Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-05, 02:10 AM   #13
ChrisRay

Default Re: Eq1

EQ 1's camera system is hardly all that customizable. The UI is clunky for dragging and dropping spells. The UI is dated and it shows. The interface is the problem. The skins/UIs can be changed but the interface remains the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Aye, SoL was crap. I liked RoK alot, and sorta liked SoV. However, I do say I was never able to get the raid feeling from any other game. If they did start a new non upgraded server id join up in a heart beat.

On the UI, am i the only one who loved the orginal orginal EQ ui, not the full screen 3d one, but the crappy low res one. heh i want it back :d

There are actually custom UIS which do exactly this.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 05:57 AM   #14
Phillychuck

I signed up after all... (lol) I'm having fun so far... the population is just fine on cazic. I've found a good amount of old friends already.

Graphics in EQ1 aren't that bad, I'm using the draknar UI at 1280x1024.

So far me and the GF are just working on getting my mage to 66 so I can use the new pet, a friend gave me a couple of those minor muramite runes to help out.

I didn't see anyone doing pickup raids like before, which is how I got my ranger a ton of PoP flags.
Phillychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 04:17 PM   #15
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillychuck
I signed up after all... (lol) I'm having fun so far... the population is just fine on cazic. I've found a good amount of old friends already.

Graphics in EQ1 aren't that bad, I'm using the draknar UI at 1280x1024.

So far me and the GF are just working on getting my mage to 66 so I can use the new pet, a friend gave me a couple of those minor muramite runes to help out.

I didn't see anyone doing pickup raids like before, which is how I got my ranger a ton of PoP flags.
Ah, i usto play on Cazic-Thule also
Old 08-06-05, 10:23 PM   #16
Elderblaze

I have no idea why you would need to drag/drop spells anymore now that their are spell sets. You can setup a lineup for any situation and with the click of one button/command load em up. It's pretty intuitive in my opinion. Just as good as WOW. Now if your complaining that there's only 8 spell slots, well that's a game limitation and it's by design. I doubt it will ever change. Other then a few aa's that might give you an extra slot or two.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 10:57 PM   #17
ChrisRay

Nope. I'm not complaining about the limited spell slots. I am simply saying the interface is old and dated. From the targetting system to spell set/drops and macros, to the poor implementation of watching group health/mana and limited assist options. Add in the clunky camera interface. ((Which was all fine until I experienced something better)) But I am sure you believe EQ 1 is flawless.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 08-06-05, 11:07 PM   #18
Phillychuck

Cazic zones very slow, I have RAID0 now and I'm zoning slower then before. The response when I hit the zone is pokey, it seems to sit there for a few seconds before it loads. But when we get to the other side, I'm always one of the first people.

Not doing too bad, was in MPG today with an old friend and got 40% of level 66 in a few hours. 2 of the level 70 runes had dropped too, so that made me feel better about obtaining my spells. PoP's 65 spells anoyed me to no end, costing me around 75k to get the pet and the nuke. Then again, my friend has 16k hps :-).. I'm sure a pickup group would be horrible.

LDON is dead looks like, I had to use the bird bath (augs) and went to 3 of the zones and they had no activity in the camps. I loved LDON, I guess I need DoN now to find people.
Phillychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 02:05 AM   #19
Elderblaze

I don't think EQ is flawless, however it's camera system is one of it's stronger points. Even from the original version it's camera angles and options have been very good. They are simply good enough that they don't need updating.

Watching health bars? if your a cleric or healer type that needs to do that, there are many a mod out there that can do it. All target group member 1-5 keys are fully bindable. You can make a hotkey like this

/sit off
/hotkey for target group memeber 1
/cast 1
/pause 30
/sit

This will make you stand up, target group member 1, cast spell gem 1 (a heal for example) wait till the spell is finished casting, and then sit back down.

You could also do somthing like

Manully target group member

/g Greater heal to %T (Character name) in 3 seconds!
/cast 1

The amount of information that EQ gives you as in, NPC casting, damage shield reports, damage done, crit damage, pet damage, etc etc. Is far more then you'd see in WOW/EQ2 and easier to filter to separate windows as well.

The targeting and assist system is just like other mmo's, Hell EQ pioneered this **** ffs. click a mob to target it, or push a hotkey to target the nearest mob, pretty much standard target abilities that all the newest mmo's have.

Assist is easy as well /assist (playername) or manually target and use /assist. What more do you want? Newer Mmo's are slightly better in this regard, because you can cast offensive spells on players and it will automatically hit the players target. Not that big a deal. there are also raid assist options now, and Leadership aa's that allow you to target my enemies target.

I really don't see the issue here, EQ is indeed dated, but it seems like your nitpicking, or just don't understand the depth of customization in the EQ interface.

Hehe, now that im thinking about, exactly how customizable it is, and how hotkeyable everything is, every command, every option. I think it's the NEW games that are lacking.
Old 08-07-05, 05:26 AM   #20
ChrisRay

Quote:
I really don't see the issue here, EQ is indeed dated, but it seems like your nitpicking, or just don't understand the depth of customization in the EQ interface.
Nitpicking? No I could nitpick if you'd like too. I am pointing out some faults in the EQ 1 interface.

Quote:
/sit off
/hotkey for target group memeber 1
/cast 1
/pause 30
/sit
Heh the funny thing is you illustrated exactly my point. The macro system is poorly designed at best. And half the commands are way too unuser friendly. Sure someone can always setup these macros up. But most of EQ 1 is command driven. While most modern games are UI driven.

Quote:
The amount of information that EQ gives you as in, NPC casting, damage shield reports, damage done, crit damage, pet damage, etc etc. Is far more then you'd see in WOW/EQ2 and easier to filter to separate windows as well.

The targeting and assist system is just like other mmo's, Hell EQ pioneered this **** ffs. click a mob to target it, or push a hotkey to target the nearest mob, pretty much standard target abilities that all the newest mmo's have
No its not. Most games will now generate/show in the UI whom the target is attacking. If target changes the secondary assist target will as well. EQ 1's assist is very very dated compared to modern assist interfaces. And requires reassisting on each target change. Whether thats for healing or whether for aquiring a target . It creates an un neccasary amount of micro management to perform tasks that should be trivial. Can I do it? Yes. Without a doubt. Doesnt mean its not a hassle in compared to modern assist interfaces. A MMORPG should focus its micro management on actual combat. Not clunky assist interfaces.

As far as damage shields. Spell castings. Ect. I dont see your point. Every MMORPG will give you a description of what your doing. And will log it in a recent history. Whether its a damage shield, melee attacks, or special spell skills. The information is logged. In both WoW and EQ 2. EQ 1 is hardly superior in any way. As a matter of fact. Both WoW and EQ 2 have a superior interfaces in this regards. As they give you a visual and text representation of damage and spell damage.

Quote:
I don't think EQ is flawless, however it's camera system is one of it's stronger points. Even from the original version it's camera angles and options have been very good. They are simply good enough that they don't need updating.
Cant disagree more. EQ 1's camera interface is clunky at best. Doesnt provide you a full range of camera direction. And requires you to toggle through F8 Multiple times times to toggle horizontal angle while needing to use the mouse to adjust the verticle angle.

Quote:
LDON is dead looks like, I had to use the bird bath (augs) and went to 3 of the zones and they had no activity in the camps. I loved LDON, I guess I need DoN now to find people.
LDON has been dead since Sony screwed up with the level scaling past 65 with the new expansion Omens of War. No one does it anymore because the mobs scale poorly ((or they did)) and obviously the reward these days is outdated by 3 expansions.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Last edited by ChrisRay; 08-07-05 at 05:37 AM.

Old 08-07-05, 01:57 PM   #21
Elderblaze

To each their Own I suppose. I prefer the EQ camera system over wow/eq2. Maybe it's from years of use. You can re-hotkey F8 to somthing easier to reach btw. I've played EQ2/Wow/EQ1 and they all pretty much suck out of the box, and need to be modified. Your making a bigger deal out of it then it really is. The only thing I really miss in EQ is the Visual que's when you get hit, in wow how it pops up over your head when you crit, however EQ1's combat is very different from wow, and this would absolutely NOT work for eq1. A warrior or monk duel wielding 18 delay weapons double attack, triple attacks, special attack is a spam machine like no toon in Wow could hope to achieve hehe. your screen would be loaded with hits.
Old 08-07-05, 02:37 PM   #22
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

I miss EQ1's raids and player community

I miss EQ1 before PoP. Bazaar was my fave place to chill while I wasn't busy. Ahhh, the memories. Good ol EQ1

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 05:14 PM   #23
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow
I miss EQ1's raids and player community

I miss EQ1 before PoP. Bazaar was my fave place to chill while I wasn't busy. Ahhh, the memories. Good ol EQ1
Ah yes, i usto be a day trader back before bazaar and everyone used EC, or was it WC i forgets

but anyways, i actually made quite a bit of money sitting around buying low, selling high!
Old 08-07-05, 05:37 PM   #24
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Ah yes, i usto be a day trader back before bazaar and everyone used EC, or was it WC i forgets

but anyways, i actually made quite a bit of money sitting around buying low, selling high!

It was the east commons tunnel. I remember those days. We'll never see them again.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote