Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-02, 08:29 AM   #1
geovah

Default Linux, nVidia and openAL

Hi,
I want to buy a new motherboard.
When i see the nForce2 , i said " yeah i want it".

Some times after, new driver for windows and "new openAL driver (for windows)". So i said "Yeah, i will play UT2003 with 3D sound/graphics in hardware, not software".

Today, i saw the changelog for the new nforce linux driver. But "noooohhhh, no driver openAL for linux".

My question is : do you think that nvidia provide an openAL driver for linux ? It's the only thing which miss to linux (3D sound device accelerated).

More over, the openAL driver for windows provide extension ? I see nothing about it.
Where is the documentation about the openAL driver ?
geovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-02, 05:52 PM   #2
Chalnoth

Well, so far nVidia's been...minimal...about their Linux support for the nForce platform. Hopefully this will change before too long.

But, regardless, UT and UT2k3 seem to work fine with "ALAudio" now, on nVidia's latest drivers (Don't need to resort to the alsa drivers anymore...). I really don't know if they're using hardware acceleration or not...
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 06:28 PM   #3
Forge
X to the 64th power

The nvaudio driver doesn't provide any OpenAL support, and likely never will. Write Nvidia and ask nicely for real driver support for the 3D sound accelerator with 5.1 and SPDIF you bought, not the POS 2D 2.0 non-SPDIF you got.
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 08:16 PM   #4
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Forge
The nvaudio driver doesn't provide any OpenAL support, and likely never will. Write Nvidia and ask nicely for real driver support for the 3D sound accelerator with 5.1 and SPDIF you bought, not the POS 2D 2.0 non-SPDIF you got.
But doesn't the ALAudio driver for UT/UT2k3 use OpenAL? It works fine now with the 0248 drivers (didn't work previously with anything but ALSA's drivers).
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 03:28 AM   #5
Forge
X to the 64th power

Yeah, that's software audio, which is all you're likely to ever get in Linux. Nvidia is not currently providing a driver that does ANYTHING in hardware, aside from providing a basic audio output (WAV, 16bit, 44.1 or 48KHz, non-accelerated).

Nvidia CAN write a driver that does tons better. Allowing digital output would be a big improvement that wouldn't be hard to do, but NV has no interest at the moment. They need to know we care! Write them and beg nicely for more Linux audio support! They'll probably reply that their Dolby Digital license doesn't apply, but that's BS, and there's a LOT they can do without DD output! Hardware 3D sound through OpenAL would be nice....
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 07:01 AM   #6
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

It amazes me how hardware manufacterers can come up with some BS excuse not to do something properly.....

And as with the DD license, I would think that it would come with the purchase of the board..

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote