Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-05, 08:57 PM   #1
Victor Polo
Victor Polo

Send a message via MSN to Victor Polo
Default Problem on using NVidia for 1AGP+1PCI cards to emulate 2 terminals.

My problem is to try to run 4 local terminals connected to a linux pc with 4 Nvidia MX 4000 graphic cards + 4 Monitors + 4 Keyboards + 4 mices. he full procedure is show at

http://www.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiterminal/howto-en.php

People from the C3SL says only 1 AGP+1 PCI Nvidia cards may work if I use "nv" driver from XFree86, and to have the rest of the installed nvidia cards I have to use the "nvidia" driver from www.nvidia.com.

Everything goes fine for two terminals. Here, i'll describe the problem and some tests i've made. I'll try to get the nvidia-bug-report.log because i'm not at home now.

I was using driver "nv" in XFree86-4 so the third terminal could not be
started. Now I'm trying to configure X to use "nvidia" instead of "nv" but it fails in several ways configured. Maybe I am doing wrong? I've reinstalled Debian sarge and made this group of six tests with the goal to configure 2 terminals using "nvidia" driver but just the first two of the six tests starts fine but are not using "nvidia" driver. The rest of the tests uses "nvidia" driver on different ways of configuration in XFree86-4, but all of these fails. I am getting out of ideas. I am sure that i'm losing something important step. Hope you can give me some clues. I've checked if Nvidia driver works for the first terminal (AGP card) without running other terminals and it was ok but fails when trying to start more terminals.

Machine specs:
Debian Sarge final.
Same video cards (1 AGP e-GeForce MX4000 64 mb, 3 PCI e-GeForce MX 4000 64 mb).
XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (default from sarge)

Patches:
Kernel 2.6.7 prepatched with ruby from C3SL.
NVidia driver version 6111 from C3SL.

Preparation: Installed debian sarge (final 3.10a) from start. Installing patched kernel 2.6.7 from C3SL and NVIDIA driver from C3SL. Grub configured to dumbcon=5 (i have 3 monitors, 1 keyboard PS/2 and 2 keyboards USB). But in this test I'll just try to run 2 terminals using the "nvidia" driver.

After, configured hotplug and test the first two terminals to check that every input device works fine (in this step the driver used in XFree86-4 was "nv"). Test OK (this is Test 1).

Test 2: Edit XFree86-4 to use "nv" driver. Created symlinks X0def and X1def to XFree86 in /usr/X11R6/bin. Also changed "gdm" to start both terminals as follows:

#this is the AGP (PCI:1:0:0) card
[server-cero]
name=cero server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X0def -audit 0 -layout X0 vt7
flexible=true

#this is the first PCI (PCI:2:1:0) card
[server-uno]
name=uno server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X1def -audit 0 -layout X1 -isolateDevice PCI:2:1:0 vt17
flexible=true

Started gdm an everything works fine in both terminals. This test was successful. Logs are in test2/.

Test 3: Edit XFree86-4 to use "nvidia" driver in both cards. "GLCore", "dri" deactivated and "glx" activated from "Module" section. When starting gdm X server starts in terminal 1 (AGP card) and the NVidia logo is shown. Mouse works for a 3-5 seconds, after, X server freezes. Xserver for terminal 2 (first PC card) never starts. Log files in test3/. No log files were created for terminal2 from XFree86 or gdm. Test unsucessful.

Test 4: Trying 'echo "1" >/proc/bus/pci/hackvideo'. Same configuration as step 3. Starting gdm: The result is equal as test 3; X and nvidia starts for terminal 1 and nothing for terminal 2. Log files in test4/. Test unsuccessful.

Test 5: Installing XFree86-430-prefbusid3 from aivili's home page to /usr/X11R6/bin. Created symlinks X0 and X1 to XFree86-430-prefbusid3. Modified gdm to use these symlinks against X0def and X1def. The rest of configuration is same as step 3. Log results in /test5. Results were similar to test3 so this test also was insuccessful

Test 6: Trying 4 and 5 at the same time: it means, running gdm with the same configuration as Test 5 but before running 'echo "1">/proc/bus/pci/hackvideo". Same result as test 3. Logs in /test6.

In the root dir are the XF86Config-4 and gdm.conf, also dmesg output. Rename the file from "report.zip" to "report.tar.gz". Winzip will open it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (51.2 KB, 153 views)
Victor Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 11:46 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Problem on using NVidia for 1AGP+1PCI cards to emulate 2 terminals.

Victor,
The 1.0-6111 is relatively old. If you able to reproduce this problem with the 1.0-7667 driver, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log for review.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 05:51 PM   #3
Victor Polo
Victor Polo

Today I have reproduced the problem using the kernel 2.6.8.1 and the 1.0-7667 driver. As before, trying to start gdm using the AGP and the first PCI cards fails if using the "nvidia" driver: just one of the terminals is started. The second fails. Some note: I have also tested Xinerama using "nvidia" driver for the AGP card, "nv" for the first PCI card and "vesa" for the second PCI card, and worked fine. But what I wish to do is to run 2 or 3 different X servers using the nvidia driver.

Maybe the cards can must be pre-started or something like that? Maybe I need to add/remove some option from my XF86Config-4 file?

As attach comes the nvidia-bug-report.log and the XFree86.1.log (it was not added to the nvidia-bug-report.log so i attach it also). Just the XFree86.0.log appears on the nvidia-bug-report.log. Follows a description of the failed test:

----------------

Test: NVIDIA 1.0-7174+Kernel 2.6.8.1+XFree 4.3

I've installed Kernel 2.6.8-1 + patch from backstreet/ruby. I'm trying to create a standalone linux multiterminal with 4 terminals. After installing the kernel, installed NVIDIA driver 1.0-7174. In this test I am trying to start just 2 terminals using gdm and XF86Config-4 using "nvidia" driver. As before, just the first terminal starts (the agp card) and the other terminal dont. In this test I have included the logfile XFree86.1.log (it's the log for the second terminal). The test was run starting "gdm" configured for 2 terminals. Note: I have added "UseInt10Module" for this test on the "Device" section of XFree86-4. What am I doing wrong? I've added -isolateDevice to gdm, I've tested several configurations without having a clue on how to solve this problem: the goal is to start 4 distinct terminals (each terminal is a screen+card+mouse+keyboard).

Hope you can help me.

(Again, the specs from my box):

Linux Debian Sarge Final
XFree86 4.3
Kernel 2.6.8.1 + ruby patch.
NVIDIA 1.0-7174 driver
1 AGP NVidia e-GeForce MX 4000
3 PCI NVidia e-GeForce MX 4000
3 keyboards (1 ps/2, 2 usb)
3 mouse(s) (1 ps/2, 2 usb)
P4 Hyperthread 3.0 + 1 Gb RAM.
1 Ethernet card PCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Victor,
The 1.0-6111 is relatively old. If you able to reproduce this problem with the 1.0-7667 driver, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log for review.

Thanks,
Lonni
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (86.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.1.log.txt (19.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 08-04-05, 06:14 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Victor,
If your goal is to allow each head to be used independently, then you'd like need to run one X server for each, and not use Xinerama to control multiple heads and cards under a single X server. I don't believe that you can run more than one instance of gdm per X server.

How are you starting up each of the X servers?

The "****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION****" warning in your XFree86.1.log is a bug that I believe is resolved in a driver after 1.0-7174. Can you please provide a bug report that includes your use of the 1.0-7667 driver?

Thanks,
Lonni

Last edited by netllama; 08-04-05 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-05-05, 11:31 AM   #5
Victor Polo
Victor Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Victor,
If your goal is to allow each head to be used independently, then you'd like need to run one X server for each, and not use Xinerama to control multiple heads and cards under a single X server. I don't believe that you can run more than one instance of gdm per X server.
How are you starting up each of the X servers?
Effectively, I have just checked Xinerama to see if my cards were working. I use gdm to start every X server independently. There is a [servers] place on the gdm.conf, there I declare each X server to be started.
Quote:
The "****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION****" warning in your XFree86.1.log is a bug that I believe is resolved in a driver after 1.0-7174. Can you please provide a bug report that includes your use of the 1.0-7667 driver?

Thanks,
Lonni
Sorry I am using 1.0-7174, not the 1.0-7667 (my fault). I think 1.0-7174 is the latests driver.

I think i've found what the problem is, but not how to solve it: The nvidia driver can only be used by the default graphics card and the other cards cannot use the nvidia driver: If I configure the BIOS to use the AGP card, then executing 'X -probeonly -layout X0' (where X0 is the layout for the AGP card) works fine, but 'X -probeonly -layout X1' (X1 for the first PCI card) fails. Again, if I change the default video card on the BIOS to PCI, then X1 layout works with the nvidia driver, but X0 doesn't.

I've found the following message on dmesg when AGP works and PCI doesn't:
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(1) failed

As attach, the full dmesg with that error and the nvidia_bug_report.log.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (87.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (14.3 KB, 164 views)
Old 08-05-05, 12:06 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Victor,
If you can replicate this with 1.0-7667, please provide a bug report against that driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-05-05, 07:49 PM   #7
Victor Polo
Victor Polo

I have tested now with 1.0-7667 as follows:

1. Booting and executing "X -probeonly -layout X0". Test good.
2. Next, executed "X -probeonly -layout X1". Failed.

3. Rebooting system and executed "X -probeonly -layout X1". Ok.
4. Next. executed "X - probeonly -layout X0". Ok.

5. Rebooting system and executed "X -probeonly -layout X1". Ok.
6. After, executed "X -probeonly -layout X2". Failed.
7. Finally, executed "X -probeonly -layout X0". Ok.

X1 and X2 layouts refers to PCI cards. X0 layout refers to the AGP card. It looks like there is no way to start more than 2 cards and one of these has to be the AGP card. As attach comes the log from nvidia-bug-report.log generated on step 2.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I have enabled "UseInt10Module" for all cards, and disabled acpi (pci=noacpi)from the kernel boot parameter. Maybe I need another option? Is there another way to start all of the cards on? Thanks.

Also I paste as attach the dmesg output. It says:

NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x21:0xffffffff:686)
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(1) failed

after the failure.

VP.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (81.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (15.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 08-07-05, 08:13 PM   #8
whyza

Angry Re: Problem on using NVidia for 1AGP+1PCI cards to emulate 2 terminals.

I have the same problem here, using ruby

Same messages in syslog

NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x21:0xffffffff:686)
NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

I also notice i get this message when starting XFree86, which i copied by hand

NVIDIA: Could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (Input/Output Error)

a cat /dev/nvidia1 which is the agp card produces
cat: /dev/nvidia1: Invalid argument

but a cat /dev/nvidia0 which is the pci card produces
cat: /dev/nvidia0: Input/Output Error

or similar...i copied this by hand again.

i notice that the bug report says this for the pci card

Video BIOS: ??.??.??.??.??

which indicates the i/o error is the problem i am led to believe.

i have tried swapping pci slots to eliminate an irq sharing issue.

i have verified the pci card works fine in another pc as the sole graphics card.

if i replace the pci nvidia card with an old virge card, the second xserver starts fine.

any ideas ?
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.ruby.nvidia2.txt (6.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt XFree86-scanpci.txt (2.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.1.log.txt (23.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: txt gdm.conf.txt (20.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (87.0 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by whyza; 08-07-05 at 08:35 PM. Reason: extra info
whyza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-05, 09:11 PM   #9
Victor Polo
Victor Polo

Now I have made the following successful test (a temporary solution of the problem):

1. Created a XF86Config-init where every Devices uses the "nv" driver. Also, a specific layout for each terminal.
2. Leave untouch the original XF86Config-4, this means every Device using the "nvidia" driver.
3. Modified the /etc/init.d/gdm so when called it will do first:

X -probeonly -layout X0 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-init
X -probeonly -layout X1 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-init
X -probeonly -layout X2 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-init

After it, the gdm script is leaved as is. It means that first GDM will probe (start or turn on) using the "nv" driver to every cards, included the AGP. After, gdm will start using the original XF86Config-4, it means, using the "nvidia" driver.

Until now it works with the following annotations:
1. Just tested with 3 terminals. Not tested with 4 because I don't have another monitor+keyboard+mice.
2. The third monitor works only on 640x480 + 16-bit depth. I have not tested yet if it is a monitor's problem or something.
3. Not tested until now if the "pci=noacpi" on the grub start and the "PlugAndPlayOs=false" on the bios helped.

It seems that the problem is that the nvidia driver does not start correctly the video cards as the nv driver does. How can I solve it? Any ideas on how to probe the fourth terminal using gdm without using a fourth monitor+kbd+mice?

Is this way to start the cards right? Does it involves some damage to the video cards/monitors?

I'll keep trying to solve this. Any idea is accepted.

Victor Polo.

Last edited by Victor Polo; 08-08-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 11:07 PM   #10
whyza

Thumbs down Re: Problem on using NVidia for 1AGP+1PCI cards to emulate 2 terminals.

Hi netllama or anyone else from nvidia

it seems that victor has done a lot of work in diagnosing this issue, and i know myself i have also spent considerable time on it.

you requested further info from victor on 08-06-05, 03:06 AM, which he and myself have provided, yet you have not replied now 6 days later.

i work in support myself, and i think its courteous to at least acknowledge that you now have enough info to investigate further if that is the case.

can you please give us and update ?

i assume it will be one of the following

1. we believe you are doing something wrong with your setup and here are some tips

2. we confirm that your setup is correct and are trying to reproduce this issue

3. we have confirmed there is a bug in our driver and are investigating further

4. we have confirmed there is a bug in our driver and here is a workaround

5. we have confirmed there is a bug in our driver and this will be resolved in a future driver release.

please give us the respect of a reply.
Old 08-11-05, 10:31 AM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

whyza,
I apologize for the lack of response. Right now this issue is in my queue, however I've not had time to return to it and investigate it in any great depth. So, unfortunately, none of your 5 scenarios fully match up with the current situation, although I suppose #2 is closest to reality. I will post an update once I have more information and/or questions.

thanks for your patience,
Lonni
Old 08-11-05, 05:08 PM   #12
whyza

Thanks for the update.

We look forward to your response when you have the time to investigate and get back to us.