Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-06, 07:26 PM   #61
stephanerosi

Default Re: first display on twinview

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanerosi
The UseDisplayDevice seems to only solve part of the problem. It works when what is wanted is to enable only one or several particular monitors (that are not CRTs for example).

But if what you want is enable two monitors (DFP-0 and a CRT-0) on the same card, and make DFP-0 the primary monitor on the Xinerama extension, this still doesn't work (ie gdm will still appear on the CRT screen, instead of the DFP).

For example, I used the option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0, CRT-0" in my config file, but the log of the X server shows that devices have been reordered "CRT-0, DFP-0", and gdm appears on the CRT.

Am I missing something?
The same bug has just been reported here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68250

And at the same time!
stephanerosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 03:01 PM   #62
badchien

I think netllama was mistaken when he said UseDisplayDevice was the solution for the problems reported in this thread, which are about using multiple displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'm sorry, you were right, I don't know what I was thinking. "UseDisplayDevice" only works with a single display device. Sorry about the confusion.

-Lonni
From: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67990
badchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 07:22 PM   #63
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, I was mistaken, sorry for the confusion.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 03:28 PM   #64
tkbletsc

Since there has been some confusion about this bug, I drew a quick diagram to illustrate exactly what the problem is.

Any idea when this can be addressed? Thanks.
tkbletsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 03:24 AM   #65
aurelieng

Hi all,

One more vote, I'm also facing this problem on my Dell laptop, and this is really annoying.

On a laptop, both screens are plugged on PCI:1:0:0, and I can't figure out how to define the two Screen sections that are needed for the workaround described in a previous post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...1&postcount=46).

@tkbletsc: thanks for the diagram, this is exactly what is needed. I do hope that this will be implemented soon.
aurelieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 04:44 AM   #66
poca

this feature has my vote too.

i'm currently using a DFP and a CRT screens in twinview mode and this feature would be really nice and appreciated.

anyway, thank you for your work on this driver that works perfectly for me since 8xxx series
poca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 10:21 AM   #67
Savek

Same problem here... Still no fix?
Savek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 10:51 AM   #68
alanlight

Ok, given that a fix does not seem to be coming anytime soon, perhaps someone knows of a decent workaround.

My situation is as follows:

DFP with a CRT to the left.
The DFP is what I want to be the primary monitor (i.e. that's where I have my toolbars on the top and bottom of the screen). The CRT to the left is extra real estate for stuff like GDesklets widgets, scrolling news tickers, etc.

The only problem I have, is that new windows by default are popping up on the CRT, which is viewed as the "primary" screen.

Any thoughts as to how to control the default positon of new windows?

I'm running Umbuntu Dapper, with Gnome.
alanlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-06, 03:59 AM   #69
coyctecm

Send a message via MSN to coyctecm

Is there any progress with this problem? I have just configured twinview, and it is pretty annoying that CRT is my primary display when I want DFP to be primary.

Anyway, thanks NVidia, great drivers still.
coyctecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 01:41 PM   #70
badchien

Unhappy Re: first display on twinview

This problem was first reported at least 9 months ago. It seems it is not a priority for nvidia, unfortunately. I'm afraid the only realistic solution at this point is to purchase two DVI monitors or get a non-nvidia graphics card instead.
badchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-06, 06:51 PM   #71
mythtvfan

After way (WAY) too much experimenting, I just found a way to get XVideo overlay active on DFP-0 and not CRT-0 (CRT-0 is still the primary display and DFP-0 is the secondary, but that's actually the way I wanted it, since DFP-0 is my LCD HDTV).

After so much time trying to find this answer online myself and having no success, I registered on nvnews just so I could post it.

The trick is to:
1. use separate X screens (not Twinview)
2. when you set up your separate "Device" sections, as per the nvidia README, there will be a "Screen" variable in each set to 0 or 1.
The key thing is to have the "Screen 0" be in the Device section for the screen you want to get the XVideo Overlay, even if that Device actually corresponds with what X considers to be screen 1 (i.e. display :0.1).

I get a little weirdness with the overlay showing video only on the top and bottom edges sometimes in MythTV, but if I just stop and then restart playing it clears it up.

I hope other people find this useful.... just take the config options from NVIDIA's readme Appendix P
and then adjust the "Screen" options as necessary so that Screen 0 is the one where you play most video.
mythtvfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 01:51 PM   #72
scooby2

Time to bump this again. Can Xinerama be used to get around this until a fix is made (if ever)?
scooby2 is offline   Reply With Quote