Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-20-05, 01:04 AM   #1
Stargazer_1

Default Fedora Core 4/kanotix/mandrake

I am so disappointed in NVidia! I downloaded the newest drivers for linux so I could get the best out of my video card, GeForce 4000 MX.

At first I was running kanotix HD install. I could not get the install program to work at all! when I exited the x windows, or even booted strait to root, it insisted I was in xdm. SO, for this, I figured on getting a more popular brand. HA! first I got Mandrake, to no avail. I then got Fedora Core 4. I have spent 3 DAYS of constant trials and tribulations to try to get it to work. Finally, I had to move my entire includes directory so the program to be happy, and it came back to me with my core was configured for something that is incompatible with the driver. Why must you put out a driver that is SO difficult to even get it to say it's incompatible? ALSO, why didn't you guys put that incompatibility on the page the driver is offered?

I am so upset right now I could scream!
Stargazer_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-05, 08:22 AM   #2
arokh

Default Re: Fedora Core 4/kanotix/mandrake

It's not nvidia's fault that you don't know up from down in a Linux environment. The nvidia installer works fine under Fedora Core 4, I don't know how you managed to not install it.
Old 07-21-05, 12:26 PM   #3
korgull

I guess missing some development packages cause it not to be able to install.

But why not using RPMS for FC4 ?
For FC4 there are RPMS available through yum via livna and via atrpms.net repositories.
korgull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-05, 04:25 PM   #4
Compholio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer_1
I then got Fedora Core 4. I have spent 3 DAYS of constant trials and tribulations to try to get it to work.
Fedora Core 4 must have kernel-devel installed, that is all - the driver will figure out the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer_1
Finally, I had to move my entire includes directory so the program to be happy, and it came back to me with my core was configured for something that is incompatible with the driver.
Fedora Core 4 is not incompatible with the driver, it likely told you that you had a framebuffer module installed (but not loaded) that is incompatible with the driver. This is a warning, not a fatal error.

This issues are all listed somewhere in this forum, and there are plenty of HOWTOs out there for Fedora Core. Before you blame NVIDIA for these things you should read up on what you're supposed to do.
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 01:44 PM   #5
acidrain73

Cool Re: Fedora Core 4/kanotix/mandrake

[b][color=Lime] I have installed the nvidia drivers without trouble -- Running fedora core 4 with kernel 2.6.12-1-1390 -- drivers loaded great out of the box -- I do however have a small glitch with glscreensavers that have a small lag -- My games like Unreal2004 -- SOF -- Civilization -- do not experience the same lag -- just glscreensavers. I am working on it, so If I find the fix I will post it. I have to say that nvidia drivers have proven to work great across several platforms that I run-- to include all versions of fedora from inception as well as slackware and suse. I have had way better results with nvidia than ATI so I may be a little bias. Nvidia rocks as far as I am concerned.
acidrain73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 04:47 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Stargazer_1,
If you're experiencing difficulty installing the nvidia driver, please post your driver install log from /var/log. Without that log, we can only guess on the problem(s) you're experiencing.

I can say that there are no known problems installing the 1.0-7667 driver on FC4, once you have the kernel-devel RPM installed.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-05, 02:56 PM   #7
N1ck

While running Fedora Core 4, so to install the display drivers from nvidia.com, before loading the X server, I go into a terminal logged in as root....

I type "init 3"

Before running the installer...

Isn't it necessary to remove the display driver module, the one that is usually loaded when the X environment is started, using rmmod or modprobe? Or will the nvidia installer overwrite (therefore updating) the binaries that define the display module that has not been loaded (Assuming it has not been loaded because you have not started the X server)?
N1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 11:28 AM   #8
ZeroKun

I'm running Kanotix X right now, I didn't have any problems installed the Nvidia drivers, and I have the same card.
ZeroKun is offline   Reply With Quote