Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-17-05, 10:20 AM   #1
wizdom

Default 2D performance SUCKS!

I know people keep coming back to it, but it's incredibly obvious that 2D performance from the "nvidia" driver versus the "nv" driver is significantly inferior. For testing purposes, I'm running the x86-64 driver on a 64bit X server.

Just load FireFox or Konqueror and put it on a relatively heavy page (say Slashdot), then switch between windows. Watch the blocks redraw under the "nvidia" driver, and the "nv" driver smoothly respond to the same load.

I don't know if it's compiler optimisations, or the slow memcpy() noted in another thread, or limited to the 64bit drivers, but PLEASE fix it!

I don't see why the NVIDIA drivers should have such good 3D performance and overlay performance and quality, but have such lame 2D performance.

Please have somebody look at this!
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 12:04 PM   #2
gram_vaz
Cybersix

Default Re: 2D performance SUCKS!

nvidia gpu drivers are extremely buggy for many in linux. even i can't get mine installed without it killing my gui. but it doesn't bug me as not like i was planning to game. gpu drivers are only needed for 3d acceleration. for 2d the defualt linux video driver are good enough.
gram_vaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 10:42 PM   #3
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Please post some real benchmark results, such as from xbench.
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-05, 08:51 AM   #4
wizdom

XBench doesn't exhaustively test 2D performance. Things like RENDER acceleration for fonts (which I believe are the real bottleneck) are completely ignored by this useless test.

The only xbench I could find (thanks for not including a URL) was from 1996. You must be on crack if you think this is a rigorous test for today's X servers.

I'd suggest you just brave reality and try what I described yourself, on x86-64. I'll be surprised if you can't see the extremely obvious difference in performance.
Old 07-24-05, 08:21 AM   #5
metamatics
Free Software Zealot

If you want decent 2D perormace you have to be sure that the agpgart modules is loaded and "RenderAccel" option is enabled.
If you are able to do this and your system is stable you'll probably get a decent performance, i can't do it because if i enable render accel the x server crashes as soon as i start firefox.
Good luck...
metamatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 08:52 AM   #6
arokh

2D is blazingly fast and snappy here. No problems switching between tabs/windows in Firefox.
Old 07-24-05, 10:41 AM   #7
wizdom

RenderAccel is on and works here. The Composite stuff is fully disabled. I use kernel agpgart and the nvidia driver uses it (why would agpgart affect 2D; answer, it wouldn't).

Sorry guys, but the problem exists.

arokh are you using an x86-64 kernel with the x86-64 driver?
Old 07-24-05, 10:45 AM   #8
wizdom

Also metamatics, unless NVIDIA have fixed this, make sure you don't have:

Option "SWcursor"

Or

Option "HWcursor" "0"

It will break RenderAccel (I had this annoying problem for years until I realised what the problem was). I suggest you use my options here, see if it helps.

Option "NvAGP" "2"
Option "DigitalVibrance" "48"
Option "CoolBits" "3"
Option "RenderAccel"
Option "HWcursor"

Old 07-24-05, 01:02 PM   #9
LinuxRocks

I know the problem you are refering too as it happens on X86_32 as well. But it only seems to affect Mozilla software (Firefox and Thunderbird). However, On my kids Windows XP machines (Same Video card, but a slightly slower processor: nVidia 6800 ultra's, but my machines is an AMD64 3400 and theirs is an AMD 3000+) they get the same slow redraw in Firefox.

Another test is to open konqueror (KDE) and place that window over firefox and move it vigorously. You can see major redraws trying to catch up. However, do the same in XP with My Computer and its the same.

Its not the nvidia driver I dont think, I think its just GTK. If I have equily intensive web apps open in konqueror, I dont have the same problem moving other windows on top or even resizing.

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 02:21 PM   #10
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Did you try using driver 1.0.6111? This was the last one with proper AA font acceleration. I still use this driver as Nvidia doesn't seem to be able to fix this properly. All later drivers render AA fonts very slow, which could explain some of the observations made.
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 02:31 PM   #11
LinuxRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrakashP
Did you try using driver 1.0.6111? This was the last one with proper AA font acceleration. I still use this driver as Nvidia doesn't seem to be able to fix this properly. All later drivers render AA fonts very slow, which could explain some of the observations made.
Well, for me, this latest driver works the best. I still get noticable redraw, but not nearly as bad as I used to get with previous drivers. Plus, the latest driver offers me the best in gaming performance, so I really don't mind a little redraw on the desktop. Besides, its not like I vigorusly move my windows over each other on a daily basis

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-05, 02:40 PM   #12
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Well, for me its the other side: I'm working most of the time in 2d (and yes, coding in kdevelop feels very sluggish with newer drivers), so I don't care too much, if D3 or alike get a few fps more... (If I want to make a longer gamin session and desperately need more fps, it is not hard in gentoo to temp install another driver...or I would try to install both and write a script to switch them in an easy way.)
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote