Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-05, 02:31 AM   #49
arokh

Default Re: 1.0-7667 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman [TWP]
So I guess this means that I paid $700+AUS for a card that only does half of what it's supposed to (GF6800GT) even when using the NVidia drivers?! That's crazy!. And from the last thread it explains why the power cores in UT2K4 are all stuffed up. So much for unified/cross platform drivers. But I guess I have to be thankful that I haven't had problems installing or using them (Yet) and at least the games are playable.

Wolf
Hey, please take a look here:

http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2229&p=6

That's right, FX5900 beats the hell out of an X800 Pro.
Old 07-01-05, 02:39 AM   #50
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh
Hey, please take a look here:

http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2229&p=6

That's right, FX5900 beats the hell out of an X800 Pro.
Who mentioned anything about the X800??!! I'm saying that I have a card, that the drivers don't even FULLY support. Assuming the info in the previous thread is correct, which I think is. (And I've seen the Core graphics in UT2K4, that was mentioned and it's correct, that the Linux ones render differently than the windows ones.. So there must be somthing missing in the Linux drivers somewhere)

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 02:49 AM   #51
arokh

Quote:
Who mentioned anything about the X800??!! I'm saying that I have a card, that the drivers don't even FULLY support. Assuming the info in the previous thread is correct, which I think is. (And I've seen the Core graphics in UT2K4, that was mentioned and it's correct, that the Linux ones render differently than the windows ones.. So there must be somthing missing in the Linux drivers somewhere)

Wolf
You said you wasted $700 I just posted the benchmark so you see that your money wouldn't have been better spent on something else. I don't see why nvidia should be judged so hard for minor stuff, I'm sure they will fix this soon. They do have lots of stuff going on with the FreeBSD and Solaris drivers, big kudos to them.

I think your statement that your card only does 50% is not true when we're talking about _one_ specific game.

Btw, where did you find a 6800GT for $700 dollars??? I recently payed $428 for mine, and I thought that was expensive

Last edited by arokh; 07-01-05 at 03:20 AM.
arokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 03:36 AM   #52
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

I just got this on my Gf4 Ti w/ kernel 2.6.13-rc1:

NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0000 0000 fe000000 0000fde4 fe000000 fe000000
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 05:29 AM   #53
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD

So that's the reason why do I have 12 fps in some ONS maps with highest details at 1280x1024 and 18 fps with lowest graphics at 640x480?
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 06:45 AM   #54
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
You said you wasted $700 I just posted the benchmark so you see that your money wouldn't have been better spent on something else. I don't see why nvidia should be judged so hard for minor stuff, I'm sure they will fix this soon. They do have lots of stuff going on with the FreeBSD and Solaris drivers, big kudos to them.

I think your statement that your card only does 50% is not true when we're talking about _one_ specific game.

Btw, where did you find a 6800GT for $700 dollars??? I recently payed $428 for mine, and I thought that was expensive
That's $700AUS. I know the benchmark results for this card (thankyou ), which is why I bought it. BUT, to find out that the drivers don't completely support the features of this card, one tends to wonder, what else is missing. Sure, what was mentioned pointed at only one game. But how do we know, that other games are not affected as well. And I've been using Nvidia graphics cards for many years and I've been quite happy with them. But to find out that many features are missing is quite disturbing. And as to, that they will have the driver fixed soon.. When? I been reading that for years... Still, at least we have something to start with, as it's better than nothing at all.. Anyway.. Enough said on this subject..

Wolf
Old 07-01-05, 06:55 AM   #55
arokh

Quote:
That's $700AUS. I know the benchmark results for this card (thankyou ), which is why I bought it. BUT, to find out that the drivers don't completely support the features of this card, one tends to wonder, what else is missing. Sure, what was mentioned pointed at only one game. But how do we know, that other games are not affected as well. And I've been using Nvidia graphics cards for many years and I've been quite happy with them. But to find out that many features are missing is quite disturbing. And as to, that they will have the driver fixed soon.. When? I been reading that for years... Still, at least we have something to start with, as it's better than nothing at all.. Anyway.. Enough said on this subject..

Wolf
The nvidia drivers support OpenGL 2.0, how much more complete does it get? As the nvidia guy said the game should have been rewritten with pixel shaders.
Keep in mind that UT2k4 is originally a DirectX game, don't blame everything on nvidia because it has a bad OpenGL port.
Old 07-01-05, 07:08 AM   #56
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
The nvidia drivers support OpenGL 2.0, how much more complete does it get? As the nvidia guy said the game should have been rewritten with pixel shaders.
Keep in mind that UT2k4 is originally a DirectX game, don't blame everything on nvidia because it has a bad OpenGL port.
Yeah, it does now.. OpenGL and DirectX make use of the features of the card and driver. If their not there to begin with you can't use the feature.. Regardless whether it's a GL or DX game or not.. Which tends to mean that the windows drivers have that support and the Linux ones don't.. And remember, I'm NOT saying the drivers are crap, I just saying that they don't fully support the card(s).

Old 07-01-05, 08:15 AM   #57
arokh

Quote:
Yeah, it does now.. OpenGL and DirectX make use of the features of the card and driver. If their not there to begin with you can't use the feature.. Regardless whether it's a GL or DX game or not.. Which tends to mean that the windows drivers have that support and the Linux ones don't.. And remember, I'm NOT saying the drivers are crap, I just saying that they don't fully support the card(s).
You don't get it. When the drivers has OpenGL 2.0 support it can use every feature of your card. UT2k4 was primarily meant for DirectX even though they have a Linux port, it is obviously not very good. This is not nvidia's fault, it's the Unreal developers. The technology is there to make it take full use of your nvidia card.

The only other competitor to 3D on Linux is ati. Now look at the benchmarks for those cards. Obviously ati doesn't really count as a competitor. So, it would make much more sense for them to make sure the game runs properly on nvidia cards. If it doesn't, not nvidia's fault.
Old 07-01-05, 08:25 AM   #58
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
You don't get it. When the drivers has OpenGL 2.0 support it can use every feature of your card. UT2k4 was primarily meant for DirectX even though they have a Linux port, it is obviously not very good. This is not nvidia's fault, it's the Unreal developers. The technology is there to make it take full use of your nvidia card.

The only other competitor to 3D on Linux is ati. Now look at the benchmarks for those cards. Obviously ati doesn't really count as a competitor. So, it would make much more sense for them to make sure the game runs properly on nvidia cards. If it doesn't, not nvidia's fault.
If you say so, you seem to have all the answers. Maybe you should be working on the drivers then..
Old 07-01-05, 08:44 AM   #59
arokh

Quote:
If you say so, you seem to have all the answers. Maybe you should be working on the drivers then..
I don't have all the answers, just general knowledge of how stuff works. I keep close track with both drivers and hardware

Just keep in mind that if you don't know how it works then you can't claim that this or that is broken.

Also, X.org isn't the best written piece of software on earth (read the discussions on the mailing lists regarding XRENDER for instance), I think it's amazing what nvidia has done so far.
Old 07-01-05, 09:18 AM   #60
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
I don't have all the answers, just general knowledge of how stuff works. I keep close track with both drivers and hardware

Just keep in mind that if you don't know how it works then you can't claim that this or that is broken.

Also, X.org isn't the best written piece of software on earth (read the discussions on the mailing lists regarding XRENDER for instance), I think it's amazing what nvidia has done so far.
Yep, agreed, and like you I also have general knowlege of how this stuff works. And I too have been keeping track with the drivers & the hardware. It seems that none of the software is perfect, since there's too much guess work and not enough help from the hardware people. So I guess it's expected that there will be problems. And since some of this stuff is used in a business enviroment, one can't afford to have problems. With regards to the UT2K4 thing, I've seen the differences, since I have this same card in a Windows system too. (I don't use the DX stuff in UT just GL) From the looks of things, most of the game developers seem to be moving more and more to GL. Since it's more cross platform than DX. So that's a good thing. And that means that the drivers in both enviroments have to respond in exactly the same way etc etc.. Anyway it's enough from me on this topic..