Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-05, 11:05 AM   #1
superklye

Default Lame :(

My motherboard just arrived.

But just the motherboard. They shipped the CPU separately and I didn't find that out until this morning. I checked the OTHER tracking number and it got from NJ to Chicago overnight on the 28th, and then the 29th...it went to ****ing Oakland? WTF? It's been sitting there since.

It's supposed to be delivered by tomorrow at 4:30pm, but for some reason I have this feeling it's not going to happen.

Sigh. This sucks. But at least I have time to finish backing everything up now. I forgot that my 160s are PATA using the Serillel2 SATA converters and that those ONLY work with the Silicon Image SATA controller on the NF7-S. So I don't have my SATA RAID anymore and thus need to burn everything I want to save.

Plus, those drives are dying, so I need to drop another $200+ on some new SATA drives. Damn, this is turning out to be a LOT more expensive than I thought it would be. :-\
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 11:27 AM   #2
Riptide

Default Re: Lame :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
My motherboard just arrived.

But just the motherboard. They shipped the CPU separately and I didn't find that out until this morning.
Oh that sucks. Surprise surprise.
Quote:
It's supposed to be delivered by tomorrow at 4:30pm, but for some reason I have this feeling it's not going to happen.
I bet it makes it. You'd be surprised. I'm assuming you went Fedex? They are typically pretty good about making that targeted delivery date/time even if it looks like nothing has happened with it for a bit.
Quote:
Plus, those drives are dying, so I need to drop another $200+ on some new SATA drives. Damn, this is turning out to be a LOT more expensive than I thought it would be. :-\
Just my opinion but I'd forget doing RAID and get yourself a 7200rpm 320GB western dig or 300GB seagate. They can be found for as little as $150, are pretty reliable, and have decent warranties. The difference in speed vs. your RAID setup is probably pretty negligible. If you were doing RAID0 before then this (single drive setup) would actually be more reliable.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 12:18 PM   #3
superklye

I was doing RAID 0. I figured I'd grab two 250s (the Maxtor Diamond Max 10 are SATAII w/NCQ and 16MB cache) and RAID 0 them for 500GB.

There's also a PATA RAID controller built into this board (man, this thing rocks more and more), so I suppose I could try and RMA those two 160s (even though I do think it's too late) and get replacements and have those on IDE1 RAIDed. But I almost don't even want to bother with RMAs for those anymore. Those are the RMAs of an RMA of an RMA, so I don't care much for the Maxtor Diamondmax 9 line anymore.

Man, the anticipation for that CPU's arrival is KILLING me.
Old 08-01-05, 12:20 PM   #4
Riptide

The DiamondMax 9 line is junk. We've had several of their smaller capacity drives fail in the machines here at work. Not impressed at all.

Only reason I mentioned a single drive and not going RAID is mainly because it seemed like cost was a factor for you? In any case I'm sure you'll be happy with the two Maxtors though with your bad luck and hard drives I'm not sure RAID0 is a good proposition.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 12:33 PM   #5
superklye

Heh, yeah, I kinda thought about that too. And cost isn't a factor really, but kinda is. Heh, it's hard to explain.

Since I don't get health insurance as an intern at Direct Supply, we get $975/year to spend on whatever we want. Sounds great and it is, except that it's "bonus" income, so it gets taxed at like 40%. But still...it's a 60% discount.

I have tuition due in like 2 weeks, and I get paid this Friday along with the reimbursement for the CPU/mobo that I bought, but I don't think I'll have enough to front the cash for the drives now since I won't get the money back for another 2 weeks (8/19 and tuition is due 8/17) so I'll have to wait almost a month to get the drives so I can get the money back like right away. Not a big deal. My 60GB works just fine and will allow me to get some game on, all my Office stuff and the likes, plus there will be some room for any torrents that I absolutely HAVE to have.

How is the Diamondmax 10 line? I've heard good things, but I'm wary of ALL hard drives right now.
Old 08-01-05, 01:59 PM   #6
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Why not buy a Western Digital or Seagate drive? They're much better.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 02:43 PM   #7
superklye

They were more expensive, had smaller caches and no NCQ.

Plus, from what I've heard, Seagate has the higest failure rate in the industry.
Old 08-01-05, 02:51 PM   #8
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

kyle, i feel you that this upgrading thing stings sometimes. man, my changing over to PCIE has been VERY VERY annoying.

here you go...
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-05, 02:53 PM   #9
OWA

I'm happy with the DiamondMax 10 line but I was also happy with the DiamondMax 9 drives. I prefer Maxtor since they seem to be pretty quiet compared to others especially over time.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 03:30 PM   #10
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
kyle, i feel you that this upgrading thing stings sometimes. man, my changing over to PCIE has been VERY VERY annoying.

here you go...
hehe, thanks man. Yeah, this is a pain, but I know, in the end, it'll be worth it.

Man, I just cannot wait to get that CPU!
Old 08-01-05, 03:31 PM   #11
Tr1cK
not coming back

I've had 2 DiamondMax 40s 40gbs, 1 DiamonMax 9 160gb (still use), and now have 2 DiamondMax 10s 80gbs. I haven't had a problem yet. The 40s are pretty damn old and always have been used in RAID0 also. *runs and knocks on wood*

btw - why not try a PCI IDE RAID card? The only reason I went SATA is my drives have much larger cache and platter density now than the 40 series did. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a good PCI card with those 160s performed as well as the 9 series running onboard RAID (considering no NCQ).
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-05, 03:51 PM   #12
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
hehe, thanks man. Yeah, this is a pain, but I know, in the end, it'll be worth it.

Man, I just cannot wait to get that CPU!

i have new mobo on the way, and its the last thing i need to complete my sli system... and i think times moves BACKWARDS while it is in transit
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote