Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-05, 03:51 PM   #1
martini

Default first display on twinview

i have the following problem:

if i activate twinview, the crt-0 monitor is always taken as the first display. the secondary is dfp-0.

-- xorg.conf: --
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0, CRT-0"
--

...also doesnt work. the driver seems to reorder the monitor devices:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using ConnectedMonitor string "CRT-0, DFP-1"

i really dont know, what to do now.

i like, that gdm and the gnome environment uses the dfp display as the first display. if i change RightOf to LeftOf, the crt monitor is also taken as the first device.
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 10:38 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: first display on twinview

martini,
Please post an nvidia-bug-report.log for review.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 12:28 PM   #3
chrismortimore

as far as i know, everyone has that problem. but any desktop environment worth it's salt will let you set what display things are put in by default and whatnot.
Old 08-07-05, 05:57 AM   #4
martini

nvidia-bug-report.log attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (71.2 KB, 821 views)
Old 08-07-05, 07:09 AM   #5
Thunderbird

You can't set the first display using the ConnectedMonitor option. There's no real way to do it. For most people TwinviewOrientation "LeftOf" is enough. If you really want to make the dfp the primary screen you need to play with 'separate X screens combined with Xinerama'.

The CRT-X/DFP-X/TV-X corresponds to how the outputs are wired on the card. Useally the first output is just CRT-0 but in some cases it is CRT-1, further the '-X' thing isn't required.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 02:07 PM   #6
martini

wouldn't this be a nice feature for the next version of the driver?

i think, that it's just necessary to have an option to set the first display device, the nvidia driver returns to the applications by the xinerama extension.

is there a possibility to send wishes (email, nvidia)?
Old 08-08-05, 06:51 AM   #7
sirphoenix

the windows-driver can switch the primary display but the linux driver always forces CRT-0 (if connected) as first device.
so that option should really be implemented
sirphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 01:47 PM   #8
sirphoenix

*bump* ... this is still an issue.
the windows driver CAN do it so why is the linux-driver forcing CRT-0 as primary?
sirphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-05, 05:22 AM   #9
doob

Has anyone ever got anywhere with this problem? My main monitor is a TFT connected over DVI (DFP-0) and I have a CRT (CRT-1) to the right of it. The Nvidia driver always forces CRT-1 to be the primary display (which is just wrong!). I've been as explicit as I can in my xorg.conf but it won't swap them over. It's a pain, especially as I'd much prefer games to come up in front of me.

Anyone from Nvidia care to comment? Will there be an option introduced in future drivers (the next version please? ) to change this?
doob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 10:45 AM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

doob,
The "ConnectedMonitor" option is not meant to designate the physical location of display devices. It is meant for instructing the driver what kind of display is connected to your card.

If you want to control the physical orientation of the X screens, please use the 'rightof' or 'leftof' parameters.

If you have additional questions or problems, please generate and post a bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 03:35 PM   #11
doob

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The "ConnectedMonitor" option is not meant to designate the physical location of display devices. It is meant for instructing the driver what kind of display is connected to your card.
If you want to control the physical orientation of the X screens, please use the 'rightof' or 'leftof' parameters.
I realise that, and once logged in, my desktop displays fine, altho, when I switched to the DVI cable I had to move my gnome panels from my right hand monitor to the one in front.
The problem is that X insists on making CRT-1 the primary monitor, see my Xorg.0.log in the attached bug report, it swaps round the ConnectedMonitor string after enabling TwinView.
Code:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0, CRT-1"
(**) NVIDIA(0): ConnectedMonitor string: "DFP-0, CRT-1"
(**) NVIDIA(0): TwinView enabled
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using ConnectedMonitor string "CRT-1, DFP-0"
This means that GDM always displays on the CRT, and that any fullscreen OpenGL apps also display on there. Notice how I have:
Code:
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1280x1024, NULL; 1024x768, NULL; 800x600, NULL"
in my xorg.conf. Before (with a VGA cable) the NULLs applied to my CRT, now they apply to my TFT. In case you were wondering, if I completely disable TwinView, but leave both monitors plugged in, the display comes up on the CRT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you have additional questions or problems, please generate and post a bug report.
Attached, thanks for your help in this.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.txt (70.7 KB, 473 views)
doob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 05:23 PM   #12
iserlohn

This issue is quite a priority as Xv gets vsynced to the primary display (which is not configurable). If the CRT is connected, then the Xv video is synced to it and substantial tearing is exhibited on the DVI display. A substantial number of people use DVI monitors as the primary display and it is very annoying as Xinerama screen 0 is assigned to the CRT.
iserlohn is offline   Reply With Quote