Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-05, 05:17 PM   #1
JimBass

Smile Debian solutions for x86_64 installproblems

Hello all!

I have found my way through some of the major PIA parts of the install of NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7676.pkg2.run.

Some preface information -
I am running Debian testing on a custom built 2.6.12-4 kernel. Testing still uses XFree86 rather than xorg, so that could be a factor in why my solution worked.

I installed Debian testing from a netinstall CD, and it installed kernel 2.6.8-11. Even after installing the kernel source and kernel headers for this kernel, the NVidia installer would not install. I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.12-4, which is the newest stable version of the vanilla kernel. After I had the new kernel installed, I tried the NVidia installer again, and this time it completed with no errors. I was very happy, until I typed "startx" and had the no screen error come up. After reading the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, I saw that XFree86 couldn't find modules nvidia or glx. I tried /sbin/lsmod, and sure enough, neither module was listed. I did /sbin/modprobe nvidia, and then nvidia was listed in /sbin/lsmod. startx again gave the same errors however, neither nvidia or glx was found.

A hyper long and painful google search as well as a search through the forums here came up with many suggestions, but nothing specific that would fix it. A post from 3 years ago pointed me in the right direction however. The XFree86 system looks for the drivers and modules it needs in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/. Unfortunately, the NVidia installer does not place the nvidia modules and drivers in that directory, it places the nvidia drivers in /usr/X11R6/lib64/moules/drivers/ and the glx info in /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/. All I needed to do to get things running is to copy the files into the location where XFree86 looks for them, with these commands -

Code:
cp /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers/* /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
cp /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/* /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
Once that was done, startx went right into my graphical desktop, and the /var/log/XFree86.0.log is perfectly clean!
JimBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 12:27 PM   #2
tup34

Default Re: Debian solutions for x86_64 installproblems

cheers jim ive been struggling for ages, as you can see via my "7676 probs" post.

thanks tup34
tup34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 07:57 AM   #3
a7v

Actually... I think it might be beacuse of the way Debian deals with X86_64 libs, placing them in 'lib' rather then 'lib64'. The reason for that, if understood it correctly, was that all installed libs and programs are 64bit so that if they'd done it like other distros 'lib' dirs would have been empty (everything in 'lib64'). Debian chose to put everything in 'lib' instead, and in true unix spirit also saved TWO bytes per dynamically linked library in every executable. 32bits libraries and programs should therefore be installed in a special chroot jail. Things will improve once they implement proper Multiarch behaviour.
Take all this with a grain of salt, since I don't have any 64bit CPU so this is all hearsay.
a7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 08:28 PM   #4
JimBass

I have read other people complaining about the debian lib vs lib64 arch. I didn't care, I just wished it was documented earlier. Hopefully this post will find its way into the hands of the people that need it.

Peace,
JimBass
JimBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-05, 07:57 AM   #5
lostsoul

Thank you so much!! I had a very similar problem and couldn't use the graphical interface since i've installed my debian... Let's hope it'll work this time!
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote