Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-05-05, 10:00 AM   #73
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD
Default Re: 1.0-7667 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh
You know what, that's what they said two years ago. Nvidia is seriously years ahead.
Oh that's great. But that's no excuse for not using all TMUs!
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 12:38 PM   #74
arokh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubosD
Oh that's great. But that's no excuse for not using all TMUs!
True

But nvidia says all TMU's will be used when using pixel shaders right? I'm assuming Doom3 does this? Can anybody confirm?

If that's the case then all future games _should_ not have this problem. Is it really that big of a showstopper for UT2k4? Any other games where this is true?
Old 07-05-05, 01:22 PM   #75
arokh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow
Wow .... It's amazin of how unobjective fanboys are. I like nVidia as much as the next person but they are very far from perfect.

Have another sip of kool-aid.
Could you please be so kind to explain in what way I am unobjective? I've had a 9800PRO and X800XT during the past year, plus I have experience with the drivers at work. There's no way you can defend their drivers, they really are that bad.

Please cool down hateboy, there's no signs on this forums that says only those unhappy with nvidia can post.
Old 07-06-05, 07:15 AM   #76
Mow

Quote:
Could you please be so kind to explain in what way I am unobjective? I've had a 9800PRO and X800XT during the past year, plus I have experience with the drivers at work. There's no way you can defend their drivers, they really are that bad.
All anyone has to do is look how you respond to people that post problems how you automatically assume that it ISN'T something with the nVidia driver regardless of the count of people that are having issues. The proof really is in your posting.

And so what if you had those cards in the past year. That doesn't mean a thing. I bet there are people that work for nVidia that have ATI cards as well. So that argument is moot.

And I wasn't defending ATI's drivers, as I've said before I think they are crap and won't own anything else but nVidia.

Every person has the right to post here. Only reason I got on your case is because of posts like the one I mentioned above. You serve no purpose by posting things like that. If you can't offer any help other than to say that, then why even waste the time to type it? nVidia's products are made by humans and thus will have problems. Period.

I'm done responding to you as I have said what I needed to say. Good luck to you.
Mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-05, 10:49 AM   #77
arokh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow
All anyone has to do is look how you respond to people that post problems how you automatically assume that it ISN'T something with the nVidia driver regardless of the count of people that are having issues. The proof really is in your posting.

And so what if you had those cards in the past year. That doesn't mean a thing. I bet there are people that work for nVidia that have ATI cards as well. So that argument is moot.

And I wasn't defending ATI's drivers, as I've said before I think they are crap and won't own anything else but nVidia.

Every person has the right to post here. Only reason I got on your case is because of posts like the one I mentioned above. You serve no purpose by posting things like that. If you can't offer any help other than to say that, then why even waste the time to type it? nVidia's products are made by humans and thus will have problems. Period.

I'm done responding to you as I have said what I needed to say. Good luck to you.
You are so full of it. I almost never make assumptions, I just point out when other people do (which often happens). Please tell me exactly where I do this, and show me one thread where I am not being a resource.

Why doesn't it mean a thing that I've dealt with ATi cards under Linux for the past year? Last time I checked having experience was useful.

Only person serving no purpose here is you. I help every one I can around here as long as I have the time. This thread is for discussion of the latest driver release, not one person's specific problem. If you actually read it you'd see several people posting similar to "the driver doesn't work for me so nvidia is crap", now THAT's assumption.
Old 07-06-05, 10:54 AM   #78
Mow

In reponse to your challenge of showing you a post I offer this:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke
Give us more TMU's, ATI provides 6 in their driver. Get it right.
The ATi driver is still a piece of ****, so....

Which you are only basing that off of your opinion ... the rest of your post is just meaningless.

Thanks for playing. Have some more kool-aid and have yourself a nice day. I've proven my point.
Old 07-06-05, 11:27 AM   #79
arokh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow
In reponse to your challenge of showing you a post I offer this:

Which you are only basing that off of your opinion ... the rest of your post is just meaningless.

Thanks for playing. Have some more kool-aid and have yourself a nice day. I've proven my point.
No, it only proves you can't read.

The person I was quoting insinuated that the ATi driver was better. This thread is for discussion, so I voiced my opinion (which is based on actual experience and can be easily proved; anyone who has installed and used it know it's a piece of ****).

Too bad that you can't understand the concept of debate.
Old 07-06-05, 11:48 AM   #80
Mow

Lol .. okay champ whatever. I've already proven you to be a fanboy and a hack now I'm moving on.

pwned.

Old 07-06-05, 12:34 PM   #81
Debian
Linux Zealot

Okay enough of the soap opera personally after reading the threads through here I agree with Mow in part, however this is not the place for this stuff... talk about 2 people being childish. Both of you need a timeout.

Anyway back to topic ... anyone else getting slowness issues after upgrading to the new driver? I've had to revert back a driver becuase I lost framerates while gaming.
Debian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:33 PM   #82
programsynth

Hi, I am having a problem with the new driver and kernel 2.6.12 and this current nvidia driver. I have verified that my kernel sources are in the right place, and had a successful build. But when I run the nvidia installer, after the module builds successfully, it is unable to be loaded, and the installation fails! I tried loading it myself from a manual build, and it says that the device was not probed. On kernel 2.4, agpgart used to say more about my device, but now it just runs at startup. Does it have anything to do with that? I am running slackware 10.1, after an upgrade from the 2.4.29 kernel.
programsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 12:11 AM   #83
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

I'm not debating what is better, all I know for a fact is that UT2004 looks better on ATI hardware because the damn game has access to 6 TMU's instead of the hidious 4 which isnt enough.

Examples:
Power core/node rendering looks like utter crap.

Swamp in DM-Antulus is plain reflective without the swampy texture.

More to be found for sure.

Adding 2 more texturing units to the multitexturing pipeline isnt a big job, since you can already address 4, addressing 6 to match ATI so UT2004 renders properly would not be any hassle, but does anyone at NVIDIA listen?

Come on, make 6 TMU's, then UT2004 can be on the way to look just as good as its directx counterpart. The game already will have RTT support due to the recently added frame_buffer_object extension in the driver since Ryan Gordon says so, which is great.

But please, the 4 TMU issue needs to be fixed.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux

Last edited by Spyke; 07-08-05 at 12:50 AM.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 09:35 PM   #84
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke
Adding 2 more texturing units to the multitexturing pipeline isnt a big job, since you can already address 4, addressing 6 to match ATI so UT2004 renders properly would not be any hassle, but does anyone at NVIDIA listen?

Come on, make 6 TMU's, then UT2004 can be on the way to look just as good as its directx counterpart. The game already will have RTT support due to the recently added frame_buffer_object extension in the driver since Ryan Gordon says so, which is great.

But please, the 4 TMU issue needs to be fixed.
I don't have a clue how easy/difficult the job would be do this, but I would certainly like to see ut2004 look as good under my 6800U as it does using the ATI card on my kids system.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote