224 lines just as the NTSC ones. It wasn't until the XBox that us PAL users could take advantage of the better native resolution of our TVs.

I understand why US people are so eager to switch to HDTV. The old, analog NTSC isn't very good both at color and resolution.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder

Last edited by msxyz; 06-13-05 at 04:55 PM.
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 05:36 PM   #7
brady
I'm like everyone else.

geez whats going on over there at nintendo? i think they are trying to get back to the days when they just made card games...

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 06:24 PM   #8
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Nintendo of America confirmed to GameSpot today that it does not anticipate its next-generation console, the Revolution, to support HDTV. "There currently are no plans for Nintendo Revolution to support high-definition video output," said Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs.
LINK

****ing idiots.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-05, 08:57 PM   #9
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
WTF. I wouldnt touch a console control if it wasn't hooked to HD. Even with HD they still look like balls compared to my PC.
Check your HDTV in for service. HD games look every bit as defined as a PC game at 1600x1200. Xbox games that you think "look like balls" compared to your PC probably "look like balls" since they are running on 2001 hardware.

Xbox 360 and PS3 games, when they and their consoles get here, will easily outdo current PC games as far as graphics are concerned.
Old 06-13-05, 09:34 PM   #10
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Check your HDTV in for service. HD games look every bit as defined as a PC game at 1600x1200. Xbox games that you think "look like balls" compared to your PC probably "look like balls" since they are running on 2001 hardware.
I disagree. 720p Xbox games on a 30" widescreen TV can't touch the sharpness of 1600x1200 on my 17" CRT. Using 1600x1200 on such a small screen has really spoiled me. lol

Getting back on topic, it looks to me like Revolution is dead in the water. Lack of technology and lack of 3rd party support is whats gonna ruin the Revolution.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 09:53 PM   #11
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

What's next?

First games are too short...are they too original too? Do they look too good?

Next Nintendo will say that they were right about "connectivity".

"Connectivity will be the future of gaming, so we've developed a technology that allows you to plug your Revolution into your DS. In fact, that's the only way you can play Revolution games. Who wants to struggle to see crucial gameplay elements while searching endlessly all over a big screen? With this in mind, we've opted for DS display exclusivity, to ensure that the player can see all gameplay features on a DS screen without moving their eyes. Also, the DS makes a much better controller than those huge and clumsy standard controllers."
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 10:15 PM   #12
Rakeesh

I remember when nintendo said that online gaming on consoles wouldn't ever pick up, and that cost them on the GC. They did that at the dawn of broadband in the US. And likewise, nowadays they are taking the opposite approach.

Now they are just going to do the same thing with the revolution, only in this case with HD. And they are also doing this at the dawn of HDTV in the US.

And ninty fanboys keep insisting that nintendo pull a sega.

I wonder if the "revolution" wont be on DVD? In other words, they forget DVD movie playback just like the GC.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote