Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-05, 12:36 PM   #1
rednixfedora

Default xorg broken or my card?

ive posted before but this is possibly a different issue. im currently running a suse 9.3 2.6.11 newest nvidia driver correctly installed through yast patch with an amd 2500 soyo km400 board chipset an nvidia pny geforcefx5200 card with 768 mb of ram. i was running ubuntu not even a week ago and had had initial problems with video. the everpresent x lockup while mouse still moves bug. i thought a move to another distro would help. so i ftp installed suse and properly installed my drivers and agp shows as correct and i get a glxgear fps of around 3000. a boost from ubuntu's fps of around 2500 but nonetheless i first went to setup my refresh rate on my monitor with sax2 and got locked up. after a few hard reboots i got it to stay stable enough to setup my res wich is now my comfy 1024x768 at 85mhz all was good. until i ran glxgears and locked up. then a hard reboot and a lock up again after 3rd reboot it ran with a great fps however ive noticed that the animation of the gears does not move smoothly anylonger its scary looking. normaly even with nv driver open source the gears are fluid and move nicely. now with the nvidia driver ive noticed that although my games run great the glxgears are moving very well, ugly there is tearing sometimes they move better when i move the window its odd. however as long as my games run im happy because glx gears isnt a great benchmarking tool or anything. now ive gone for quite some time without a lock up but out of nowhere FREEZE lol thats funny almost but now im starting to wonder is my video card damaged? i can live with the error with linux i dont even mind a reboot now and then. my games havent frozen on me it just seems to be maybe an xorg/nvidia issue but if my card is damaged then ill freak first off i only play gta3 and enemy terrirtory/ army ops when ryan gets 2.4 ported so i dont need a super high end card but im not rich and i dont know how long i could go without at least a 5200 card wich would be around 50 bucks online or 120 walmart lol. so i guess my question is this, if my card were damaged being that ive had intermittent lockups for a few months now would my games even be running for hours on end at all? much less my pc i mean suse runs all night long downloading torrents and what not. or would it most likely just burnout and not work period? i did have a fan issue with my original pny card and rma got me a new one its purple too and that made me happy lol. then that fan started to buzz a bit and i actually just got a universal bfg fan replacement and other than that i couldnt possibly think of anything going wrong as far as damage. i dont think its overheating these would probably run with just a heatsink. sorry for the long post but im getting worried especially if its damaged wether or not the rest of my setup could be damaged by the card if its faulty please someone give me some hope here lol.
sincerely zeromod
rednixfedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 12:17 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: xorg broken or my card?

zeromod,
Please keep in mind that a single lockup over many months could be caused by a very wide range of causes, including the nvidia driver, and hardware problems, as well as bugs in any of the other pieces of software you were running at the time. Unless you can find a means of replicating this, I doubt that anyone will be able to provide an answer.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 02:10 AM   #3
rednixfedora

the lockups are apparently random, and due to an dare i say obvious bug with one or more parts of linux and the nvidia drivers. and not just the new ones, some say its xorg some say its firefox or kde or gnome etc etc im not sure what exactly it is that isn't reacting well with nvidias drivers but even a downgrade to 6629 and it still happens and its hard to duplicate exactly because it can happen at almost any given time during different processes the only thing that is persistent is the fact that im running in xwindows, however sadly enough im typing this right now on an xp home box the same one as above, thats right ive pushed linux aside for the simple fact that it was the only way i could be sure that i didnt have a faulty nvidia card, and although im ready to scream and perhaps cry, windows xp is stable and no lockups thusfar, i will recomment in a few days or so just to be sure as ubuntu and even suse have both gone days before without a lockup and out of the blue it does, if this is an issue with a part of linux or the nvidia drivers or both then i hope its taken care of as this is not uncommon, not even on these forums and i know the ubuntu forums have the "x freeze while mouse moves bug" suppose we should give it a name now. i love nvidia though i never looked back from my switch to nvidia based cards and when linux came into play especially with enemy territory/doom 3/ cedega from transgaming to play windows games etc the time to own an nvidia card with linux is definitely now. but i cant see myself dropping back to redhat 9 or debian stable for stability.
rednixfedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 05:36 AM   #4
whig
550Ti

Have you checked your ram with memtest86?
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 07:00 AM   #5
a7v

Not to flame you or anything... but how can it be an obvious bug if the lockups are totally random, given how hard it can be to debug crashes/lockup even when they don't happen at random. If you could get get these crashes in a predictable way by running application XY or doing action YY while running ZZ then we or Nvidia might give you some better advice.

You can try the generic advice:
  • Try the "nv" opensource driver to see if the crashes still occurs.
  • Run Memtest86+ to check your memory.
  • Disable X Render extension in the nvidia section in xorg.conf
    Quote:
    Option "NoRenderExtension" "True"
  • Lower your AGP speed in BIOS.
  • Try setting a slightly different AGP Drive Strength in your BIOS. Beware that your system might refuse to boot up and force you to reset your BIOS
a7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 10:28 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

rednixfedora,
As others have pointed out, random, sporadic lockups can be caused by any number of things. I will point out right now, that there have been many different potential bugs that cause the "mouse moves while X is frozen" class of bug. Just yesterday I ran into that same issue in FC4 while using an official 2.6.12 Fedora kernel, and resolved it when running a vanilla kernel.org 2.6.12 kernel. So its also possible that you're hitting a kernel bug. Please keep in mind that many bugs can cause the same symptoms.

Without reproduction steps, and a bug report that captures the problem, we can only guess at what might be triggering the problems you are experiencing.

In addition to the excellent suggestions that a7v provided, you should also verify that you have the most recent BIOS for your motherboard applied, as I've seen some old or buggy SBIOS's trigger alot of instability problems that some people have erroneously attributed to the nvidia driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote