Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-05, 08:47 PM   #1
Phillychuck

Default Eq1

I miss it.

Been thinking of giving it another go, but looks like I'm a couple expansions behind again. They also raised the monthly price to $15.

I wonder if it was just the time of my life I played EQ that made me enjoy it so much. I've just had no luck falling into that groove with WoW and EQ2. I gave them both a few months.

Should I try EQ1 or is it futile now? I mean, the last content I played was pretty difficult (GoD/OoW, very little actually since I was tring to get elemental flags/gear).
Phillychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 08:52 PM   #2
ChrisRay

Default Re: Eq1

EQ 1 usuallty has a sympthetic value to it. I login from time to time and play it anyway. But the UI is ancient and frustrating compared to current games so expect that. IMO you're better off just getting station access and playing both EQ 1 and EQ 2.

EQ 1 is an alright game if you have plenty of time to invest into it.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 04:21 AM   #3
|MaguS|

EQ1 is only worth playing now if you have a high end character with good gear. The low end game is nearly dead. If they were to make a preluclin server I would swallow my SOE hating pride and sign right back up to play on it, those were my favorite times.
Old 08-04-05, 09:53 AM   #4
Phillychuck

I figured it would be pretty much dead, station pass is out of my price range right now. My problem is everything we do is pretty much times 2, me and the GF play as a duo and that would be $40/month. I'm not even sure I'd want to waste my time in EQ2. I tried it, and every group I joined was a just a random collection of people who had 0 social skills. I never remember EQ being like that, people communicated, even if it was negative.

I often wondered why they never made a new server every so often. Having an untwinked world for guilds to develop would have been nice. I know its different now, but before a server could only accomodate 1 or 2 uber guilds without making hardships on the up and coming ones.

My toons were level 65-66 (on both accounts), gear wasn't elemental. I was doing planar raids with a guild and didn't do that bad. I heard that GoD put serious emphasis on resists, which I never really got to test.
Old 08-04-05, 10:31 AM   #5
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillychuck
I figured it would be pretty much dead, station pass is out of my price range right now. My problem is everything we do is pretty much times 2, me and the GF play as a duo and that would be $40/month. I'm not even sure I'd want to waste my time in EQ2. I tried it, and every group I joined was a just a random collection of people who had 0 social skills. I never remember EQ being like that, people communicated, even if it was negative.

I often wondered why they never made a new server every so often. Having an untwinked world for guilds to develop would have been nice. I know its different now, but before a server could only accomodate 1 or 2 uber guilds without making hardships on the up and coming ones.

My toons were level 65-66 (on both accounts), gear wasn't elemental. I was doing planar raids with a guild and didn't do that bad. I heard that GoD put serious emphasis on resists, which I never really got to test.
IMO if you have a 60 + toon you'd do fine in EQ 1., But as we have mentioned before. The game is massively catered towards high levels. The only time low levels actually gain levels is if there alts. Its an extremely hard game to start out new in TBH. Unless you know someone.

It's not a bad game. Its just probably one of the most time demanding MMORPGs that exist right now. I sometimes log in my 67 enchanter and Level 70 Beastlord to have some fun. But the game is hard to play if you're not willing to dedicate alot of time to it...

P.S. and the UI is so frustrating after using WoW or EQ 2's UI :P
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay; 08-06-05 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-04-05, 10:49 AM   #6
Phillychuck

I liked EQ1's UI, I usually used drak-something or other. There is less going on with the UI anyway, WoW/EQ2 have all sorts of timing. Your always powering something up or doing a sequence.

You touched on one of the reasons I quit. I used to play a mage/ranger with shaman bot. If I didn't log on the bot, I'd been sitting LFG for hours. I even used to run LDONs with the shaman and the ranger... I know I wasn't alone tho, lots of people used to play 2-3 toons at a time. I guess thats where the challenge began lol. I did cursed with the shaman doing the slows and my ranger on auto-fire a few times. Also did the fatty in PoD botting the shammy for slows. Oh the fun :-)
Old 08-04-05, 03:38 PM   #7
lognoronon

I still play EQ1. I have the station pass though so I can go back and forth from EQ2 and EQ1. I use EQ1 for raiding primarily since that's the thing I enjoy the most in these type of games(main reason I quit WOW, lack of raiding content) and EQ2 for everything else. I don't mind the UI of EQ1 and actualy like it more than WOW for some reason.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 04:56 PM   #8
Phillychuck

Looks like I might be tring EQ1 again, we just got an email saying they reactivated accounts for upto 21 days.. LOL.. I guess marketing was reading my mind...

It'll give me a change to see the game again, wont be a true test of population since I'm sure servers will be busy since people will be able to come back for free.

Also will be the first time to see my server after the merge with cazic thule.. (brell was my server).

Old 08-04-05, 05:24 PM   #9
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
EQ1 is only worth playing now if you have a high end character with good gear. The low end game is nearly dead. If they were to make a preluclin server I would swallow my SOE hating pride and sign right back up to play on it, those were my favorite times.
Aye, SoL was crap. I liked RoK alot, and sorta liked SoV. However, I do say I was never able to get the raid feeling from any other game. If they did start a new non upgraded server id join up in a heart beat.

On the UI, am i the only one who loved the orginal orginal EQ ui, not the full screen 3d one, but the crappy low res one. heh i want it back :d
Old 08-04-05, 06:18 PM   #10
Phillychuck

Well, now I've decided NOT to resubscribe to EQ1. Here's the lowdown:

My GF has EQ1 with all expansions upto OOW. She gets the free 21 days.

A new customer who downloads a "eq trilogy" free, gets a free 21 day trial.

I have EQ1 with all expansions upto OOW, EQ2, Planetside, and SWG. Because I had station access for 1 month, their CSR told me I don't qualify for the 21 free day trial.

Last time they gave me a free trial I ended up subscribing for 6 months or so, bought 3 expansions in that time as well. Sony sure doesn't care about good customers, I paid the EQ1 bill for many months before cancelling it initially, and have came back on a couple occasions.

Oh well..
Old 08-05-05, 02:45 AM   #11
ChrisRay

I have Station Access and I got the free trial e-mail too. I thought it was kind of ironic.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 08-06-05, 02:46 AM   #12
Elderblaze

EQ's population is doing fine.

The UI is fully customizable, if you don't like it, there's ALOT you can do about it.

They have completly redone the 1-20 game, you get spells at every level now, there are purchasable healing potions, clairity potions, and many new melee abilities.
All races/classes start in the same area, this brings all noobs in the game together.

As an EQ Veteran, i'd have absolutely no problem whatsoever rolling a character starting with nothing at all, and owning the game. I'd be 50 inside a month. 60 in another month and 70 a couple months later. I could do it without investing anymore/less time then I would in Wow or EQ2. In fact i know for sure i'd advance much faster in EQ1 then eq2.

Roll a solo class, (Necro,Mage, Shaman, Beastlord, wizard, druid) and you can start with no gear/plat and be highly sucessful.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote