Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-05, 12:39 AM   #13
ChrisRay

Default Re: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Eh? I like Doom1's gameplay. Better examples please! And no. Brad MCquaid may have had the first MMORPG. It was quickly surpassed in playability by just about any game that was released in the next year or so. Anarchy Online and Dark Ages of Camelot.

I am harping on the fact that they knew there combat system was busted. They knew class balance was busted. And they did nothing to fix it. It wasnt until SoE came along and rebuilt the combat system and redesigning it. You can praise alot of things about EQ 1's combat system being unique. But half the things in EQ 1 combat system were unintentional.

Complete Heal: Completely broken spell that should have been removed early. The game was forever doomed to balance around this spell

Kiting: Verant took several steps to nerf kiting. Sony reimplemented them!

Feign Death Pulling: Verant took several steps to nerf this. Sony reimplemented it and improved monks for pulling!

Pacify/Harmony: Useless spell. Due to the spell having a broken MR modifiar. Fixed by sony!

Broken Charm system: Enchanters soloing in just about any place they can root/park remind you of anything? In the end the RVW was completely out of line.

Bards Charm/Snare/AOE Kiting: Broken forever. Fixed by Sony!

The list goes on and on and on. EQ 1 was a very poorly balanced game at the beginning and the content was very unfriendly towards the average users. And no. I have no respect for Brad MCquaid. Not in the least. The guy is very charismatic. But he hasnt proved to me he can design a well balanced game and playable game. When he does. I'll be the first to pat him on the back.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 04:46 AM   #14
|MaguS|

Actually Most of what has been broken/fixed has been broken and fixed after every expansion... every since Kunark. Heck, I liked when FD worked great then SOE made it so it would fail more often and harder to pull using it.

Kiting shouldn't be allowed, Seeing a Druid or Bard take on 5+ mobs with ease was just stupid. As for CH, yeah it was a goof of a spell to add, once I recieved that spell I had a single job...

I think Verant had a good goal/vision... just a poor time implementing it.
Old 08-12-05, 06:31 AM   #15
ChrisRay

FD was nerfed long long before Kunark. ((Level restriction 35 for memory whipe. Used to whipe memory completely. Was done to stop plane of hate monk pulling)) Kiting was nerfed long before kunark. Pacify was broken long before Kunark. And your right. Verant had a good idea. But their implementation was at best very shoddy. Even sony has followed EQ 1's philosophy regarding kiting, fd, pulling ect,. Effectively killing it. The problem was. EQ 1 tactics became reliant on tactics that were broken in implementation. Thus players had no choice but to play these ways. And such the game had to be balanced around them in the end.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 08-12-05, 06:37 AM   #16
|MaguS|

And yet with all the problems it was probably one the most fun MMORPGs even compared to today's great MMORPGs. Heck, I had more fun with it then I did with my time in any other MMORPG... not even DOAC kept me for 4+ years and I couldn't see EQ2 or WoW doing so either...
Old 08-12-05, 08:30 AM   #17
ChrisRay

I think you should give newer MMORPGs more of a chance. EQ 1 was successful because for the first year and half. It had no competition. And when competition did arrive. It was a buggy disaster (Anarchy Online/DaoC from the beginning)) People had no real choices back then. Ever notice how people always quit EQ 1 pissed off back then? There were alot of people unhappy with the way Verant ran things. EQ 1 had a tendecy to keep you involved by continous expansion updates ((every 6 months)) and I predict ((at least SOE)) will continue that trend. Not entirely sure about Blizzard.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 08-12-05, 08:41 AM   #18
|MaguS|

To be able to survive to this point means something and shows that something was done right. The game is still going strong even with WoW and EQ2 out. Sure it doesn't have the population it use to but it has more then enough for raids to be common and SOE to continue releasing an expansion pack every 6 months.

EQ1 lasted and beat AO, DAOC (Actually had a great launch),COH, AC, AC2 (Great launch aswell), UO, Horizons, EO, E&B and even SWG. EQ1 was horrible at launch, the servers were unstable or down, The game had tons of lag aswell when you could get in. Heck EQ1 also suffered from just a poor engine rendering at launch, I remember all the graphics errors that popped up (this trend followed even through all the expansions).
Old 08-12-05, 06:31 PM   #19
ChrisRay

Magus. I am curious. Do you attone EQ 1's survival to Verant or Sony Online Entertainment?

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 08-12-05, 08:14 PM   #20
|MaguS|

Verants mainly, Sure they screwed up alot initially but later after released they fixed alot of issues through patches and both Kunark and Velious were amazing expansions far better then any post luclin. Yeah, they did create some balancing issues from the getgo but every MMORPG suffers such issues so I couldn't be so harsh.

I also look at it this way, I had far more fun pre luclin then I did post luclin...

Old 08-12-05, 08:48 PM   #21
ChrisRay

But you were just aluding to the fact that the game was "more" fun. And lasted along time. Sony was the one who kept the game alive. Not Verant. And I bet people would be surprised to know Brad Mcquaid oversaw most of Luclin's development. And Sony was the one who rebalanced the game and made it more playable in the "long term".

EQ 1 has survived as long as it has because the game caters towards being high level. It wasnt until Luclin/Planes of Power were released did this "really" happen. They kept players there. EQ 1 did not recieve a substancial amount of new players for a long time after the release of MMORPGs such as DAoC and AO and newer MMORPGs.

The reason for this is simple. EQ 1 offers very very little to a new player. While they may have improved the game for newbies. Its still a poor game to play at lower levels. ((Actually Sony did the newbie improvements too))

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 08-13-05, 12:41 PM   #22
ruziel

eq1 is now like people's little brother.. it's taken enough ****, just leave it alone :P
ruziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 02:41 AM   #23
Elderblaze

Don't forget they are all MMO's. EQ1 offers the same **** as any other MMO to a new player, Community, and hours upon hours of grinding. No matter how you wrap it, they are all the same. Most of the stuff you qouted a few post back when you where tearing Verant up, are all forgiveable newbie mistakes. Like I said it was the very first 3D MMO of it's time. To expect it to be anywhere near todays' games in Balence/mechanics is a bit foolish. Do you understand the depth of wha those DEV's where doing so many years ago, They dident know EQ1 was gonna be a breakaway sucess, they dident think people would chew through the content so rapidly. They did not plan for the game to last for years, that's why things like Complete Healing made it in, if they knew the game was going to last 2 years, let alone 7, I gurantee you it would have not been put in. Oddly enough CH is pretty well balenced these days as it heals 7500 only. Which is becoming less and less. Plus with it's 10 second cast time it's not even used that much anymore.

I don't pretend to know why EQ's still around today and so many other games with superior game mechanics have fallen to the wayside, some, overnite. I know in order for it to have lasted so long and carved it's way into so many people's hearts that eq sure as hell did somthing right. Somthing that so many others could only hope for, im not even sure Brad himself knows.

It's a crying shame SOE ruined the franchise with EQ2, damn shame. Vanguard is the real EQ2. I will be laughing my ass off when EQ1 servers are still going strong when EQ2 is shut down.

Anywho,

/end sentimental rant.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 02:56 AM   #24
ChrisRay

EQ 2 isnt going anywhere elder. We know you dont like EQ 2. But Could you try to be a little more realistic please? Like how about coming back down to planet earth for once. EQ1/EQ2 have similar market shares.

Quote:
No matter how you wrap it, they are all the same. Most of the stuff you qouted a few post back when you where tearing Verant up, are all forgiveable newbie mistakes. Like I said it was the very first 3D MMO of it's time. To expect it to be anywhere near todays' games in Balence/mechanics is a bit foolish.
No. I expected Verant to improve the system when it was obviusly broke. There were games out there during the EQ 1 era way before EQ2 and WoW that had far better balance than EQ Live. Again. When Brad Mcquaid proves he is capable of designing a balanced MMORPG. Instead of closing his ears to the community about the game problems go "La la la I cant hear you. The vision is clogging my ear drums". Until then. He will get the criticism I feel he so rightly deserves. Oh and Abashi too.

Quote:
They did not plan for the game to last for years, that's why things like Complete Healing made it in, if they knew the game was going to last 2 years, let alone 7, I gurantee you it would have not been put in. Oddly enough CH is pretty well balenced these days as it heals 7500 only. Which is becoming less and less. Plus with it's 10 second cast time it's not even used that much anymore.
CH isnt anymore balanced now than it was then. The game designed almost every encounter around complete heal. How can you even sit there with a straight face and say Complete Heal is balanced. It only took 3 years and serious nerfs from SOE to bring that heal back down to lower levels. . Its mana inexpensive and heals too well. The only difference is other classes have been starting to get comparative spells and since EQ 1 is so old now. Spells are starting to catch up with complete heal in potency. But not mana effiency.

MMORPGs are designed to have significant lifespans. So thats no excuse for poor design. Everquest Live was designed looking forward too. Like I said before. I could go on forever about poor design mechanics. I have played the game for 7 years. I have a pretty good idea of the flaws in the game.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Last edited by ChrisRay; 08-15-05 at 03:15 AM.