Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-07, 12:10 PM   #181
MCMcButtah

Default Re: first display on twinview

Yes, I have this exact problem and it drives me crazy. The most annoying thing is the confirmation dialogue for changing screen resolutions shows up on my secondary crt. I usually leave my crt off and only use it when I need it. But I have to constantly keep turning on my crt to accept confirmation dialogues. Between that, and my opengl apps being 1/2 across my screen on my primary monitor when fullscreen I am beginning to realize that twinview doesn't really work and is more trouble than it is worth.
MCMcButtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 12:23 PM   #182
bobpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMcButtah
Yes, I have this exact problem and it drives me crazy. The most annoying thing is the confirmation dialogue for changing screen resolutions shows up on my secondary crt. I usually leave my crt off and only use it when I need it. But I have to constantly keep turning on my crt to accept confirmation dialogues.
In Gnome, "Alt+Space, M"
In KDE, "Alt+F3, M"
Either of these causes the mouse to jump to the center of the window with a "mover" cursor. Move the mouse to move the app to your screen, click and release to drop the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMcButtah
Between that, and my opengl apps being 1/2 across my screen on my primary monitor when fullscreen I am beginning to realize that twinview doesn't really work and is more trouble than it is worth.
That sounds like you either need meta modes defined, you aren't using twinview with the xinerama extensions, or you aren't using twinview at all. Probably you need meta modes.

I have, for example, a meta "1280x1024,1280x1024;1280x1024,null" The second takes effect automagically when I run full screen games (cedega, wine, native, w/e) and leaves the right monitor blank (null) while the game's centered on the left monitor.
bobpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 01:11 PM   #183
MCMcButtah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaul
In Gnome, "Alt+Space, M"
In KDE, "Alt+F3, M"
Either of these causes the mouse to jump to the center of the window with a "mover" cursor. Move the mouse to move the app to your screen, click and release to drop the window.

That sounds like you either need meta modes defined, you aren't using twinview with the xinerama extensions, or you aren't using twinview at all. Probably you need meta modes.

I have, for example, a meta "1280x1024,1280x1024;1280x1024,null" The second takes effect automagically when I run full screen games (cedega, wine, native, w/e) and leaves the right monitor blank (null) while the game's centered on the left monitor.

Thanks for the reply, I would love to fix this I have my metamodes defined as "1600x1200,1920x1200;null,1920x1200". My secondary monitor does shutoff like it is supposed to, but I still have the 1/2 across the screen problem. I believe the reason you do not have an issue is because you have your primary monitor on the left. When I define my primary monitor as the left screen I do not have this problem.

I will try the keyboard shortcut for moving my windows, thanks for the tip. I usually right click in the taskbar and say move, but some dialogue boxes do not generate a taskbar entry if the parent app is already in the taskbar.
MCMcButtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 11:16 AM   #184
rvalles

Unhappy Re: first display on twinview

Still not fixed. This is the email I've just sent nvidia:

Quote:
Hello. I own a geforce 7800 card and I'm running it on Gentoo on
x86-64; I attach the report file generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh and
an lspci (since nvidia-bug-report.sh seems to go look at /proc/pci,
that doesn't exist anymore in recent kernels)

I have two screens like this:
- Left: Big DVI Panel, plugged to DVI.
- Right: Small VGA CRT, plugged to VGA.

I've set them up with TwinView, and I do use compiz. The problem is,
the VGA monitor is made the "primary" one. This has some noticeable
consequences:
1. selectwm2 (or gdm/kdm if I used that) appear on the wrong screen. Can be worked around with TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder.
2. DPI is not calculated from my main screen: Can be worked around by forcing whatever DPI I want.
3. Video (xv) does sync to my second screen: Can be worked around by setting which screen to sync it with, in nvidia-settings.
4. opengl (including video when played in compiz) does sync to the second screen. NO SOLUTION.

So, it's all about point 4. I can't watch videos in compiz or play games properly with my main screen because opengl is sync'd to the secondary screen. I can't reverse the way the screens are plugged either, because my cards' connectors are VGA and DVI, and I won't plug the DFP in VGA. I could also make the right screen the primary monitor with Xinerama, but then I'd lose Composite/AIGLX, therefore Compiz. Or separate screens with no TwinView or Xinerama (really inconvenient, as windows couldn't be moved between them).

So, I'm stuck. I don't think there's anything else I can do in my end to fix this problem (Or I can't figure it out from the documentation).
Possible solutions I can think of do involve fixing the driver itself:
1. Make Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0, CRT-0" make the first one listed the primary one (which is the behavior I'd expect).
2. Add an option to nvidia-settings, like the one for the blitter used by xv, to select which display opengl sync-to-vblank should sync to.

Thank you.
rvalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 07:57 PM   #185
rvalles

Got an answer from nvidia:
Quote:
Hello Roc,

Please take a look at Chapter 11 of the driver README:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...hapter-11.html

The section on Vblank syncing has information on setting the
__GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE environmental variable to specify to which
display device OpenGL should sync.

Hope this helps,
Roland Hui
This does indeed solve things after some testing, but it's still a problem if four workarounds are needed for the whole not being able to set primary display issue; things should be easy, so that GNU/Linux appears welcoming for new users with nvidia cards and more than one monitor.
rvalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 06:39 AM   #186
lytnus

Heya,

I'm using linuxmint 7 (Ubuntu 9.04) with GNOME, and an Nvidia 8600M GT.

I just bumped into this thread looking for a solution to something very similar, which I thought might be helpful!

Basically, I have the same primary display issue when I plug an LCD into my laptop, tick the box to keep my main screen as the primary display, press ok, and accept the changes (it reverts back after 15 seconds otherwise). However, if I press cancel to not accept the changes, then apply again and accept the changes, my primary display is now correctly set!

I have had this bug for a while now, infact doing the above seems to mess up my gnome-panel (moves it to the top of the screen and freezes it). I was looking for a fix, but perhaps the above would help some people who cannot get the correct primary display in the first place,

James
lytnus is offline   Reply With Quote