Windows NT4 0 0%
Windows 2000 14 11.57%
WinXP 66 54.55%
Linix/Unix 12 9.92%
Other 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-02, 09:13 PM   #25
retsam

the first commodor "vic 20 or 64 or 128"heheh it had a built in basic compiler and 16 colors and the most game ive ever had on a system. i had 100's of games and there were soooo many origanal games. not like today were all the games follow in the same footsteps as before. it was soooo much fun never worried about boot problems. it even just turned on!!!! gawd i miss that feature !!!!!!!!! all with 64 k or ram hehehe something xp cant doo with all the memory in the world
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 09:17 PM   #26
retsam

eat that microcrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-02, 09:52 AM   #27
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by retsam
the first commodor "vic 20 or 64 or 128"heheh it had a built in basic compiler and 16 colors and the most game ive ever had on a system. i had 100's of games and there were soooo many origanal games. not like today were all the games follow in the same footsteps as before. it was soooo much fun never worried about boot problems. it even just turned on!!!! gawd i miss that feature !!!!!!!!! all with 64 k or ram hehehe something xp cant doo with all the memory in the world
The Commodore was a system where blue screens were a good thing.

I loved my C64. I, too, had lots of games for it. And you're right in saying most of them were original. I never got tired of any of them. And the hardware was extraordinarily reliable, we never had to replace any essential parts except for my Epyx 500XJ joystick.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 10:08 AM   #28
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

ULTIMA I-III on the C64 BABY!!!
Old 07-30-02, 02:45 PM   #29
DadGT

I voted Win2K because its just an overall good comprise between NT4 (great stability and solid but bad support) and XP (good stabilty but bloated.) Win95 holds a special place as Win moved from the dreaded Program Manager. I have used other OSes, but something about the NT kernel, software support and hardware support makes it my favorite.

Not to say any of them are close to perfect...
DadGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 05:10 PM   #30
retsam

heheh its sooo funny its been what ..18 years since getting my first commodor. it just powered on no boot times no config.sys or boot.ini it just turned on!!!!! and why are all the new games the same!!!! what the hell happened in the laast 18 years werent we supposed to have hal in every house by now!!!!

rets
Old 07-30-02, 08:33 PM   #31
Kevin

Default Re: Favorite OS of all time.

I used to run Windows of various flavors, until they hit ME. I stopped at Win98SE, and stayed there for quite some time, as it was the LAST iteration of Windows with any sort of DOS that would at least RUN some of the old DOS apps that a lot of teachers are still running. (Cheap schoolboards won't even hire somebody to re-write the codebase for them . )

But then I discovered Linux. Mandrake 7.1 was my first Linux that I REALLY liked a lot, and even though it was rough in spots, it kept chugging along, and hardware detection got MUCH better, and other things kept arriving. It was like Christmas, and the best part was, it was practically FREE! So I ran both Win98SE and Linux, and on and off one or the other would be 'in favor'. The upgrade to 8.2 and the latest Office Killer App from Sun, namely StarOffice 6.0, and the new release of KDE, have rung the bells for Win98. I have relegated it to a 30g drive, and Linux inhabits the 40. I regularly use Linux in combination with StarOffice to compose all of my office paperwork, and I also use SO 6.0 for EVERYTHING else, as it comes with all the goodies in Office, and then some.

So I guess you could say I am a Linux convert. Windows is still on the other drive, but mainly as a way of running some of the games I play in Windows. But that may soon change, as new games coming out seem to be in three flavors, instead of the old WinXXX and/or Mac OS. Linux is sliding up the chart. Why not go whole hog, you say, and run the Windows stuff under Linux? Why?, I say. Windows 98SE works well for me, and I will keep it running for a while yet. After it finally dies a good death, I will simply allocate the space freed to Linux version Whatever is Current, and probably won't look back.

Both OS lines have good features. Windows is going in a direction where all the work is done by the programmer, and as long as you have somewhat current hardware, you can keep running it. But there's the rub. You upgrade your OS, you upgrade hardware, it all costs money. Linux, OTOH, lets you upgrade your version for a lot less than Bill Gates ever lets you do it for! So you get to plow a lot more money into your hardware, and still have a bit left to buy that new book you've been eyeing. . I guess I'm getting frugal in my old age. . But after going thru dialysis and a transplant, I have found that frugal is a Good Thing. Enough about that. Lest some accuse me of singing praises to convert others, I can only say that this is personal testimony. No guarantees apply, and none need apply! . Others may not achieve the same mileage, due to other factors affecting performance of products mentioned here. (Huge smile, , nudge, nudge, , . If any take offense, I cannot offer apology, as I am sure I cannot understand your umbrage. Suffice it to say that everyone has their reasons for running what they run, and what it runs on. Infinite Life, Infinite Diversity.

L.L.A.P.
Old 07-31-02, 02:16 AM   #32
VeritechK7
Just lurking

Send a message via ICQ to VeritechK7 Send a message via AIM to VeritechK7 Send a message via Yahoo to VeritechK7

I'd say win2k because it revolutionized the NT world w/ plug and play and multimedia functionality. I still recommend it to friends and others looking for a fast and stable operating platform and stil has good application compatibility

"When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming"- Bruce Lee
VeritechK7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-02, 01:27 PM   #33
de><ta
prodigy

then why on earth do i get so many memory dumps every time i use win2k???

It is a lot better than nt and i agree it is great for networking, but nah it aint as good a folks feel it is.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 06:00 AM   #34
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

I really like Win2k because it was a plug and play version of WinNT. I like it's stability, and was VERY excited when it came out and used it for very long time, even after WinXP came out. To date the only reason I switched to WinXP was it handled my USB devices better for some reason (me shrugs)

I noticded nobody voted for Win95B, and I wanna mention that is still a VERY important OS. Not only do we all use the win95 gui still, but I make sure I always have access to a Win95B partition. I like using VirtualPC for this, 95 is great for bootdisks, diagnostics, older games, it's just a good thing to keep around. I also like to use Win95B on older laptops that don't have much speed or memory. 95 can still run the same basic programs as WinXP, and it's requirements are very little (32ram flys with it, 64 is killer fast). Lest we forget our dare Win95B. Now Win95 original... BLEH!
Old 08-02-02, 11:41 AM   #35
VeritechK7
Just lurking

Send a message via ICQ to VeritechK7 Send a message via AIM to VeritechK7 Send a message via Yahoo to VeritechK7

yeah i tend to like 95B myself ..it was quite responsive and quite stable really.

"When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming"- Bruce Lee
VeritechK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 07:00 PM   #36
Kevin

Thumbs up Favorite OS or Machine Architecture?

I remember quite often sitting down at the keyboard of an old TI-994(a), and running TI EXTENDED BASIC, and programming sprites, 3D wire-frame sprites and only fixed sprites were allowed fill patterns in solids, but MAN were those games ever FAST!!!! At least when you consider it's MAN vs MACHINE, and the Machine was running at almost 1.5Mhz! Shoot, the first 386 machines only ran at 30MHz or so, and they were considered fast at first! Now, 2.0GHz machines, and still clocking faster and faster! What frequency in general does a human operate at, anyway? Quite obviously, when you look at the fact that 32fps is enough to make the human mind think it's unbroken sequences, we are pretty slow compared to a Machine running at multi-giga-hertz frequencies!

Also, when a lot of people complain about boot times, they forget that an old Commodore 64 was booting off of an ROM module that contained the whole bootstrap code base to make the machine wake up and read and write to a disk drive, a display, and a whole hockey-sock full of other stuff! Today, you boot a machine that loads and runs megabytes of code modules JUST to get the machine ready to take the OS into some segments of memory, and then load and offload other segments, while still running all the load of talking to the hardware, let ALONE running any software along with the OS!! So when you compare boot times between the machines, it's really a total wonder that today's machines can even BOOT in the space of time they take, let alone read and execute megabyte upon megabyte of code to get the machine talking in a GUI interface!!!

When you come right down to it, today, a machine really takes no more time to boot than a machine from twenty years back, considering the complexity of the task you are asking your machine to perform. They've only gone from 1.5MHz to 2.0GHz in clock speeds, and they are loading THOUSANDS of times more code than the old slow-pokes were ever even concieved of loading! I remember Wycove FORTH for the TI-994(a), and it came on a single density floppy that was barely filled with all the Assembler code for the full FORTH, along with the assembled FORTH itself, and that file was only 8Kilobytes. it included support to program in the Graphics Programming Language (GPL) that ran on the 994(a). The TI EXTENDED BASIC module you plugged into the extension port contained over 100Kilobytes of assembler code, by itself! I remember writing a version of Centipede, an old ATARI game, in FORTH on the 994(a). It took less than 4K of code to get the GPL graphic hooks written, and the assembler routines that made calls to the metal of the machine. That was all in a High Level Language. Or would FORTH be considered a L.L.L? Not many would care today, with Gigabytes of RAM, and getting into almost TeraByte (when you consider RAID arrays and such) sized storage devices! This is progress. More of everything to do more of what you want to do with your computer.

Infinite Life, Infinite Diversity.

L.L.A.P.