Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-06, 02:31 AM   #133
daou

Default Re: first display on twinview

Quote:
Edit: It seems the nv driver doesn't work with multiple monitors on a card anyway. I've tried it with Xinerama again though and performance is really bad just doing simple things in firefox like opening or closing a tab.
So Xinerama was slow with nv and nvidia? Are you running decent hardware?
daou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 05:31 AM   #134
aos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by daou
So Xinerama was slow with nv and nvidia? Are you running decent hardware?
Xinerama didn't work with the nv driver and X just crashed (so I had to use the nvidia driver with Xinerama). I'm running an nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP card. Its not that powerful, but I don't want to play games so it should be powerful enough (main screen 1280x1024, second screen 1024x768). I would think the Xinerama performance should be good enough for most things, but it just makes even browsing the web slow. Maybe there's something I need to tweak somewhere?
aos101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 11:52 AM   #135
daou

I'm running with 2x 1280x1024... on a Geforce 6600 GT. No tweaks, just set up the parts by the book and put them together.
daou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 02:15 PM   #136
badchien

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb
So, is this fixed with 8774 drivers?
I'm really hoping maybe it will be fixed in the first 9xxx driver release.
badchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 11:01 AM   #137
SysGhost

Listen up, nVidia!

This is how easy it should be:

If I want CRT (analog VGA) as primary and DFP (DVI output) as secondary, I write:
Code:
UseDisplayDevice "CRT, DFP"

...or if I want to use DFP (DVI output) as primary and CRT as secondary, I write:
Code:
UseDisplayDevice "DFP, CRT"
...or if I want to use my TV-out aswell with CRT as primary, it would be:
Code:
UseDisplayDevice "CRT, TV"
So in theory
Code:
UseDisplayDevice "TV, CRT, DFP"
would make TV-out as the primary output and CRT as secondary and DFP as the third output.

Easy, right? ... Now fix it!
SysGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 11:04 AM   #138
SysGhost

nVidia... now you sit back there, a bit confused, thinking: "Hey.. .that does already work... or..."

Please.. .test it and you realise our problem here. CRT (Analog VGA) becomes primary output no matter what we try todo here...

so far UseDisplayDevice only works when you choose which output to use in a single monitor setup. IT DONT WORK IN MULTIBLE MONITOR SETUPS DUE IT FALLBACK TO CRT

Please... fix it.
Old 08-29-06, 11:22 AM   #139
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@SysGhost: this is the expected behavior, and the TwinView Xinerama extension data does not imply any specific screen priority/ordering - window managers, etc., shouldn't assume that the first "screen" reported via the extension is the highest priority one on which to place the login screen, etc.; they should really allow users to specify the "screen" priority/ordering. Future NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver releases may allow users to change the order in which specific display devices are reported via the TwinView Xinerama extension as an enhancement, but the current behavior isn't technically a bug.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 06:45 PM   #140
Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@SysGhost: this is the expected behavior, and the TwinView Xinerama extension data does not imply any specific screen priority/ordering - window managers, etc., shouldn't assume that the first "screen" reported via the extension is the highest priority one on which to place the login screen, etc.; they should really allow users to specify the "screen" priority/ordering. Future NVIDIA UNIX graphics driver releases may allow users to change the order in which specific display devices are reported via the TwinView Xinerama extension as an enhancement, but the current behavior isn't technically a bug.
You are wrong. This isn't a window manager issue, but a driver issue. It determines which monitor in TwinView gets primary output from the X driver, and as of now this cannot be changed whether or not you use Xinerama. It gets more annoying in TwinView Clone with an LCD and TV-Out, where TV-Out is ALWAYS the primary output, and things like Xv and OGL have to be pulled away from it to work halfway right on my own computer monitor!
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-06, 08:16 PM   #141
SysGhost

I see.
Looks like we have to make something about our login/window managers then.

I also realised that We have this "problem" in windows aswell.
In windows we have screen 1 and screen 2. CRT screen have priority 1 (default primary)
In windows you can make screen 2 primary. Still, primary screen have priority 2.

And as Zander says, it's a windowmanager issue, but this thing should not rely on the windowmanager at all.

Due Linux/unix behaviour in this matter, I would like to see a change in this behaviour, making it able to choose the screens priority order.

Maytbe add another option to the driver named "DisplayPriority" that recieves a commaseparated string, for example: "DFP, CRT, TV" where first value becomes priority 1, second value becomes priority 2 and so on.
What do you think about that?
Old 08-30-06, 05:33 AM   #142
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@SysGhost: yes, we're planning on adding an X driver option that allows users to change the order in which display devices are reported via the TwinView Xinerama extension (TwinViewXineramaInfo), i.e. something similar to the DisplayPriority option you suggested.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-06, 05:42 AM   #143
doob

@zander: please see my earlier post as to why this should be considered a driver issue.

The main problem this causes for me is that when I start a fullscreen OpenGL program, it switches to a single display (my TFT, as that is how I have my meta modes configured in my xorg.conf), but the program tries to display on the right hand side, on the now disabled CRT, and I have to scroll the virtual desktop over to the right in order for the program to then be displaying on my TFT!
doob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-06, 03:15 PM   #144
angrypanda

Angry Re: first display on twinview

O.M.G.

I can't believe I'm reading that NVidia are still thinking of fixing this problem in a "future release" of the Unix driver. When was the thread started? Fscking APRIL! FSCKING 2005!!!!!!

If it really is a difficult change to implement then please say so, otherwise we will assume that what you are _really_ saying is: "we aren't bothered, piss off and use some other manufacturer's graphics cards." Oh, I forgot, there isn't anyone else (unless you count some backward fukwits from CAAANAADA, who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, as an alternative).

So, in short, get on with it. You muppets.

Love,

Jon.

A very angrypanda indeed.
angrypanda is offline   Reply With Quote