Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-05, 10:21 PM   #13
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

Default Re: It's hard to believe...

I'm not feeling the least bit obsolete with my trusty old 6800GT. This card has plenty of life in her yet.

I recently bought a LCD monitor and the difference is like night and day over a CRT. I'm never going back, period. These 40+ year old eyes of mine just won't let me. The only problem is that my max res is 1280 x 1024 and LCD's with higher res are very very expensive. This "problem" turns out to be a blessing though since at this res 90% of all games are CPU limited. To be honest even when I had a CRT capable of higher resolutions I almost never set it above 1280x1024 anyway. I actually like this resolution and see no reason to up it in the near future. For this reason I see no need to buy a new video card this gen. at least not up until CPU's improve drastically or some really intensive must have games come out that my current rig can't handle or until the prices drop dramatically.

The GPU war between Nvidia and ATI has come to the point where video cards far outclass CPU's and it will be a while before CPU's catch up. Not to mention the fact that the new consoles are coming out and it will be quite a while before even the highest spec PC can match what is coming.

Don't get me wrong, I love this hobby and it really is fun buying the latest and greatest every year or so but I just can't justify the cost of a PCIE mobo, dual core proc, $600 video card, new high res LCD, new physics processor etc etc etc. For what, to play Quake 4 at a slightly higher res???Its just plain nuts IMO.

Its time to just ride this wave for a while and I couldn't be happier doing it on a 6800GT.
Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-05, 11:25 PM   #14
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Heh, I just bought a 6800GTO a few weeks ago, and already the 7x00 series is out. Boy, they weren't kidding when they said that technology really does seem to get outdated the day after you get it!

Oh well, I'm happy with my card anyway. At least I still have enough food to eat this month
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 01:17 AM   #15
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Oh well, I'm happy with my card anyway. At least I still have enough food to eat this month
But, so does jAkUp. Top Ramen is hella cheap
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 11:01 AM   #16
bonchez

Send a message via AIM to bonchez

Viva la Geforce 6 series!!!!
bonchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 03:05 PM   #17
Kojiro

I would skip odd numbers with nvidia. I mean the Geforce 2 was so good that they still sell them even today. Where can you find geforce 3's , ebay and probably no where else. Geforce 4 MX has not gone away either. FX series well the high end cards are legacy but the buget cards still have life in them, though since it's odd number it did not fair too well against ATI. Geforce 6 series is a great triumph again for nvidia. The 6 series will live on and probably totaly replace the Geforce 4 series in the future. Geforce 7 is odd number, so I will just be somthing that only a niche group of uber geeks will buy. I'll wait for 8 series

ATI is a bit different. They don't ever flop, but they totally dominate on Odd numbered series. Yet they still sell a lot on even numbered ones as well, but since nvidia's even numbered cards are so good, they have more feirce competition.
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 05:45 PM   #18
bonchez

Send a message via AIM to bonchez

Good point, I must say that the Geforce 4 Ti cards are considered by many to be better then the FX series. I can still see myself getting a 7800 (probably a GT when they come out) when I start on my new computer.
bonchez is offline   Reply With Quote