Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-05, 10:56 AM   #1
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

Default Why has AMD cpu price doubled and mhz increase has been half?

Could somebody explain me why Amd is selling their high-end at a double price than what they used in the period of full war with Intel (athlon 1 and xp and 1st A64 times) ?

And looking the speed increase, with A64fx they have reached 2,8 ghz against the 2,2 of when they have stared 2 years ago !
only 600 Mhz in 2 years that represent just the 36% of the initial power, while in the "old" times they have jumped from 600 to 1,4 in 1 year more than 100% increase in performance and then again from 1600+ to 3200+ with athlonxp.

AMD getting the higher place of cpus performance is just acting like Intel did when was the faster cpu maker, high price and development just enought to keep other behind.

How will all this affect the GPU market?
higher cpu prices could make people wish to buy always lower priced GPU making the integrated gpu market even more important for Nvidia, Ati and Intel; about performance maybe we could see an increase in features, IQ instead of the reasearch of pure speed since many games will be cpu limited and this would also explain why Nvidia has choosen to release a new Gpu only any year instead of any 6 months like they used to do in the past.
Old 07-25-05, 10:59 AM   #2
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: Why has AMD cpu price doubled and mhz increase has been half?

Maybe you oughta ask AMD.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 11:17 AM   #3
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

It's because Intel hasn't come out with anything to make AMD really up the clocks.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 11:25 AM   #4
|MaguS|

They can up the price because poeple will still buy them... also while the mhz hasn't gone up performance still has. Unlike Intel that gets its performance by numbers, AMD gets them by actually making a good chip.
Old 07-25-05, 11:37 AM   #5
Riptide

Clock speeds aren't increasing as fast as they used to because of problems with the process now. They simply can't create, easily, 4GHz P4's or 4GHz Athlon64's and make them cheap enough for the masses to afford. There was a while there where both AMD and Intel didn't expect to have so much trouble getting to higher clocks - but engineering experience has shown that it is much more difficult than they anticipated.

In short clock speeds aren't going up quickly not because of some corporate conspiracy but due to actual engineering issues. This is partly why there is a push for dual core now - they are up against a wall on clock speeds and had to do something in order to increase performance. Hence 2 CPUs and eventually 4 CPUs or more on one chip.

Now the software needs to start catching up and take advantage of this change in approaches.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 12:05 PM   #6
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

i was thinking that maybe AGEIA could get advantage of this as Creative has got with their sounds cards.
Old 07-25-05, 12:14 PM   #7
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

another thing to remember is that while AMD physical clock speeds havent increased as much as Intel's, it is irrelevant. its the design of the chip that makes things go. amd can afford to have a lower clocked CPU because the chip is so effecient. intel chose a design that relied on faster clock speeds, that they were unaware would be impossible to obtain. i bet a Prescott 5 GHZ would be a MONSTER, but it would set your house on fire first, therefore Intel's gamble didnt quite pay off.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 12:19 PM   #8
Riptide

Clock speeds are not irrelevant.

But you're right - AMD has the more efficient design clock/clock. Their design hasn't scaled as well as the P4 w/regard to clock speed. But as you say, it doesn't really need to in order to remain competitive.

The next 4-5 years will be very interesting.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-05, 12:33 PM   #9
MrSavoy

This is an interesting topic and one that I have been thinking about for the last few months. I will be building a new rig this fall and am starting to watch the prices on the hardware I'm thinking of. That said, the prices for the high end CPU's from AMD is prolly at an all time high. I mean an FX 57 for 1000 bucks? I mean yes its a beast and all but jesus, same for the dual core x2 4800 nice cpu but a ton of money. Seems like the divide between enthusists high end PC's like us here and regular joe PC users is getting bigger instead of smaller. I mean betweek a high end CPU/NF4 SLI MB/just a single 7800 GTX your looking at approx 1800 bucks. Wtf? lol Thats a little absurd imo. Doesnt mean I'm not gonna spend it though come oct/nov cause I will buy whatever is top of the line at that time. I'm already figuring I'm gonna need about 2500 bucks to build the box I want at that time.

That said this has been on my mind for a while now and I havent really seen to many people talk about it. Just seems were all getting numb to the whole thing and just merrily paying whatever the price to get high end hardware. Where does it end?
3x EVGA, GeForce GTX 470's Superclocked (TRI-SLI) / 2x WESTERN DIGITAL, 640GB WD Caviar Black (WD6401AALS) (Raid 0) / LITE-ON CD-R/CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive / SAMSUNG DVD R/RW / Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Westy 37" 1080P
MrSavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 01:19 PM   #10
TierMann
Bite my shiny, metal @ss!

It does seem like the increase has gotten smaller in Mhz, but as everyone said, they're becoming more efficient with a better design. Look at all the venice cores now that OC nicely. I was doing some shopping recently (A64 X2 4400+ coming today or tomorrow) and prices seem about the same as what they were 7 months ago (relatively.. high end vs low end). The highest FX chip is still ~$1000. And it was same a few months before that. People paid it, and they'll keep charging it.
Athlon XP 3000+ | ECS KM400M2 3.0 | 512mb DDR333 | PNY 5200 Ultra
TV-Tuner | Silver Aspire X-Qpack w/Windows | WinXP MCE 2005 | 200Gb Storage
DVD Collection -- MySpace
TierMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 01:24 PM   #11
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

MHZ is OFN

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 02:04 PM   #12
oldsk00l

AMD's clockspeed (as stated many times above) doesn't need to go up. AMD engineers the chip to do more work per clock.

And FYI, performance has DRASTICALLY gone up over the years for AMD chips......

My "old" opteron 246 server (duallies) hands my G5 it's own ass when it comes to video encoding/ripping/compiling. If you compare to similarly priced Intel CPU's they annihilate them.