Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-05, 12:08 PM   #1
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Default Im joining the ranks

Yesterday the front desk sec. downloaded a virus. I over heard her talking to the boss about what to do so I offered my help. It turned out to be a pretty nasty bug. Additionally, I ran adaware and found the computer to be riddled with all kinds of trash.

When the boss came in I suggested that the best thing to do would be to do a complete reformat since there was an ungodly amount of junk on the system. After thinking about it for a minute he told me to just take the thing cuz he wanted to buy a new computer for the front desk anyways. SWEET.

Its a PIII 500mhz, 96mb ram, 8mb Video Card, 20gb Hard Disk...pretty old, but still capable of doing some stuff...ftp server maybe. Anyways, I got it home and cleaned it out and decided that this was a perfect opportunity to give linux a try.

Ive played around with some of the bootable distros...knoppix comes to mind, but never fully installed linux. Right now im just about finished with ubuntu's installation process and I must say that I am very excited about this whole linux adventure.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 12:56 PM   #2
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Default Re: Im joining the ranks

well, im posting this from a brand new install of ubuntu linux. i have to say this is very very cool looking. and surprisingly very fast on this old system. i think this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-05, 11:57 PM   #3
oldsk00l

That's one thing about some Linux distros, it does breath some life into older hardware.
Old 06-30-05, 10:38 PM   #4
myshkinbob

yeah linux can breathe new life into redundant hardware. I have my very first pc, a K6-2 300mhz with 200MB of pc66, running as a router / internet host with it's pci slots filled with network cards.

Thanks to Iptables it has the most configurable firewall, it routes traffic, it runs the local mysql database server, a rather spiffy Squid transparent-http proxy for all clients without desktop config required, a secure internet present email server, another server for pop3/imap access, a very large windows network drive using Samba, the same drive rooted to an (s)ftp server, and also runs Mldonkey for http/bittorrent/ed2k/fasttrack/directconnect transfers. I expect i missed a few other things out too.

It runs all that on a 300mhz with only 200mb of pc66 ram, and it's not even pushing the system. Of course i run it without a gui (or monitor or mouse or keyboard or any other peripherals at all, god bless SSH). I actually set the box up over 3 years ago, and haven't had to mess with it since, aside from apt-get updates for security. The distro is debian btw, an excellent server distro.

I also boot my desktop pc with debian pure64 sid/experimental, but debian is hard work as a desktop, you either use older well tested program versions, or using the testing versions of debian and help work out bugs in the latest and greatest program versions.
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote