Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-05, 09:11 PM   #1
zildjian26

Default PCI-E 6600GT corrupted, green dotted vertical lines, no drivers = fine, PLEASE HELP!

I've spent hours scouring the 'net to find a solution to this, and I've come up with nothing. Hopefully someone here can give me some insight.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Pro SP2.

I had an MSI 6600GT 128MB PCI-E. The card started acting up a couple weeks ago. I cracked the case to check it, and saw the fan was bad. I ordered a Zalman cooler, slapped it on, and it ran fine for a few days. One night I was experimenting with overclocking it. While playing (I forget what game it was) my PC reset iteself, and when it got back into Windows, the entire screen was corrupted with green dotted vertical lines, overlayed on the desktop/icons/etc. You could see through the corruption, though; the icons and everything were visible, but obviously distorted. If you opened a window, or moved a window, or clicked the Start menu, or did anything to change the appearance of an object on the screen, the section of corrupted layer of lines over the object being moved increased in intensity, and almost completely blurred out the object.

So, I chalked it up to 1) the fan dying and overheating the card, and 2) me trying to overclock it afterwards. Just for good measure I took the card into work and put it in a custom built Intel 915 board based PC, and it did the same thing. I RMA'd the card to MSI, and have yet to get the replacement back. Tonight I took a ride to Best Buy and got a shiny new BFG 6600GT OC 128MB PCI-E (along with Battlefield 2 and an MX518, damn impulse purchases!). Came home, installed the card, loaded latest nVidia driver (77.72), installed BF2, launched the game, played for a couple minutes, and BANG - PC reset itself. Got back into Windows and guess what the screen looks like? Green vertical lines corrupting the entire image.

To make things even more complicated, the problem only exists when the nVidia drivers are installed. If I remove the drivers and reboot, and windows detects the card as a "generic VGA controller" or whatever, the image is fine, albeit in 800x600 16bit color.

I'm at my wits end here. I was sure that the MSI card was fried, but I find it hard to believe that the BFG if fried also, although I suppose it is theoretically possible. Maybe it's the PCI-E slot or motherboard or PSU in my PC that's doing it. I found another thread on the forum here about video corruption that was related to the 7xxx drivers, so I installed several other older drivers, including 66.93 that came with the BFG card, all with the same result.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME?!?!?!?!

Thanks,
Rob
zildjian26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 10:07 PM   #2
subbo

Default Re: PCI-E 6600GT corrupted, green dotted vertical lines, no drivers = fine, PLEASE HELP!

A similar thing happened to my friends GF4 Ti4200 back in the day. The fan broke and overheated the card.

So one day he was playing like usual, got visual errors, he kept playing, all the characters in the game turned pixely, then black, then the world went black, then the pc rebooted and his card was dead.

It will only give a clean and normal picture without the driver, which means everything is drawn in software by the CPU and is extremely slow. Install the driver and you get purple and green lines across the screen every other boot, or windows will report it as "could not start".
A64 3200+, MSI NX6800GT, Asus K8V SE D, *NEW* 2GB DDR400 (BF2 likey), 200GB WD Caviar, Nexus 4090 400W silent, ATC220B, Zalman Reserator 1, Innovatek CoolMatic NV40, NEC 3500AG, CM AerogateII black, Smart Drive 2002C | 20,1" 15ms TFT 1600x1200 Formac Gallery 2010 | Temps: idle CPU 45c GPU 55c, 1h+ gaming CPU 55c GPU 67c
subbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 02:48 AM   #3
Gentle

Default Re: PCI-E 6600GT corrupted, green dotted vertical lines, no drivers = fine, PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian26
I've spent hours scouring the 'net to find a solution to this, and I've come up with nothing. Hopefully someone here can give me some insight.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Pro SP2.
Open the computer case and look at the power supply sticker.

List the specifications of the power supply.

Wattage...
+12v, +5v, +3.3v, the negative ones and the amperages for each of these.

Gentle
Gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 03:20 AM   #4
Danhill
I hate the Cold

Well I had the same problem with my Gainward 6800GT, it turned out it was a defective card, I replaced it with a 6600 ad the problem went away.

Sorry to say it but I think its you card man.
Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, CPU: AMD 64 3200+ (Venice) @ 2,4Ghz Mem: 2 x 512 DDR 466, Vga: 2 x Club 3D 6600 GT in SLI, Hdd1: WD Raptor Hdd2: Maxtor Diamond Plus 9, Case: Antec Plus View 1080, Psu: ThermalTake PurePower 500W, MX 1000, Dell 2001 FP, Aud. 2 SZ
Danhill is offline   Reply With Quote