Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-08-02, 06:17 AM   #13
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

lolz I wondered why he made sense this time. Matty edited him.
Old 09-09-02, 01:50 PM   #14
Feanor

And as for their new features, report is also that a new copy of XP corporate with SP1 slipstreamed in it already has got new CD keys leaked, so the old one's which were disabled, well...

http://www.theregus.com/content/4/26227.html

Quote:
Aside from 'official' leaks SP1 has been widely leaked since it RTMed. This isn't likely to have concerned Microsoft greatly, particularly as it carries payload in addition to bugfixes that Microsoft would like to get out there. It has the modifications designed to comply with the terms of the proposed antitrust settlement, the supplementary licence agreement, and the retread of Product Activation. Another leak, however, will be less welcome in Redmond - what appears to be an OEM/corporate version of WinXP with SP1 integrated has been circulating on the internet for over a week now.

...Large numbers of illicit copies of XP are Pro versions using the two leaked keys Microsoft is blocking in SP1, rather than cracked versions, so a new leaked key would just open up that particular stable door again. Microsoft will be checking keys, according to the Ts & Cs of the new licences, when users visit Windows Update, and will be blocking access to updates for compromised keys. So if the key circulating with the most recently leaked code is widely-used, it'll certainly be added to the stop list. But as the users of this code will have all of the fixes rolled up in SP1 already they'll likely only need the occasional (or weekly, depending...) security patch, so they won't be particularly worried.

The Register has seen copies of the EULA for the integrated code, and of the file accompanying it. The latter says the code is "Microsoft XP Corporate Edition, Service Pack 1 Intergrated PROPER" (which we believe may be a reference to an earlier 'improper' warez attempt), and claims responsibility for "Reformation."
One can also got the official version at (they gave the url and I pulled it early this morning before MS listed it on Windows Update or the like)

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...sp1_en_x86.exe
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 02:03 PM   #15
Feanor

BTW, the ugly in SP1 we already know about (aka supplementary liscence agreement et all), but not for the good and the bad I noticed thus far.

The irritating problem WMP patch caused, in having made my DVD decoder card's software useless is now fixed (well largely...there's one caveat now). Course when M$ breaks this in the patch, there is no way to fix it (until SP1 came out, but it worked pre-WMP patch), and WMP patch's supplemental agreement explicitly says that M$ reserves the right to upload stuff to one's computer automatically for the express purpose of doing what the patch had in fact done to it...one would conclude M$ is leaving them SOL...

However, this is the caveat, there is now an annoying flickering problem which simply was not there pre-WMP patch. This causes headaches and hurts the eyes... The IQ could be what it was pre-SP1, though generally it's back now...

Now for the thing SP1 did not fix. There is this annoying little bug, especially because it is so intermittent and only happens once every so many months, in which I don't know if it's MS that needs to update XP, nVidia that needs to update their nForce drivers, or what, but where I'll come out (I leave my comp running 24/7) to a black screen. It doesn't happen often, and never happened with previous setups and OSes.

At first I thought the video just went, but now this whole time SETI@Home shows that it was idle (yes it's set to run all the time and not as screen saver so should have been busy) for these many hours, and did nothing... Based on SETI queue, the unit is now over an hour late (and there is about 2 hours of processing), so there was 3 hours that XP was sitting there frozen up... Well when that unit gets done, it'll be my 2,500th unit...
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote