Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-05, 02:10 PM   #13
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Why has AMD cpu price doubled and mhz increase has been half?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
AMD's clockspeed (as stated many times above) doesn't need to go up. AMD engineers the chip to do more work per clock.

And FYI, performance has DRASTICALLY gone up over the years for AMD chips......

My "old" opteron 246 server (duallies) hands my G5 it's own ass when it comes to video encoding/ripping/compiling. If you compare to similarly priced Intel CPU's they annihilate them.

and thats why AMD internal designs are so beautiful. i, personally, am a sucker for innovation more than raw power. AMD chips never needed to get uber-fast cause they created a chip that makes the most of the speed that its at.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 02:50 PM   #14
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
AMD's clockspeed (as stated many times above) doesn't need to go up. AMD engineers the chip to do more work per clock.
Who cares which happens as long as we get higher performance. I really don't give a crap whether it gets there by increasing clock speed or increasing efficiency. Ideally both would be good.
Quote:
If you compare to similarly priced Intel CPU's they annihilate them.
Annihilate seems like rather dramatic verbage. Can you provide some proof of "annihilation" here?

Take for example:
3500+ $249.00
P4 3.4GHz $251.00

Show me a review where the 3500+ completely wipes the floor with that 3.4GHz CPU.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 04:09 PM   #15
rohit
Awaiting WGF 2.0

i just know one thing. i made the biggest mistake by buying the prescott. (luckily there were fools who bought it off at nearly the M.R.P price, since it was intel).

AMD64 changed the way i used the comp. its not only faster, but also MUCH MUCH MUCH cooler and 70% QUIETER to intel. at stock HSF.

at this moment, i wont mind paying 300bux on amd, instead of paying 150 bux on intel. Its worth it for your piece of mind.
|Sound: RealTek Integrated. |
|P.S.U : PowerSafe 450w |
|MISC.: Logitech Cordless DUO(MX700 + Wireless Keyboard)||Lite-On DVD CD-RW Combo 52x16x52
|3dMark'05: 4893 [@ 350/1000]
rohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 04:25 PM   #16
Riptide

Newer Prescott chips don't have quite the heat problems the original ones did and some of them even overclock quite well. Do a search of this forum for "prescott heat" and you'll see what I mean. Things were bad @ first but have improved.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 04:38 PM   #17
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

well but here all who says MHZ are not important forget a little thing, amd has done some innovations yes but is a bit different than make a jump in performance like seems reading ur comments

other years there was double performance at half today prices

now we have just 30% jump + 800to1000mhz bus + other little innovations at an huge price

ok i'm an AMD fan too, Fx57 rocks but if someone would have asked me when A64 was released what cpu i would have thought to see in end of 2005 i would have said a 4 ghz cpu while right now seems that fx59 will even be out in early 2006

and hope intel come back to hit hard coz i don't want spend 1000 for the best of cpus
Old 07-25-05, 09:44 PM   #18
ViN86

this is why i overclock. my $200 cpu is performing at what some of the $600 ones are. sure prices are increasing, but spend a little more on cooling, and OC that lower end chip.

if you keep it cool and dont overvolt it, you should be fine in terms of how long it lasts.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote