Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-05, 07:31 PM   #25
slightcrazed

Default Re: 1.0-7667 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyceel
I think it was mentioned before that we have a lab full of nearly identical machines that all have the same problem. I don't think Dell is in the habit of using weird chipsets. The PSU is capable of handling high-end Quadro and FireGL cards, I don't think a little 6600GT should be a problem. The BIOS settings on Dell Precisions don't allow a lot of adjustment. I did update the BIOS yesterday (as well as the video BIOS on the card), no change.

It's not like we have systems that we built ourselves full of odd combinations of components. These are Dell Precision 670's. We're certainly not rushing to judgement here. We've tried a lot of things before blaming the drivers.

Trying it now...

Just out of curiosity, have you ruled out all heat related issues? Is the fan turning? If you run nvidia-settings and watch the temps do they spike during opengl rendering?

Also, have you tried NVAGP in place of agpgart?

slight
slightcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 08:45 PM   #26
gleepy

I had this problem with my GeForce 6600 card, Athlon 64 in 32 bit mode. XFree86 4.5.0, Linux 2.6.11.2 system. I would run the game TuxKart and the system would seize about 8-10 minutes in the game, requiring a hard reset by switch to get things going again.

I never had the problem again after I ran nvidia-settings, enabling "Sync to VBlank" and "Allow Flipping" inside "OpenGL Settings". YMMV.
gleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 08:17 AM   #27
warlock_ba

Send a message via ICQ to warlock_ba
Angry Re: 1.0-7667 for Linux x86 released

Ok, NVM what i said, I hope anyone would have seen the explanation kinda "logic", and get to his brain. But anyhow, there is A BUG. Which they don't (want/care) to fix, apparently. This is bad.

In the end ... whatever ... but for many people out there, the driver does not work, and even a new investition does not pay off due to this. That's the plain truth.

C ya all

Last edited by warlock_ba; 06-27-05 at 06:11 AM.
warlock_ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 08:41 AM   #28
GGtheMaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup
I hope this helps the NVidia developers:

I use "Software Suspend 2" (swsusp.sf.net; pointer to the real site whose name I don't recall). Anyway, since approx. 6629, we've had to add the following to .../usr/src/nv/nv.c to get it to work with swsusp2:

Code:
--- nv.c.orig   Mon Jun 20 14:03:54 2005
+++ nv.c        Mon Jun 20 14:03:54 2005
@@ -3424,6 +3424,8 @@

switch (state)
     {
+        case PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY:
+           nv_printf(NV_DBG_INFO, "NVRM: ACPI: recieved PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY\n");
         case PM_SUSPEND_MEM:
             nv_printf(NV_DBG_INFO, "NVRM: ACPI: received suspend event\n");
             status = rm_power_management(nv, 0, NV_PM_ACPI_STANDBY);
... as I guess swsusp2 emits "PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY". 6629 and 7174 work perfectly with swsusp2, and are rock solid (kernels 2.6.9-2.6.11.12 for me).

However, with 7664 and 7667, after a resume the screen will become corrupted if you switch from the X VT to any text VT. Switching back to the X VT restores the X screen OK. The effect is if it never returns back to a "text" mode; it stays in a graphical mode and you can see a corrupted version of my X background on the screen. (This is, of course, with the above patch applied. Leaving the patch out means I can't resume- I get a black screen that I have to "SysRq-S/N/B" to restart my system to get out of; perhaps that patch should go into future NVidia driver releases?)

Dell Inspiron 8200, NV11 [GeForce2 Go] (rev 178), 32MB video memory, 1600x1200x32bpp LCD, XFree86 4.4
I have the same problem Kcrudup, but not with swsusp2, but with Software Suspend of the kernel.

With 7174 (and the previous versions) suspend to RAM and suspend to disk work perfectly, from 7664 (and last 7667) I have the same your problems!

Now I use 7174!

Toshiba M30-801, GeForce FX Go5200, 64MB video memory, OS Slackware current, Xorg 6.8.2, kernel 2.6.12.1 (but same problem also with previous kernels!), 1280x800x24bpp.
GGtheMaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 09:53 AM   #29
ferno

Has anybody had any luck having this drivers install on Mandriva AMD64 (10.2)?

I think I have tried all previous driver versions, allways ending up with make errors. Actually I had the same problems with Mandrake AMD64 10.1. On the other hand when I was running Mandrake 32bit (10.0) everything run smooth.

This is the only discernible error message I get on my Mandriva AMD64:

In file included from /root/tmp/selfgz6663/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7667-pkg2
/usr/src/nv/nv.c:14:
/root/tmp/selfgz6663/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7667-pkg2/usr/src/nv/nv-linux.h
:507:2: #error "kernel function vmap(), which is necessary for x86_64 appear
s to be unavailable in this kernel!"

Any clues?

Thanks a lot!
ferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 10:55 PM   #30
kirkengaard
Former IT Slave

Send a message via ICQ to kirkengaard Send a message via AIM to kirkengaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock_ba
Still crashing every 5 minutes ... um .... am I retarded or what? This is unbelievable.... cm'on ....
It's just like you sell poo, and ppl say, OK we don't want poo. And then you say, look we put a red scarf on it. And they still say, they don't want poo, and then you say again, look it has a sticker on it ... etc ... isn't still not convincing enough to stop selling poo ?
HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE IF YOU HAVE THE SOURCECODE TO FIX A BUG ?
DUDES, u can't fix a bug in a driver. The Kernel.org guys fix bugs in ANY driver, and maintain an OPERATING SYSTEM (not a driver).
I would really suggest to Nvidia to integrate the driver into the kernel. So it can be "fixed" by the pro's ... or to release the code as open source ... so some competent people should/could fix it.
I know this is too much asked, but, please, for the love of God, fix that driver! 4 releases with same functionality bug (not feature bug). In a normal companity, u would get fired for that, or lose the project. I think linux people will start thinking about a backup solution very soon, which name will not contain Nvidia anymore ...
Ok, listen ta me, you schmuck. Here's a primer.

1) NVidia is playing ball. They don't have to; it is advantageous to them because it opens a market not available to non-Linux-supporting card manufacturers, but in this market, it isn't truly mandatory. We consider this a good start. Many of us like having a largely functional driver, even if it isn't free. We will work constructively WITH them, not shoot our mouths off to no good end. Répétez, s'il vous plait.

2) Millions of people donate their time to scratch their own itches on the kernel. All bugs are ultimately transparent given that kind of developer pool. NVidia has a paid developer pool that is necessarily smaller. Source access does not immediately connote transparency, especially on complex projects that support hundreds of configurations, driving a fairly vast range of products. I suggest you try it sometime.

3) For God's sake, learn to speak English, or at least type it well.

(sidenote: kernel.org is (broadly) a hosting system maintained by H. Peter Anvin & Friends; kernel developers do not work for kernel.org, they work for themselves and the community. The "kernel.org guys" help make the kernel developers' lives easier, and the kernel users' lives easier, and some work on the kernel itself, but the two projects are not synonymous. Be more precise.)

In future, please channel your frustration into useful channels, and speak on what you know. We would all like the bugs to be fixed, but berating the dev pool on an otherwise useful thread is not a preferred debugging output format, and is unlikely to achieve your desired end. Thank you.
Abit BE7-RAID - 2.8GHz P4 - 1.5GB PC2700 - Chaintech GeForce FX 5900XT (450/750 stable) - Slackware-current, 2.6.[MOST RECENT]-rcX-[mmX,rtX]. KIDS: DO TRY THIS AT HOME! (just not on production equipment)
kirkengaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 03:36 AM   #31
arokh

Is this warlock_ba character a real person? Fascinating how little insight some people have into how stuff works.

This bug you're talking about, the "crashing every 5 minutes" thing, have it ever occurred to you that the nvidia drivers might not be the problem? I have never heard of or experienced anything like that because of the driver.

Did you also know that the kernel part of the driver already is open sourced, and because it's not GPL'ed it won't be ALLOWED to be a part of the kernel?
Old 06-28-05, 06:45 PM   #32
pointym5

Well, with a GF4 MX4000 board with Ubuntu (2.6.10 and 2.6.11), I can reproduce lockups when RenderAccel is enabled quite easily; they happen pretty much immediately upon launching certain X apps. With RenderAccel disabled, the system is rock-solid.
pointym5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-05, 06:55 PM   #33
kcrudup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointym5
I can reproduce lockups when RenderAccel is enabled quite easily; they happen pretty much immediately upon launching certain X apps. With RenderAccel disabled, the system is rock-solid.
Can you give examples? I've had nothing but success with RenderAccel (and I set it "True" explicitly) and I run Opera as my browser, which I'm pretty sure uses the RENDER extension pretty heavily.
kcrudup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 12:30 AM   #34
gtzpower

I am for some reason unable to download this file from nvidia, it stalls at ~4MB. Are there any mirror sites/torrents/etc available as alternatives? I went to download.com and d/l'd a 50 MB file just fine as a test to see if it was my internet service or not. I've been unable to download this nvidia package for 2 days now and I have tried MANY times. please help! I just registered at transgaming and REALLY want the drivers for my videocard so I can play
gtzpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 02:44 AM   #35
warlock_ba

Send a message via ICQ to warlock_ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrudup
Can you give examples? I've had nothing but success with RenderAccel (and I set it "True" explicitly) and I run Opera as my browser, which I'm pretty sure uses the RENDER extension pretty heavily.
The most simple example is, start Konqueror and scroll down on a webpage. The weird issue though is, that it heapens only on webpages (even on a simple html, no pics or other fancy stuff). If I open a huge folder the lockup does not occur.
Render accel, for me has no big effect on this issue. Or at least i don't see it.
But PC is not dead. Crashing X by a remote console helps out usually.
warlock_ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 02:45 AM   #36
gdh

Hmm, still cannot get my laptop 1920x1200 screen to go beyond a 1600x1200 resolution (dell D800). Works just fine with the 6xxx series
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote