Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-05, 06:36 PM   #1
Digital_Trans

Default Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 cooling problem! Help!

I just recently upgraded my eVGA 6800 Ultra SLI stock cooling to
the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Revision 2. Both cards are equipped with their own Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5. My temps are higher now then they were with the stock heatsink ~~~Sad! I used Arctic Silver 5 High Density Thermal Compound instead of the Thermal Compound that came with the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5. Any suggestions????
Is there a better way to get my temps lowered or am I doing something
wrong?

AMD Athlon64 3400+ 2.2GHz
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
3GB PC3200-DDR
SLI 6800 Ultra
Silver Stone (650W)
Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Digital_Trans; 06-26-05 at 06:37 PM. Reason: ---Fast Write---
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 07:52 PM   #2
Clay

Default Re: Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 cooling problem! Help!

The first thing to do is to remove the NV5 and check for contact issues with your GPU and/or memory modules. Look at the impression that is made (or isn't made). If you're getting poor contact then you might want to try tightening the mounting screws another turn or so. Don't force them, you don't want to apply too much force but if they'll tighten a bit more without you really straining then you should be ok. Again, it's best to first see what kind of impression/imprint the thermal compound is leaving on the NV5 surface though. If you can, post pics here of what you see.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 08:31 PM   #3
Addy

Yeah, what Clay said. I just installed a Zalman vf700-cu on my GT a few days ago. I used Arctic Silver5 and was really disappointed that the temps were pretty much the same as my stock cooler 400/1000: idle 59-61 and load w/ trhdribl 1600x900 it was 87-91.

I took the cooler off and had made poor contact. I used the same method as a CPU, small dollop in the middle. It had failed to spread over the gpu. When I re-did it, I spread a thin layer over the gpu using a cut up credit card just wider than the gpu. Now itís 51-53 idle and 74-80 with trhdrilbl.
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 09:37 PM   #4
j0j081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy
Yeah, what Clay said. I just installed a Zalman vf700-cu on my GT a few days ago. I used Arctic Silver5 and was really disappointed that the temps were pretty much the same as my stock cooler 400/1000: idle 59-61 and load w/ trhdribl 1600x900 it was 87-91.

I took the cooler off and had made poor contact. I used the same method as a CPU, small dollop in the middle. It had failed to spread over the gpu. When I re-did it, I spread a thin layer over the gpu using a cut up credit card just wider than the gpu. Now itís 51-53 idle and 74-80 with trhdrilbl.
Last week I installed the Zalman on my gt. Temps went from 64 C idle to 54 C idle on the first try. Then I redid it yesterday w/AS5 and I'm down to 53 C idle but apparently the AS5 needs a bit of breaking in so maybe I'll get a couple more degrees of that at least.

When applying the AS5 I put a small amount in the middle like the cpu, then wrapped my finger in some cling wrap and spread it over the gpu as evenly as possible.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 03:02 AM   #5
Digital_Trans

Well, I'm converting back to the stock heatsink that came with these
eVGA 6800 Ultra PCI-Express Graphics Cards. Arctic Cooling is making both cards run very high temps even in idle mode. I used Arctic Silver 5 and still no lowered temps. Screenshot of temps for both GPU are displayed below
Just take a look for yourselfs. Any suggestions??? Any ideas???
If not it's back to the stock heatsink from eVGA.

Last edited by Digital_Trans; 06-28-05 at 03:18 AM.
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 08:33 AM   #6
starfury6
Dark Jedi

Send a message via MSN to starfury6

I bought 2 of these for my ultras and my temps were waaaaay higher than with the stock coolers.

As clay suggests, you need to keep trying with the As5 paste checking after each fitting to make sure you have complete contact with the GPU. This is what I had to do and now my temps are only slightly higher idle and load, and I expect them to return to the same as stock when the as5 beds in at around 200 hours. The Ultra coolers are very effective just stupidly noisy. My machine is a little cooler inside due to the NV5 exhausts and a damned site quieter.

I just need a quieter CPU fan and I'll be sorted, i went a bit overboard and got a 125cfm 120mm fan! Sounds like a vacum cleaner!
Maxtor DM10 250GB SATA NCQ / NEC 2500A DVD+-RW / Sony DDU1613 DVD-ROM
starfury6 is offline   Reply With Quote