Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-05, 04:24 AM   #1
FlatFace

Default GF 4000MX and OpenGL: VERY slow

Hey,

I'm on an Athlon XP 2100+, 768mb DDR2100, and a Geforce 6000 MX AGP 128mb. Latest nvidia drivers (7676), latest xorg (6.8.2), etc. glxgears gets ~840fps, Enemy Territory and StepMania get <10fps, and mplayer is too slow if it uses -vo gl or gl2. I'm not even going to bother trying HL2.

Oh, and if it helps, I had this same problem with my old GF4 MX420... Didn't bother trying to fix it then, but now that I have a better card, I thought I may as well put it to work.

I was told by someone on IRC to downgrade drivers to 6629, but I couldn't get it installed on 2.6.12-ARCH/gcc 4.2 either with Arch Linux's package or the official installer... Either my kernel or gcc version must be messing it up. I don't know what else to do, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a suggestion or two on how to do anything with OGL.

I uploaded nvidia-bug-report.log to http://chaoticevil.ca/nvidia-bug-report.log.txt -- it has a lot more detailed information.

Thanks,

--FlatFace
FlatFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 06:04 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GF 4000MX and OpenGL: VERY slow

FlatFace,
If you disable "AllowGLXWithComposite" and the Compositor altogether, does that have any positive impact?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 06:08 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFace
Oh, and if it helps, I had this same problem with my old GF4 MX420... Didn't bother trying to fix it then, but now that I have a better card, I thought I may as well put it to work.
Going from an MX420 to an MX4000 isn't an upgrade at all, more of a lateral move. Had you gone from an MX420 to a GeForce FX or greater, then that would be cause for concern.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-05, 02:21 PM   #4
FlatFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
FlatFace,
If you disable "AllowGLXWithComposite" and the Compositor altogether, does that have any positive impact?

Thanks,
Lonni
Nope, not at all. I only had those on for testing earlier, anyway. Right now I have all composite stuff commented out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Going from an MX420 to an MX4000 isn't an upgrade at all, more of a lateral move. Had you gone from an MX420 to a GeForce FX or greater, then that would be cause for concern.
I'm not a speed freak. I just want to play some games, and even with the old card, in Windows it ran stuff just fine. Something is obviously wrong here.

Thanks,

--FF
Old 08-24-05, 02:58 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

FlatFace,
What kind of motherboard are you using? Have you verified that you have the most recent BIOS applied? Do you have any spare partitions or disks where you could test out a different distribution just to verify that this isn't something specific to Arch Linux?

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-05, 03:26 PM   #6
Thunderbird

Could you check the output of glxinfo? Post it here, there's a chance that direct rendering isn't enabled in there.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-05, 03:32 PM   #7
FlatFace

That's the first thing I checked.

[flatface@envy ~]$ glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: Yes