Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-02, 06:05 AM   #1
mrtom

Default 4191 GLUT + modules.conf problems

I have two separate problems with the new drivers.

Most annoyingly, the nvidia module does not load automatically on boot. This has always worked fine before, and works when I revert back to the older drivers. When 4191 is installed I have the following in my modules.conf

alias char-major-195 nvidia

This is the same as how the old drivers use it except obviously the driver name is NVdriver. I don't even know how to start looking for problems here. Does anyone have a link on how modules.conf actually works? I mean what makes the system know it should load the module 'nvidia'? I know I can just add an insmod somewhere in my boot, but I'd like to know how to do it properly

My other problem is with GLUT. After installing 4191 some apps, like celestia and billards-gl failed with a 'GLXBadRenderRequest'. The apps are linked to libGLU.so.1 which on my system is from a package named xlibmesa3. The same package and apps work fine with the older drivers though.

So I'm having to use 3123 at the moment, which seems a little slower (the new 2D work seems to go quite well on mine).
mrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 02:38 PM   #2
rnf

Quote:
alias char-major-195 nvidia

This is the same as how the old drivers use it except obviously the driver name is NVdriver. I don't even know how to start looking for problems here. Does anyone have a link on how modules.conf actually works? I mean what makes the system know it should load the module 'nvidia'? I know I can just add an insmod somewhere in my boot, but I'd like to know how to do it properly
When the user-space app opens /dev/nvidia[0-n] and no kernel driver has registered with the major number 195 yet (the major number of character devices used by the app to communicate with the kernel driver), a kernel daemon looks in module.conf to find which file to load.

I do not know why it doesn't work for you (would need more details), but you can try to load the module at boot time by adding the line:
nvidia
to the file "/etc/modules". You might need to also add the line:
agpgart
before nvidia if you compiled the agpgart driver as a module.
rnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 03:32 PM   #3
mrtom

ah! excellent.

My agpgart is built as a module although I was trying to use the built in nvagp. I'll try again and see if I can solve it now.

Thanks!
mrtom is offline   Reply With Quote