WinXP 66 54.55%
Linix/Unix 12 9.92%
Other 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-02, 07:57 AM   #49
mr_oh_so_ice

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

Jesus christ, have you ever installed a win2k service pack in your life??!? All those issues were eradicated in sp1!

nt4... , for an os intended for low-end machines, you sure want a lot from it. And fat32? Gimme a break, what a POS as far as filesystems go.

And osx is unix... the way to go.
I knew my rant would set someone off.

Yes I have installed NT Service Packs before, in fact I have 2000 installed, however even with SP3 some of my programs still don't work and probably never will. As far as SP1 ERADICATING all of those issues, thats BS. If SP1 did ERADICATE all of those errors there would be no reason for SP2 or SP3. In fact SP3 still introduces some new application patches.

NT4 was not intended for low end machines it was designed for business computing on high end machines. I wanted FAT32 support which alot of people wanted back then so they could dual with 98. There is nothing wrong with the FAT32 filesystem, its fast and gets the job done, NTFS kept things secure for business users who need encryption, and recovery options. Go ahead and use NTFS on your gaming rig after all those gaming applications are quite mission critical aren't they?

MacOSX is pretty good, but in the PC world forget it, I just threw it in for the hell of it, plus I didn't mention anything bad about it except the fact that some people don't like apples.

Oh yeah OS/2 I used to use Warp version 3.0, in fact I still have my copy. Strong multitasking that beat the crap out of NT back then. Too bad it wasn't supported, that OS could even run DOS games with FULL SOUND and FULL SPEED something XP can't fully do yet.

Last edited by mr_oh_so_ice; 09-04-02 at 08:00 AM.
mr_oh_so_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 05:56 PM   #50
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

OS X baby!

I love my PC, but for chrissakes, I installed OS X on my ibook about a year ago and the OS has YET to crash (of course, that says nothing about 3rd party software. Apple software = works great, 3rd party = needs some work sometimes).

OS X 10.2 just made things even sweeter.....

XP's okay too, I guess....I'm using Win2k on my PC though.....
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 06:02 PM   #51
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_oh_so_ice

As far as SP1 ERADICATING all of those issues, thats BS. If SP1 did ERADICATE all of those errors there would be no reason for SP2 or SP3. In fact SP3 still introduces some new application patches.

NT4 was not intended for low end machines

Go ahead and use NTFS on your gaming rig after all those gaming applications are quite mission critical aren't they?

MacOSX is pretty good, but in the PC world forget it, I just threw it in for the hell of it, plus I didn't mention anything bad about it except the fact that some people don't like apples.

Oh yeah OS/2 I used to use Warp version 3.0, in fact I still have my copy. Strong multitasking that beat the crap out of NT back then. Too bad it wasn't supported, that OS could even run DOS games with FULL SOUND and FULL SPEED something XP can't fully do yet.
I don't know. Don't expect old dos games / progs to work. I have never had any problems with compatibility, then again most of my progs are fairly recent.

God dammit, i dont give a crap about games. It's other data that's important, (WIP school stuff, vids, 3dsmax scenes, music, and, uh, jpegs of, erm.... exotic locations, yeah, that's it.

Xp is crap! whaddaya expect? Maybe you can run REAL dos in VMware? Just a thought!

Edit, I had written "xp is crap?"

That was supposed to be an exclamation, and NOT a question. It's a verifiable fact.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 08:30 PM   #52
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
...jpegs of, erm.... exotic locations, yeah, that's it.
LOL, you sure you don't mean erotic locations?

Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 08:37 PM   #53
mr_oh_so_ice

Yeah lets not get into too much of a flame war. My real problem with MS is that they really don't have a super version of Windows yet that can do it all. But you can't blame MS since the evolution of PC operating systems has evolved from 16-bit DOS to Protected Mode DOS to 16-bit GUI Windows to 16/32-bit Win9x code and full 32-bit NT code. I mean thats a lot of code and stuff to support, but the simple fact is that some people need it. Some people out there still use MS-DOS based programs. 16-bit Windows applications are out there too, I still use Encarta 1995 edition and MS Bookshelf for some writing projects, both are 16-bit Windows applications from the Win3.1 era. Each revision of a Windows OS has a few features which are lacking in another version plain and simple.

If you use all new PC applications or are a recent computer user and just started to get into computing a few years ago all of your stuff will run fine on Windows XP, and probably 2000 as well.

I really want to try Mac OSX it looks impressive.

Last edited by mr_oh_so_ice; 09-04-02 at 08:39 PM.
mr_oh_so_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 08:54 PM   #54
The Baron

There's an x86 version of OSX that Apple's been making... codenamed "Marklar."

Gotta love South Park.
Old 09-06-02, 03:21 AM   #55
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Win 2000 is the favourite at the moment due to stability, but I'm mostly using Win 98 due to games compatibility. Also, my win 98 se runs fine most of the time. That said when something crashes you can be in trouble. Also use Opera mostly for browsing apart from some annoying sites on which it doesn't work.

I'm still surprised by how fast win 95b is. Crap usb support though which made me move to win 98se.

Don't know enough about unix, though some day plan to give linux a go.

My main concern with XP is the likes of DRM. I want to be able to make compilations from cds I OWN and play my mp3s and encode my own music. I also want to be able to watch movies that I want to watch and not have the information logged.
Old 09-06-02, 03:54 AM   #56
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

"WinXP sucks, crap interface, bloated middleware, activation, unstable, POS."

I like the interface.
It uses less than 64mb ram plus I have 768mb of ram.
Activation is automatic and I don't need to do crap all.
I never had a crash, unless I overclocked my G3's clock to 300mhz or memory to 601.4mhz and ran anything other than 3dmark.

Old 09-06-02, 04:36 AM   #57
StealthHawk

IMHO if you turn off all the boatware features that run in the background every single version of Windows will run well. 98 should easily be as fast as 95, and more stable to boot.

XP is also totally fine...if you turn off all the extra garbage. even if you don't it's as stable as 2000, and given XP's superior compatibility, XP really deserves the nod.

if MS didn't bloat up its software, what reason would normal people have to ever upgrade their computers? MS is doing us a favor in a way
Old 09-08-02, 02:18 PM   #58
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

I like XP. Competely stable for me, and with a high amount of RAM, runs great. I like the interface and the look, and you can change it back if you don't. Activation is not an issue.
Old 09-08-02, 03:20 PM   #59
netviper13
Treehugger

XP was on OK experience for me, but I just feel so much better with Win2k. Even with all the eye candy turned off and with my 512mb of DDR RAM, 2k feels and runs much faster than XP. My benchmarks show this too.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 05:53 PM   #60
Bearclaw

Default Re: Favorite OS of all-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust
What difference does it make how bloated a piece of software is anyway? Memory is so cheap these days, I really don't see how that comes into play. I like Windows XP quite a bit. I think Microsoft's OS's keep getting better with each release.
FAILCLAW