Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-02, 10:40 AM   #13
bwkaz

Yeah, Wolfman is right. The problem is definitely that you don't have kernel-source installed.

The reason I can tell is this bit:

Quote:
-I/usr/src/linux/include
in the compile command. If you have a kernel-source package installed, that will be -I/lib/modules/<whatever your kernel version is>/build/include instead. build is a symlink to the actual kernel source directory (usually /usr/src/linux-<version>, but not always).

Once kernel-source is installed, this path should change. The asm/<whatever>.h files should also show up.

There is still a possibility that it might not work, though. If it doesn't, then you'll have to configure that kernel source directory. If you're using RH's kernel-source package (which it seems you will be, based on the kernel version), then that's pretty easy, just find the file in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3/configs that matches the kernel you installed and your hardware (arch, SMP-ness, etc., along with whether you installed e.g. the -secure kernel, or the -enterprise kernel, or whatever). Then cp that file to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3/.config so that it can be used in the next steps.

Then do a cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3, then a make mrproper oldconfig dep, then try the nVidia driver again. The oldconfig part does the kernel configuration, based on the defaults found in the .config file that you just put there.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 01:26 PM   #14
stevnb

Send a message via AIM to stevnb

O.K., I have finally achieved a full kernel source load on the system. I ran the rpm --rebuild and that went through successfully.

I then attempted to install the rpm that was created. This results in:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3_isi_1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

Failed to install nvidia.o

error: execution of %post scriptlet from NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191 failed, exit status 1

Please advise on course to follow.

Thanks
stevnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 01:30 PM   #15
stevnb

Send a message via AIM to stevnb

further info:

depmod -ae shows:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3_isi_1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
depmod: register_chrdev_R02ca188e
depmod: __pollwait_R88d2ac43
depmod: irq_stat_R51b43718
depmod: remove_proc_entry_Rb4cc32b6
depmod: create_proc_entry_Ra60a30fa
depmod: pm_unregister_R94097bd6
depmod: proc_root_Rb08c6a10
depmod: init_mm_R114872b3
depmod: mem_map_R2d57b9df
depmod: pm_register_R027ebe5e
depmod: proc_root_driver_R9f42fa85
stevnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 03:26 PM   #16
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by stevnb
2.4.18-3_isi_1
???

Why is there an _isi_1 there?

modprobe nvidia looks under /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ for an nvidia.o, and loads it. The fact that it's looking in 2.4.18-3_isi_1 says to me that the kernel version has changed -- and since RedHat doesn't distribute any _isi_1 kernels that I know of, it seems that someone has changed the top-level Makefile when your "standard" 2.4.18-3 was compiled.

Which brings up the possibility that they changed more than just the version. If they changed the configuration as well, then that explains the unresolved symbols. If someone changed the configuration of the kernel you're running, then the configuration that's stored in RedHat's configs/ directory will (obviously) not match up. You need a .config file that matches your running kernel at compile time, otherwise you'll see unresolved symbols like this.

Soooo...

You need to talk to whoever came up with this _isi_1 kernel, and get the .config file from the source directory, from them. Do what you did with the other config file with this one (that is, copy it to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3, then run make mrproper oldconfig dep), and try NVIDIA_kernel again.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote