Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-05, 12:28 AM   #1
aaronb

Default Cannot run nvidia-settings

Warning: I'm quite a newbie when it comes to Linux

I'm running Knoppmyth and I installed the nvidia drivers (7174) to get the tv-out on my GF FX5200 working. The drivers seemed to install without any problems, the tv-out works fine, and X starts just fine. I tried to run nvidia-settings to tweak some of the tv-out settings, but I get "Command not found". After searching on the Knoppmyth forum I ran this command to look for nvidia-settings, and it was not found

Quote:
root@mythtv:~# ls -al /usr/local/bin/nvidia-settings
ls: /usr/local/bin/nvidia-settings: No such file or directory
Is there any reason why nvidia-settings would not have been installed along with the drivers, and is there a log I can check to see if there were any errors? Also, would just running the install script again muck anything up? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 05:33 AM   #2
Fuddl

Default Re: Cannot run nvidia-settings

on my box, nvidia-settings got installed to /usr/bin, probably you'll find nvidia-settings in that location. the installer writes a logfile to /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
Fuddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 09:53 AM   #3
spindles

I do not have nvidia-settings on my Suse box either. I suspect that is because Suse does not want it: the installation log ends with the message to use sax2 to enable the new nvidia card.
By the way, I think you are very lucky, because you say your tv-out works fine. I just cannot find a mode that works for mine.
spindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 05:36 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings is always installed with the official nvidia driver. If you're missing it after installing the official nvidia driver, then your installation is incomplete and you should re-install (preferably 1.0-7667) and check the install log in /var/log for errors.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote