Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-16-05, 04:08 AM   #1
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Default A bunch of *worrying* new Oblivion screens

Sorry, for opening another thread about this game. But recent events in the past few days have made me dramatically change my opinion about this game.

Since the official forums seems to be overrun by blind fanboys at the moment (only a minority is really saying flat that they don't like at all what they've seen), I bring the case to you and let's see if my opinions are just the product of a lunatic.

These are new ingame pictures taken recently from the PC version of Oblivion by a Russian gaming site:

http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028

Even if some looks decent, graphically wise, Oblivion is a big letdown from me and I'm not so sure I want to dip into it.

After seeing this:
http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146980

I wonder if this is a truly "next gen" title with graphics that look on par with the 3 years old Morrowind. From a year 2k5 game I expect much more. The texture resolution is shameful.

The textures alone are 50% of the graphics immersion factor. You can have low poly meshes, simple shading but a detailed texture is what turns a bunch of triangles into a credible object. Having detailed textures is foundamental in a game with a first person perspective as the camera can get very close to the meshes thus the surfaces detail will get most of the attention from the eyes of the player.

PS: At first some people wondered if the game was run at low settings on an outdated PC, but it looks it's not the case: P4 3.4 GHz with a 6800U 256MB 2 GB of RAM.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 04:33 AM   #2
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: A bunch of *worrying* new Oblivion screens

It could still very well be running on low settings... or medium. Its possible you need a fast card and 512mb texture memory for full texture detail. Remember, it is a next gen engine
Old 10-16-05, 04:38 AM   #3
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Yeah those textures are pretty weak in a lot of those shots... its the same thing morrowind suffered from. Still looks great in my opinion, but the textures are not nearly as sharp as I had hoped. Its too bad really...

Im sure the game will still be fantastic though... at the very least, the community will fix things that people arent happy with. The Morrowind retexturing projects were a huge success and made the game look amazing (actually, most the textures that were added look better than the ones in many of those oblivion shots...).

This is still my #1 most wanted game though... it could use flat shaded polygons and id still play it
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 04:42 AM   #4
Superfly
Retired

With all due respect dude using the system in your sig your never gonna see max settings on this game anyways.
Old 10-16-05, 05:12 AM   #5
ST:DS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
Sorry, for opening another thread about this game. But recent events in the past few days have made me dramatically change my opinion about this game.

Since the official forums seems to be overrun by blind fanboys at the moment (only a minority is really saying flat that they don't like at all what they've seen), I bring the case to you and let's see if my opinions are just the product of a lunatic.

These are new ingame pictures taken recently from the PC version of Oblivion by a Russian gaming site:

http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028

Even if some looks decent, graphically wise, Oblivion is a big letdown from me and I'm not so sure I want to dip into it.

After seeing this:
http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146980

I wonder if this is a truly "next gen" title with graphics that look on par with the 3 years old Morrowind. From a year 2k5 game I expect much more. The texture resolution is shameful.

The textures alone are 50% of the graphics immersion factor. You can have low poly meshes, simple shading but a detailed texture is what turns a bunch of triangles into a credible object. Having detailed textures is foundamental in a game with a first person perspective as the camera can get very close to the meshes thus the surfaces detail will get most of the attention from the eyes of the player.

PS: At first some people wondered if the game was run at low settings on an outdated PC, but it looks it's not the case: P4 3.4 GHz with a 6800U 256MB 2 GB of RAM.

Perhaps those "fanboy" are just fans of the Elder Scrolls series and graphics are pretty low on thier list on whether Oblivion will be good or not. I have been playing TES since Arena was released (~11 years), and it was never about the graphics that got me excited about these games, it was all about the gameplay and freedom. In my opinion Bethesda does just fine in the graphics department, Daggerfall wasn't even upto par in the graphics realm when it was released and it was still a kick butt game.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 05:22 AM   #6
_Thanatos_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9
Perhaps those "fanboy" are just fans of the Elder Scrolls series and graphics are pretty low on thier list on whether Oblivion will be good or not. I have been playing TES since Arena was released (~11 years), and it was never about the graphics that got me excited about these games, it was all about the gameplay and freedom. In my opinion Bethesda does just fine in the graphics department, Daggerfall wasn't even upto par in the graphics realm when it was released and it was still a kick butt game.
True... I'm waiting for Oblivion 'cause I played Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind.
Bethesda never proof his self in graphics. Morrowind was in some way eye-candy, but it was almost 99% 'CPU based graphics' (Morrowind worked same on gf256, gf2, 9700). Still waiting for Oblivion .
E4500@Stock| DFI Blood Iron | 2x1024 Crucial DDR 2 | Gainward 7800gt GS | Hitachi 160 Sata II | Toshiba DVD 16/48 | NEC 2500A w. DL firm. | Enermax 350W | mx510 & Internet Navigator SE| CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 | Audigy 2 ZS |Logitech Z-5300 | NEC 20WGX2
_Thanatos_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 05:28 AM   #7
agentkay

The 21 minute gameplay video had better graphics than that and it was confirmed that it was the PC version. There were tons of bumpmaps, parallax maps, highres textures etc. The PC screenshots on their website are beautiful too. Why would they spoil the public with such pretty graphics and the retail product only to look like on that russian site? That would be downright dumb and almost a scam. I donīt think Beth. is pulling this.

Who knows, maybe its the Xbox version when capped at 60fps. lol j/k
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 05:33 AM   #8
glObalist
working as intended

On a sidenote, you're also gonna be able to play in the 3rd person view. That's what I'm gonna do anyway :P
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-05, 05:45 AM   #9
ST:DS9

Heck, If I am remembering right: Daggerfall came out when every top tier game was on Windows 95 and was 3D accelerated, and Daggerfall was a DOS game with no 3D acceleration, though they did have 3D characters instead of 2D. Bethsoft always did seem to be slighly behind the time in the graphics department. But that never stopped the TES games for being the RPGs of the year.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 06:27 AM   #10
lumpyhed
Are you ready?

Do you really think a russian could afford the spec to run it on full. Those are clearly low detail settings because if you go look at the official shots they have all the goodies present.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 07:05 AM   #11
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

I'm a long-time fan of the series\as well, having played all the past TES games, but what I've seen and heard of Oblivion (removed features and now this) is making me have some doubts on the final quality of the product.

I've written this analysis in the official forums:
Quote:
Some of the screenshots appear to be decent. But then others look truly horrible. And yet there's the indisputable fact that the first screenshots ever released back in '04 looked a hell of a lot better then all of these.

This is a shot of the well know prison cell: http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146972 it has soft shadows in it, virtual displacement mapping and the textures (both environment and skins) are of good resolution. I've a hard time believing this other shot http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146980 is coming from the same game! Low res stretched textures, no bump mapping at all, no shadows and... segmented body meshes for crying it loud! Why such a huge difference? Even in this screenshot with the emperor still alive: http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146973 the graphic quality has taken a nose dive from the first cell screenshot. Did someone at AG.ru turned the graphic settings down between them ? Did Bethesda send out for preview a build of the game missing of most of the high quality assets ? (Now this would be a very DUMB move!) Or what else?
Quote:
Why give to a site a highly unfinished, unpolished build for a public preview that thousands of potential customers will see ? Half of the pictures taken don't make this game looks like next gen at all, not even actual. Visuals are everything in a game played from the first person perspective and almost as important as interactivity itself. Because the camera is the eyes of the player. If the world around the player looses credibility (for various reasons, ie: poor texturing, flat lighting, poorly placed meshes, etc...) the immersion factor rapidly declines.

Some people commented that pitting the visuals of Oblivion against those of FPS is unfair because FPS don't have to recreate a whole word thus they can concetrate better on graphics. Well, these people should better give a close look to Lineage 2 (a MMORPG and with a seamless huge world, too) or EQ2 and then back at some of those new Oblivion screenshots.

As a long time TES fan, I'm still clinging to the hope that something went wrong with the preview and they either didn't have all the assets (particulary the textures) or some kind of nasty bug borched the rendering.

But look at this: http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146971 ; while some of the stone surfaces look nice and even with bump mapping, others (like the stairs or the table) are a real joke with stretched, blurred and completely flat textures . Lighting (save for the omnipresent, disturbing bloom effect!) is completely absent.

While I can understand that proper lighting and shadows may be turned off in a test build of a program, there are other distrubing details (like the evident seam bewteeen to adjoining walls: http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146971 or the body meshes with disproportionate hands and visible joints http://www.ag.ru/gallery/14028/146980) that make me thing that bethesda is rushing this game out of the door still in an unfinished, unpolished state.